Kings bring in DJ Smith

Butsy

4th Line Grinder
New assistant coach.
Not sure how helpful he is as he left Ottawa in a disaster.
Maybe he has an expertise I'm unaware.
What say all of you about this?

Will he be pumping the jams?

dj-dee-jay.gif

It's Hiller's audition so it makes sense for him to bring in someone who he has previously worked with and trusts.

The positive to Smith is he made his team better each year as a Head Coach in the OHL (and left after winning the Memorial Cup) and in the NHL for Ottawa (not counting the final year in which he was fired after 26 games).

The negative is that he has never led a team to the playoffs in the NHL, and lost each season in the first round as Assistant Coach for Toronto.

Normally I wouldn't think he'd be one to move the needle, but it is nice that he has HC experience in two leagues and seems to make teams better where he goes.

I don’t mind it. Let Hiller bring in one of his guys and see if they can find some magic. And if they can’t they’re both gone over the summer when the organization cleans house anyway.
I guess I can see that. Give Hiller the best chance possible to right the ship.

Not exciting, but it’s a half season assistant coach. Stevens and Kompon have also been to the finals with different teams, and won multiple cups with multiple teams. Some assistants you’d never want to be the guy, but they fit their role great.

Wait, am I really complimenting Kompon? Yes, because him with FL is one more mind bender in all that is Jamie Kompon .🛼

Not exciting, but it’s a half season assistant coach. Stevens and Kompon have also been to the finals with different teams, and won multiple cups with multiple teams. Some assistants you’d never want to be the guy, but they fit their role great.

Wait, am I really complimenting Kompon? Yes, because him with FL is one more mind bender in all that is Jamie Kompon .🛼
In other words, it's mostly up to the players.

It’s 2024 and Kopitar is entering the final laps of his first ballot Hall of Fame career and LGK is still questioning his leadership ability. I for one love it. Never change baby!
Individual accomplishments have little to do with effective leadership. No one would argue that Kopi has not been a superstar player.

Individual accomplishments have little to do with effective leadership. No one would argue that Kopi has not been a superstar player.
There hasn’t been a single teammate to ever publicly question his leadership ability over 18 seasons as a pro. Not one. In fact we’ve had a decade plus of teammates and former teammates who say the exact opposite.

So what evidence do we have that he’s an ineffective leader?

There hasn’t been a single teammate to ever publicly question his leadership ability over 18 seasons as a pro. Not one. In fact we’ve had a decade plus of teammates and former teammates who say the exact opposite.

I get it, this is just speculation. However, a question to you. What "quality" player has ever publicly questioned the leadership ability of their captain? Just because we have not heard any players complain, does not mean that Kopi is a perfect leader off the ice. That is just speculation the other way.

And to be clear, I am just speculating on my speculations here.

I believe the comments reference the style of leadership... not about the immense respect and admiration from his teammates... and all of us.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back