Joonas Korpisalo

K

K-Man #32

Lurker
What are your impressions of him?

Do you think he will be our future #1 ?

Honestly think he is a super humble guy, great attitude. Hopefully he is here to stay long term

What are your impressions of him?

Do you think he will be our future #1 ?

Honestly think he is a super humble guy, great attitude. Hopefully he is here to stay long term

I hope so. I think he could be. If he shows he can then Blake should sign him for a bridge deal next year and if he holds to it, a bigger deal when the cap shoots up.

He will be our Number 1 goaltender Blake will resign him and Gorvikov. He gave up a lot to get them and isn't going to let them walk, unless they ask for a way out there contract but I think both will love playing in LA and will be open to resigning with the Kings. Korpisalo reminds me a lot of Quick with his speed and agility he is bigger than Quick but plays more of a butterfly style.

He will be our Number 1 goaltender Blake will resign him and Gorvikov. He gave up a lot to get them and isn't going to let them walk, unless they ask for a way out there contract but I think both will love playing in LA and will be open to resigning with the Kings. Korpisalo reminds me a lot of Quick with his speed and agility he is bigger than Quick but plays more of a butterfly style.

I see that with Korpisalo. Im not sure how that works with Gabrikov, especially with Villardi, Kupari and JAD needing contracts. Even if the cap goes up by a million. There should be plenty of money in the following summer, but I don’t know how the Kings do that this year without moving a contract.

I see that with Korpisalo. Im not sure how that works with Gabrikov, especially with Villardi, Kupari and JAD needing contracts. Even if the cap goes up by a million. There should be plenty of money in the following summer, but I don’t know how the Kings do that this year without moving a contract.

Doesn't Mike Richards' contract finally come off the books? (I'm too lazy to look it up) That should help

The savings from Quick's contract and the Phaneuf buyout ending have already been spent on the Anderson, Moore and Copley extensions.

Wow! Dean really screwed the organization by giving Richards that contract.

We actually never signed Richards to a contract. He and Carter signed real long term contracts with the Flyers that we inherited. Dean could have used a compliance buyout on Richards, I think after 2014, but chose not to. The buyout would not have counted against the cap. Dean later terminated Richards' contract after it came out that he had been arrested at the Canadian border with Oxy and didn't disclose it. What Richards is still getting paid is a settlement of his claim that his termination violated the CBA and those payments count against the cap.

The cap hit on a regular buyout would have been real ugly, but it would have been over by now.

Hmmm. I heard if Bally Sports goes bust the cap might not go up at all.

Kupari, JAD and Bjornfot will probably just get a qualifying offer, which is a 5% raise. They don't have arbitration rights or any leverage.

I think to have room to re-sign Gabrikov, Korpisalo and Vilardi, we will need to move Walker and either Iaffalo or Arvidsson.

If we buy out Petersen, his cap hit actually goes up next year, so that is not a option. His buried cap hit next year is $3,875,000, but it goes up to $5,166,667 if bought out. Buying him out after next season is something we can consider. It's a $2 million cap hit for 2 years. Gain $3 million in cap space in year 1 and lose $2 million in cap space in year 2. Trading him at 50% retained I suppose is an option, but that's only $1,375,000 better than burying him and you'll have to give other assets to get someone to take him.

Another potential option would be trading Walker and Durzi, but I don't think the savings would be enough.

I've only really watched him for one game (didn't follow him with Columbus) but he seems extremely agile with fast reflexes. He also seems to have an air of calm about him, and looks like he may have a second level when the game gets close or on the line. So far I've been impressed with Joonas - hopefully he keeps it up and, if so, we resign him.

I agree with all of your assessments.
He can be the next best goalie even Vezina Worthy. Is it just me but do you notice he gives up big juicy rebounds?

I've said before I know very little about hockey, I just love it and when I say hockey, I mean exclusively Kings hockey, but regardless of that I may well be talking out of my ass here, so apologies, in advance, for that.

Anyway, with regard to the Cal Petersen "problem" it does seem to me that if Rob Blake (presumably in consultation with Bill Ranford) saw sufficient potential in Cal Petersen to sign him to the seeming millstone contract he currently has, then Cal has the innate potential talent and skill to become as good as they envisaged he could and that I believe I read somewhere here that his stats at the time went some way to corroborating.

If so much of Cal's problem is confidence and confidence is greatly governed mentally as much as physically (playing well), that can admittedly take a long time to overcome, but nevertheless on this basis and the basis that “form is temporary, class is forever”, I feel quietly optimistic that Cal will eventually rebound and once he does, especially with the Kings taking steps now to tighten/shore up to a seemingly significant extent the quality of defence in front of the goaltender, he may well be capable of becoming everything, and who knows perhaps more, that Rob Blake and Bill Ranford originally saw in him.

That’s of course, if only perhaps, with our erstwhile goaltending saviour Pheonix Copley and the auspicious and highly exciting arrival of Joonas Korpisalo, to become a very respectable trading piece.

Korpi is the man. If he can't do it, nobody can.

Korpisalo-Warmups.jpg

I have no idea since he's played one game and I don't know his history or how he'll click with our.. still maybe semi shot-ty defense (Edler. Durzi. Roy's skate). I think he's solid back-up til Copley gives up the job or he takes the job - or Todd gives em the job for that matter because my opinions = :crazymonkey: Seems like a nice enough dude with sweet metal hair and I hope he kicks ass with us for 16 years, 100 episodes! In all honestly goal tending is my favorite position. I'm glad to see any goalie who can f'king play the position - which is why I was so grateful for ol' JQ. It was like goal tending void of hell post Potvin and Pre Quick here in LA.

I agree with all of your assessments.
He can be the next best goalie even Vezina Worthy. Is it just me but do you notice he gives up big juicy rebounds?

Yes - he does. Most blatantly "bad" thing I noticed. Who was the last guy who left up the biggest rebounds in hockey? The Cloutier? Maybe he's just settlin' in.

The notion of my post though is that I think Copley is not "cheating" the wins as a lot of people here claim, and I think he's our solid #1 and he's proved it this year - his past non-NHLness be damned. But then people like Quick get traded so it's just all a mystery to me now. New guy is #1 sign him for 12 years.

Last edited:
I have no idea since he's played one game and I don't know his history or how he'll click with our.. still maybe semi shot-ty defense (Edler. Durzi. Roy's skate). I think he's solid back-up til Copley gives up the job or he takes the job - or Todd gives em the job for that matter because my opinions = :crazymonkey: Seems like a nice enough dude with sweet metal hair and I hope he kicks ass with us for 16 years, 100 episodes! In all honestly goal tending is my favorite position. I'm glad to see any goalie who can f'king play the position - which is why I was so grateful for ol' JQ. It was like goal tending void of hell post Potvin and Pre Quick here in LA.

Yes - he does. Most blatantly "bad" thing I noticed. Who was the last guy who left up the biggest rebounds in hockey? The Cloutier? Maybe he's just settlin' in.

The notion of my post though is that I think Copley is not "cheating" the wins as a lot of people here claim, and I think he's our solid #1 and he's proved it this year - his past non-NHLness be damned. But then people like Quick get traded so it's just all a mystery to me now. New guy is #1 sign him for 12 years.

Roman Cechmanek oh wait he just gave the puck away in every over time ��

Back