Hockey Royalty: Why the LA Kings should acquire Erik Portillo

I wouldn’t object to it. I don’t know him either but if what they say in the article is correct, he’d be better than any goalie we have in the system. It doesn’t say what his long term NHL prospects are though. I think for a goalie to play regularly for the Kings I’d look at someone who’s stuck as a backup but could be a starter. I haven’t looked at the stats so I don’t know who that would be. I’d also think about the goalie in Arizona. Maybe get him instead of Chychrun. Or maybe put together a big enough package to get both.

He sounds like another Petersen. Calm and in position, but you can beat him up high. Petersen also doesn't do a good job "seeing" the puck.

He's a solid goalie prospect. We already stole Cal from the Sabres when they couldn't sign him so I can see them wanting to get compensation rather than lose a guy for nothing. Buffalo is already rolling with Luukkonen as their #1 and Levi is probably their #1 of the future so Portillo will want to go the UFA route. I don't think the Kings should make the trade unless they are certain they can sign Portillo though. And he really fixes the goalie pipeline rather than the problem we have today.

im coming around to the idea that the Kings might be best served looking at guys like Portillo, rather than spending big assets on bigger names. My feeling is that they potentially roll with Copley and some sort of player like Portillo, or a reclamation project next season. They still need to fix the left side D, and that's what i consider to be the bigger issue, if only because i find goalies to be weird and inconsistent (at least a lot of them). They are also going to need cap space, so bringing in a bigger name on a bigger contract would be fairly prohibitive.

He sounds like another Petersen. Calm and in position, but you can beat him up high. Petersen also doesn't do a good job "seeing" the puck.

But Petersen can be great. He isn't, but if this guy sounds like Petersen's good qualities and has it mentally, then you've got a good goalie.

But Petersen can be great. He isn't, but if this guy sounds like Petersen's good qualities and has it mentally, then you've got a good goalie.

I think Petersen is about as good as Quick is this year. I do think sending him down was scapegoating, and without Copley randomly calming everyone the hell down this season would be lost.

Back