Injury Update from Jim Fox on Twitter

Kurisu

O Captain, My Captain!
All Things Injury / Update Thread

Jim Fox
@JimFox19
4h
Update from Todd McLellan-Not good news re injuries-Lemieux, Arvidsson and Anderson now week-to-week.

Last edited:
From the Insider:

Injury Updates
When day-to-day becomes week-to-week.

Todd McLellan deemed the trio of Viktor Arvidsson, Brendan Lemieux and Mikey Anderson as ?week-to-week? after today?s practice. The latter two have been placed on injured reserve, while the former has not, but did not practice today.

?We left fairly healthy and came home banged up, but that?s life in the NHL right now, every team, and everybody?s depth is going to get tested,? McLellan said. ?We knew that, other teams knew that, we?ve been through it before and we?re going to do our best to come out of it.?

Andreas Athanasiou replaced Brendan Lemieux in the lineup against Buffalo and moved into a Top-6 spot to replace Arvidsson in Boston, with Carl Grundstrom taking his place on the fourth line.

McLellan confirmed that he has a ?pretty good idea? of who he will have at his disposal tomorrow against San Jose, both at forward at on defense. Up front, the team currently has 13 forwards healthy, with Lias Andersson?s recall from the AHL, with seven defensemen available as well, after Jordan Spence was added to the group this morning.

?Overall, we feel pretty good about depth on the blueline,? McLellan said. ?Jacob has played, Spence will get an opportunity after playing very well at the American League level, we?ve got to see where he is at the National Hockey League level. Strand, Wolanin, others down there have been able to pinch hit and each one of them provides something a little bit different than the other. As we go forward without Mikey, we?ll be looking at the ingredient for a certain night or a certain team and make decisions going forward.?

One notion that McLellan refuted is that Alex Edler?s timeline to return would be at all impacted by Anderson?s injury. McLellan noted that Edler has still not returned to the full group for practice, and his timeline will not be adjusted to fill an immediate need.

What he did touch on, however, is the ability to find and discover individuals through injury. Edler, on the front end, is an example of that. When a guy like Edler went down, it opened up opportunities and minutes elsewhere. With players going down in bulk on this trip, the Kings have others with the opportunity to either elevate their own role, or take a role from not having one. All silver linings, if you will, from an injury occurring.

?You find players,? McLellan said, of those situations. ?I?m not sure that Sean Durzi would have had the opportunity to prove himself the way he did, and credit to him. If it didn?t go well for the first four or five games, somebody else would be here now. He got the opportunity, through somebody else?s despair, then he accepted the challenge, answered the bell and hasn?t come out since. That can happen tfor somebody else. Nobody wants to see it happen through injury, but if your number is called and you can take advantage of it, more power to you.?

https://lakingsinsider.com/2022/03/...ies-todays-alignment-kaliyevs-engine-sea-dew/

From Hockey Royalty:

As far as what to expect from Spence, he was previously recalled in mid-December but never made his debut. The former 2019 fourth-rounder would appear to be on track to do so on Thursday against the Sharks. Spence is a right-shot defenseman who can also play on the left side, so perhaps Olli Maatta, who has been playing very well lately, moves up to the top pairing with Drew Doughty.

That would leave Spence to pair with either Matt Roy or Sean Durzi.

It will be interesting to see if Spence gets a look on the power-play. This season, he has two goals and 26 points on the power-play with the Reign; his 24 power-play assists lead all AHL rookies.

https://hockeyroyalty.com/2022/03/09/la-kings-recall-jordan-spence-place-mikey-anderson-on-ir/

is there space for them to call up another forward? Sort of hoping to see Vilardi get a shot.

is there space for them to call up another forward? Sort of hoping to see Vilardi get a shot.

I thought for sure he was going to be called up. Talk about being in the proverbial doghouse...sheesh! What's this kid gotta do to get back on good graces, save the universe from Thanos?

thanos-overpopulation-and-how-to-save-the-universe.jpg

Bernstein said this on Twitter yesterday regarding Vilardi:

Dennis Bernstein
@DennisTFP

Mar 8
Replying to [MENTION=15101]mg0879[/MENTION]
easy answer for me - Andersson better fit for team's style of play.

And for all productivity going on in Ontario, none of recalls (Fagemo, Turcotte, Anderson-Dolan) registered a point up here.

So, let Vilardi keep playing in Ontario, maybe recall him if Arvidsson more serious.

I was at the Reign game & based on how they played I’d put Kupari, Fagemo, Frk, Tkachev, & Akil Thomas ahead of Vilardi when it comes to being recalled. I don’t know if that’s just his style of play or if he had a bad game. But I wasn’t that impressed with Vilardi.

Deeply appreciate how engrained the next-man-up mentality is in this team this season. Starting with Todd injuries are never an excuse, only an opportunity, and it’s a huge reason they are where they are.

Unfortunate Edmonton squeaked it out in OT last night, but they were coming off a 3-game losing streak and some of the answers given by Draisaitl and Woodcroft the other night are honestly just loser responses.

Draisaitl: “We’re playing our hearts out, but if you score one goal you’re not going to win many games,” said Draisaitl, lamenting all the injured guys. “There are just top guys not in our lineup. Those are key minutes, right? Nuge plays 20 minutes a night. It’s hard to replace a guy like that. It's hard to replace 16, 17 minutes from Puljujarvi.”

Woodcroft: “You can't forget that we’re missing three key pieces. Four even, with Bouchard out today as well,” began head coach Jay Woodcroft, who is sliding through his first three-game losing streak at the helm of this flagging vessel. “There is no easy answer on it. We’re going to look to adjust some things personnel-wise to give it a fresh look. I think we can be more substantive in-zone there.”

Imagine if the Kings felt that sorry for themselves over the injuries to the D this year?

Oilers article: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/articl...lers-clinging-to-stay-afloat-in-playoff-race/

Bernstein said this on Twitter yesterday regarding Vilardi:

Dennis Bernstein
@DennisTFP

Mar 8
Replying to [MENTION=15101]mg0879[/MENTION]
easy answer for me - Andersson better fit for team's style of play.

And for all productivity going on in Ontario, none of recalls (Fagemo, Turcotte, Anderson-Dolan) registered a point up here.

So, let Vilardi keep playing in Ontario, maybe recall him if Arvidsson more serious.

yeah i dont know. If Bernsetin's answer is reasonable, then Vilardi looks like a serious candidate for trade. If Andersson is a better "fit" for a team that needs to replace a scoring winger, and could use a boost on the PP, that is a pretty damning indictment of where Vilardi's game is at right now. I like Andersson, and ive been hoping to see him blossom in LA, but realistically speaking he hasnt exactly done that yet either. Kings brass has shown plenty this season in how it manages the personnel, but it would sure be nice to see what Vilardi can do.

yeah i dont know. If Bernsetin's answer is reasonable, then Vilardi looks like a serious candidate for trade.

Could be. His time in ONT likely rehabbed his trade value so they may not want to risk a call-up.

Could be. His time in ONT likely rehabbed his trade value so they may not want to risk a call-up.

Amen. I would be surprised if Vilardi and/or Turcotte were still on the roster next fall.

yeah i dont know. If Bernsetin's answer is reasonable, then Vilardi looks like a serious candidate for trade. If Andersson is a better "fit" for a team that needs to replace a scoring winger, and could use a boost on the PP, that is a pretty damning indictment of where Vilardi's game is at right now. I like Andersson, and ive been hoping to see him blossom in LA, but realistically speaking he hasnt exactly done that yet either. Kings brass has shown plenty this season in how it manages the personnel, but it would sure be nice to see what Vilardi can do.
One rationale I've seen (Mayor maybe?) is that they want him to get used to playing wing, get confident and keep scoring at a point per game for a full season in the A without the pressure of having to put up points at the NHL level, which can destroy his confidence again. I don't know how true that is, but it would make sense.

While I agree with the JAD callup, I think Vilardi needs to be given another look and now is the right time. We need to see if he can play wing at the NHL level or not. And I get the posts about needing time to adjust... but also, how much time... cause its slowly getting to that point of being passed by too many others on the depth chart.

Some good players are out but at this point's it feels like an opportunity for growth and to kick some ass. Worked so far this year.

One rationale I've seen (Mayor maybe?) is that they want him to get used to playing wing, get confident and keep scoring at a point per game for a full season in the A without the pressure of having to put up points at the NHL level, which can destroy his confidence again. I don't know how true that is, but it would make sense.

i had seen somebody mention that before, might have been you, and i agree with the approach. But... if there were no injuries id understand it. Let him play. Come back around in the offseason and into camp next season. But at the end of the day, they preach, "when your number's called, and it's your turn, step up". So, the writing is on the wall here. They don't think he can step up right now.

Again, i feel like Kings brass has done a really good job with the prospects and call-ups so far this season. They seem to have a pretty good read on who's ready and who isn't, and we;'ve seen most of the guys called up step in and contribute to some degree. So im not so much questioning the choice, as i am simply lamenting it. Would love to see him get a chance this season, but i guess that isnt going to happen.

What's everyone's expectations if they call up Gabe? I'd be pleased if he could get in 12 mins, be an even player and maybe score at. 0.25-0.3 pts per game. Anything more would be unreasonable.

While I agree with the JAD callup, I think Vilardi needs to be given another look and now is the right time. We need to see if he can play wing at the NHL level or not. And I get the posts about needing time to adjust... but also, how much time... cause its slowly getting to that point of being passed by too many others on the depth chart.

Very disappointed to hear he may be on the trading block. Or not on the call-up list this season, regardless how many players we lose to injury. I don't get it, but what the hell do I know?

I was at the Reign game & based on how they played I?d put Kupari, Fagemo, Frk, Tkachev, & Akil Thomas ahead of Vilardi when it comes to being recalled. I don?t know if that?s just his style of play or if he had a bad game. But I wasn?t that impressed with Vilardi.

I don't understand all the hate directed at Vilardi.

It was ten years ago when the Kings called up Dwight King and Jordan Nolan to give the Kings more physicality, and it helped lead the team to the Promised Land.

I'm not that familiar with all the Kings prospects in Ontario, but if we are calling up players wholesale due to injuries, I'd start with Strength and Size. The Kings are fast enough, but after watching Boston push us around, that would be the issue I'd address first. But I'm just a fan, and don't know ****.

But I know what I see, and I see a team being out-muscled game after game after game...and with Lemieux out, I don't see that aspect of our game improving.

This is NOT to say the Kings are not playing hard...they are...but if Adrian Kempe is our new Enforcer...well...

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom