Gabe Vilardi?

R

Reg or Rog?

Lurker
You'll have to excuse the dumb question, but is Vilardi still with the Kings? Was he sent back down to Ontario? I've been unable to watch any games or participate in any of the GDT's, etc, but I didn't see his name on the stat sheet. It's been a few weeks since I've seen any games, but he was playing well the last time I got to see a game.

What the hell happened?

Thanx!

I kinda figured...but when I Googled his name, it says he's back in Ontario. But I guess he's back in Coach Todd's Doghouse.

Dont forget now that we're past the trade deadline the rosters are expanded. There's a lot of people the kings are carrying at their NHL salaries. He's in todds doghouse, but not Blakes.

It's my fault. I stupidly got his name and number on the free jersey the Kings gave STH last season.

Don't forget Byfield is a healthy scratch too, not just Vilardi. Personally both were playing ok and getting some very good experince. At some point the youngersters will have to be played if they are the future of this team. Playing in Ontario only takes them so far.

Dont forget now that we're past the trade deadline the rosters are expanded. There's a lot of people the kings are carrying at their NHL salaries. He's in todds doghouse, but not Blakes.

Cool. That's good to know...thanks!

And...finally...tonight is my last night. Thank God...I can get back to a normal life and watch Kings again starting tomorrow. And after a quick check on the standings, it looks like the Kings are gonna make the playoffs after all.

I've never been a big fan of these overtime jobs...you have zero life and even though it says 100 bucks on hour on the check, the tax bracket is so high I barely bring home half of that. When I did The Grove for Rick Caruso, working 7/16's, I was paying over $2,000.00 a week to the Feds, basically half my pay.

Anyway, it's over tonight and I think I'll celebrate with a nice smooth single-malt. Perhaps some Glenfiddich!

Don't forget Byfield is a healthy scratch too, not just Vilardi. Personally both were playing ok and getting some very good experince. At some point the youngersters will have to be played if they are the future of this team. Playing in Ontario only takes them so far.

That's true but the stretch isn't the time for gratuitously playing kids who aren't contributing enough. Make the playoffs and then gratuitously play them...or play them to get experience. But make the playoffs first.

Worrisome in the long-term picture that Vilardi and Byfield played themselves out of the line-up. Not what you want to see from 1st round picks. Now granted, the opposite has happened on defense, with Durzi and Spence playing themselves INTO the line-up and staying there.

Cool. That's good to know...thanks!

And...finally...tonight is my last night. Thank God...I can get back to a normal life and watch Kings again starting tomorrow. And after a quick check on the standings, it looks like the Kings are gonna make the playoffs after all.

I've never been a big fan of these overtime jobs...you have zero life and even though it says 100 bucks on hour on the check, the tax bracket is so high I barely bring home half of that. When I did The Grove for Rick Caruso, working 7/16's, I was paying over $2,000.00 a week to the Feds, basically half my pay.

Anyway, it's over tonight and I think I'll celebrate with a nice smooth single-malt. Perhaps some Glenfiddich!

I was wondering where you been.

Worrisome in the long-term picture that Vilardi and Byfield played themselves out of the line-up. Not what you want to see from 1st round picks. Now granted, the opposite has happened on defense, with Durzi and Spence playing themselves INTO the line-up and staying there.

A lot less concerned about Byfield; he's 19 and I don't know how many games he's played this season, but a fair number of games at the NHL level. Not unusual for a kid to hit the wall; I think we're seeing the same with Kaliyev. Vilardi is 22 and he needs to start making some real progress very soon if he's going to be a good NHL player.

Personally, I?d give him a shot now on the top line with Kopitar and Kempe. AA does better with less ice time typically and after that last game, there?s a few forwards who could be scratched.

A lot less concerned about Byfield; he's 19 and I don't know how many games he's played this season, but a fair number of games at the NHL level. Not unusual for a kid to hit the wall; I think we're seeing the same with Kaliyev. Vilardi is 22 and he needs to start making some real progress very soon if he's going to be a good NHL player.

I know there's been a lot of analysis on players and their statistical highs of their 23 yo season, but usually those have to do do with the HOF players or players that have been in the league since they were 20. Have you seen any analysis for players that have a full time slot between 22-25 and at least a 4 year career? It would give a better understanding of what we could expect out of Gabe's ceiling. He's clearly not to be lumped in with 1c/NHL HHOF category at the moment. Doesn't mean he cant top out at a 10 year plus career in support in the top 6/9.

I know there's been a lot of analysis on players and their statistical highs of their 23 yo season, but usually those have to do do with the HOF players or players that have been in the league since they were 20. Have you seen any analysis for players that have a full time slot between 22-25 and at least a 4 year career? It would give a better understanding of what we could expect out of Gabe's ceiling. He's clearly not to be lumped in with 1c/NHL HHOF category at the moment. Doesn't mean he cant top out at a 10 year plus career in support in the top 6/9.
I think you've got it backwards. The stats I've seen is that the average NHL player has had his best scoring season by age 24 or so (keeping in mind that the statistics will be skewed by the fact that many, if not most, players wash out of the NHL by 24). It's usually the HHOF types who are the outliers, still putting up serious numbers late in their careers. So I think if you're going to look at stats of players with a 4-year career only, those are going to be their early years, so you'll see the top scoring age drop to 21-22.

But what I really mean more with Vilardi is that from my personal observations, it seems pretty rare for players, especially forwards, to have a solid NHL career if they're not already solid NHL players by 23. They just seem to get written off by that age and are rarely afforded the opportunity to earn an NHL spot, the teams always have younger prospects coming up who could potentially make a big impact right away. It happens, but I think it is pretty uncommon.

I think you've got it backwards. The stats I've seen is that the average NHL player has had his best scoring season by age 24 or so (keeping in mind that the statistics will be skewed by the fact that many, if not most, players wash out of the NHL by 24). It's usually the HHOF types who are the outliers, still putting up serious numbers late in their careers. So I think if you're going to look at stats of players with a 4-year career only, those are going to be their early years, so you'll see the top scoring age drop to 21-22.

But what I really mean more with Vilardi is that from my personal observations, it seems pretty rare for players, especially forwards, to have a solid NHL career if they're not already solid NHL players by 23. They just seem to get written off by that age and are rarely afforded the opportunity to earn an NHL spot, the teams always have younger prospects coming up who could potentially make a big impact right away. It happens, but I think it is pretty uncommon.

I don't think the publicly available data is really in agreement on this, for example

A New Look at Aging Curves for NHL Skaters (part 1)

and this older more widely circulated article

When NHL players peak: Hockey metrics

Carry a different age peak for various statistical measures. They do both seem to agree that if a player is supposed to develop into a scorer, it's rare that they do so beyond ages 23-24. On that note buyer beware on Kempe if that's true. I do think that more players nowadays especially better have contributed by 24 but I think some of the youth movement in the league may be a lack of middle six vets that are 29-32 and are now considered vets at 26-29 because they got to break in at 22-23 instead of 24-25. There's a reason calder rules were capped at 26 (yes I know the reason for the rule was put in place because Makarov as a rookie was hilarious), it was considered a legitimate age for a young player having 1-2 years of NHL/Pro experience back in 1990.

In any case if you have references to all players peaking by age 24 I'd like to see them, I remember reading several articles that tried to make the point using both gretzky (and others, Yzerman, Selanne, Bure) level players and your bottom 6 types. But the bottom level arguments usually had players that transitioned from top six roles to staying in the league kind of guys.

In any case if you have references to all players peaking by age 24 I'd like to see them, I remember reading several articles that tried to make the point using both gretzky (and others, Yzerman, Selanne, Bure) level players and your bottom 6 types. But the bottom level arguments usually had players that transitioned from top six roles to staying in the league kind of guys.

I didn't say all players peak by 24. I said "the average NHL player has had his best season by age 24 or so." Which is what the article you linked says:

Within the past 3 years, however, it seems a general consensus has been reached. Rob Vollman summarizes this quite well in his book Stat Shot: The Ultimate Guide to Hockey Analytics: “Most players hit their peak age by age 24 or 25 then decline gradually until age 30, at which point their performance can begin to tumble more noticeably with the risk of absolute collapse by age 34 or 35.”

Same with the graph.

war-basic-chart.png

So I'm really not sure what part of what I said you're disagreeing with.

I was wondering where you been.

I'm back. It's over.

These OT projects are always the same: The job is behind schedule and the tenant/client/contractor attempt to solve the problem by throwing money at it in the form of extra labor, and power-up. I've seen this go on for as long as six months, but I'm only good for a few months, at best. I think I've done these round-the-clock projects for up to four months, then I burn out.

For all the chest-pounding about construction jobs being safer as the years pass, nothing is more dangerous than a bunch of strung-out zombies walking around the jobsite with little or no sleep. UCLA Medical Center in Santa Monica was the worst. Mandatory OT ("...work all the hours or get pinked...") for almost six months...or until someone finally gets killed. I hit the wall after four months of that crap at UCLA, and three weeks after I bailed I found out my apprentice fell backwards into an elevator shaft. He survived, but his career was over before it began.

So dangerous...falling asleep in the car driving home...not paying attention on the job...making too many mistakes...brutal.

But the money is good and you gotta get it when you can. But man, it's rough. Electrical work is dangerous enough, but add fatigue into the mix and it's an accident waiting to happen.

I think the problem with Vilardi is that he doesn't have confidence in TM giving him a honest shot. He probably feels like he is om a short leach. Yes he is 22 but some players mature alittle late. If the Kings were not in a playoff hunt, he would be playing more with the Kings.

I think the problem with Vilardi is that he doesn't have confidence in TM giving him a honest shot. He probably feels like he is om a short leach. Yes he is 22 but some players mature alittle late. If the Kings were not in a playoff hunt, he would be playing more with the Kings.

Wait what? You think TM hasn't given Vilardi an honest shot? Is TM a dishonest coach?

Back