Jonathan Quick #32 appreciation thread

K

K-Man #32

Lurker
Good to see Jonathan Quick still dominating at this level.
You are the best big ticket goalie to lace them up.

JQ32 for the win. Go Kings Go!

It is very nice to see him back in Cup level form. I hope the East Coast and Canadian voters give him the consideration he deserves when it comes time to vote for the Hall of Fame.

I just want him to wear the forum blue mask where it shows his ears.

In my post when Cal got the extension, I said "Quick gives us the best chance to win" or something to that effect.

I just had one of my older reebock hm sweater done with quick.

My wife got a Quick blackout jersey right before they discontinued in 2012, I believe. Still my favorite jersey.

Quick is still a top 2 or 3 big money goalie in this league.

Sorry, Cal. You're a backup for the duration this year.

In Quick we Trust!

Quick's the man. Lucky to have him.

Right after the cup in 2012 I was stationed in Mountain Home, ID. Read on here somewhere that he was doing a public appearance deal the next day. I took 1/2 a day of leave and drove ~16 hours straight through the night for the ~9am event (hence the pajamas; gotta drive in comfort). Made it with about 30 minutes to spare. Told him the story, he was so cool about it and thrilled I did all that just to meet him. I was starstruck and nervous as hell. Signed my purple jersey and a photo printout of him holding the cup. Definitely my all time favorite King.

VpvrQ7w.png

Last edited:
Thanks to Quick now, the Kings are again (like before all the injuries) beginning to resemble a team that could give other teams fits in the playoffs. Quick is playing like this could be his last significant cup run.

The thing I love about Quick is that he was never supposed to be the #1 goalie. That was Bernier's job. But Lombardi recalled him when both of them were in Manchester because Quick had a little bit of seniority. And once Quick got the job he never gave it up. I also love his playing style. I know every goalie coach loves the technically sound goalie who's always in the right position. But that's not always possible. Quick can go post to post in a split second, or kick his leg up to make a scorpion save. He does anything to keep the puck out of the net. In that way he reminds me of Dominik Hasek, who I think is the greatest goalie I've seen.

I really feel lucky to have watched his career from the beginning to becoming a future Hall of Famer. And it's so great to see him leading the way o get the Kings back into a playoff spot. He's the man.

He definitely let that flubber in last night to rally the team.

Jedi mind tricks all day with Quick.

Lol.

Preliminarily, JQ has given us all so much joy/relief that he could retire tomorrow and be rightly beloved by Kings fans forever.

That said, let’s not start ****ing each other’s ****s just yet.
He’s had a nice week to ten days at the right time after an un-confidence-inspiring season.
Last night was a stark reminder that he can let one in at ANY time - often THE single most deflating time - and that his puck-playing skills have not improved since 10 years ago.
Well done on earning the playoff job to start and we’ll see whether he threads the line between Hasek and just look-at-me sound and fury signifying nothing.

Preliminarily, JQ has given us all so much joy/relief that he could retire tomorrow and be rightly beloved by Kings fans forever.

That said, let’s not start ****ing each other’s ****s just yet.
He’s had a nice week to ten days at the right time after an un-confidence-inspiring season.
Last night was a stark reminder that he can let one in at ANY time - often THE single most deflating time - and that his puck-playing skills have not improved since 10 years ago.
Well done on earning the playoff job to start and we’ll see whether he threads the line between Hasek and just look-at-me sound and fury signifying nothing.

Quick has actually had a very good season, and a great 10 days. Let's not fail to recognize that. If you put Quick against Gibson this season, looking back which of the two should have been the All-Star?

Additionally, Quick has always been a goalie who plays better the more games he plays / as the season progresses. He's easily been the better of the two goalies for 80%+ of the season, so why we continued to attempt an even rotation between Quick and Petersen is beyond me (though I get we need to get Petersen experience in order to eventually take over).

Thanks to Quick now, the Kings are again (like before all the injuries) beginning to resemble a team that could give other teams fits in the playoffs. Quick is playing like this could be his last significant cup run.

Never underestimate the hot goalie factor in the playoffs. Of all the major team sports, hockey is the one game where one player can have a huge impact on the outcome of the playoffs.

In baseball I've seen one hot batter carry a team to a championship (Reggie Jackson first comes to mind). As for a hot pitcher, unfortunately they don't play every game, so it's not the same.

In football a hot running back or receiver or quarterback can carry a team to an extent...but there are way too many variables.

But in hockey, a hot goalie can carry a team pretty damn far. Roy for the Canadiens in 1993 is a perfect example. Same for Hasek in 2002 for the Wings and Brodeur for the Devils and Giguere for the Ducks in 2003. And yes, Quick for the Kings in 2012.

So happy to see Quick on his game again. Who knows how far we can go if he stays hot?

Never underestimate the hot goalie factor in the playoffs. Of all the major team sports, hockey is the one game where one player can have a huge impact on the outcome of the playoffs.

In baseball I've seen one hot batter carry a team to a championship (Reggie Jackson first comes to mind). As for a hot pitcher, unfortunately they don't play every game, so it's not the same.

In football a hot running back or receiver or quarterback can carry a team to an extent...but there are way too many variables.

But in hockey, a hot goalie can carry a team pretty damn far. Roy for the Canadiens in 1993 is a perfect example. Same for Hasek in 2002 for the Wings and Brodeur for the Devils and Giguere for the Ducks in 2003. And yes, Quick for the Kings in 2012.

So happy to see Quick on his game again. Who knows how far we can go if he stays hot?

I think we're about to find out! One caveat, the Kings' last four games have been against bottom-feeders. To their credit, including Quick's. they've taken care of business, which is why they're in a good position in the standings now. Will Quick still be hot against (likely) the Oilers? If he is, look out NHL!

BTW, regarding baseball and a hot pitcher, Orel Hershiser in 1988 and Madison Bumgarner in 2014 (even Koufax in 1965) come to mind as examples of hot pitchers who carried their teams to championships. Still, much more rare than a hot goalie.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back