Kaliyev suspended 4 games (2 preseason and 2 regular season)

Disclaimer: I was hoping Blake would trade Kaliyev over the summer rather than Kupari.

It was a selfish act of questionable retribution... and that should resonate with everyone in the room and among the coaching staff. They all need to trust each other to do the right thing for the team. They have the potential to accomplish so much this year. GKG!!!

Yeah, if someone had done that to Kings player we'd be all over them. Being in the Kings "family" we hope for leniency but no doubt he deserved the suspension. The question will be, will he learn?

Kaliyev’s spot is the most vulnerable of any forward. Laf is going to fill in for him now and get a long look. Unless Todd and Blake go “safe” and put Lewis up with PLD and Englund on the 4th line if they want 7 d on the roster.

Don’t want to expose Bjornfot or Englund on waivers but this is a real pickle.

Deserved punishment. Probably far too lenient. The knee is absolutely a hit that needs to be eliminated from the game. Stoll is defending kaliyev on the telecast right now, and saying he thinks it’s a bit harsh, but obviously a PR guy like Stoll will err on the side of the Kings.

I wish it wasn't 4 games but he deserves a suspension. If he was to go after anyone (legally) it should've been Gudas.And the way Laferriere played tonight it might have cost him his job. I like Arty but that wasn't smart.

I wish it wasn't 4 games but he deserves a suspension. If he was to go after anyone (legally) it should've been Gudas.And the way Laferriere played tonight it might have cost him his job. I like Arty but that wasn't smart.
I believe eventually he would have lost his job whether it be a suspension or just playing. The suspension might have just sped up the process.

Regardless of whether or not the original hit on Kaliyev was fair, he deliberately went after a player's knee and eminently possible future livelihood. There is no mitigation for that and Kaliyev deserves no mercy whatsoever. The disicplinary panel should have thrown the book at him. First major offence? Has to be his last. Once a guy's knee is caved in it's done. There's no coming back from that and no punishment can ever make reparation for the loss of that player's livelihood. It has to be prevented in the first place. The punishment is the deterrent and should be disproportionately strong in order to make taking the original risk unthinkable in the first place. The perfect punishment is the one that never, ever needs to be applied.

Back