Manor Kings Roster Move: Akil Thomas Emergency Recall Likely Coming

LGKbot

They see me rollin'. They hatin'.
Staff member
Thomas_1-scaled.jpg

It’s been quite a week for Akil Thomas.

Having scored five goals in his past four games with the Ontario Reign — and coming off of being named the AHL Player of the Week — he received the news he’s been waiting to hear for years… ‘Akil, you’re being called up to the NHL.’

It’s been a rough road for one of the Kings top prospects over the past few seasons. Last year, he was limited to just 13 games in Ontario due to injury. Of course, this came after a summer where he had double shoulder surgery. Despite the many setbacks, he never gave up. In fact, it motivated him to work even harder, to become even better.

As a precautionary move, he was held out of Ontario’s home game Saturday night at Toyota Arena.

He leads the AHL in game-winning goals this season (9), all part of his career-high 22 goal campaign. Being recalled to the Kings could make it even sweeter for the Toronto native, as there is a very good chance he’ll get to play on Monday vs. Winnipeg.

While the exact nature of Phil Danault’s injury has yet to be revealed, the Kings alternate captain did sit out Saturday’s game in Calgary — forcing coach Marco Sturm to play with only 11 healthy forwards. That created the opening for LA to use (what is believed to be) an Emergency Recall on Thomas.

Earlier this week, Thomas had told Mayor’s Manor: “I kind of have that confidence back. I went through a little rut there, I think. I just kind of stopped focusing on the results and just started focusing on my play. I think that’s kind of made a difference.”

When asked about potentially being called up soon, he added, “I just have to show up and try to play my best; and I think good things will happen – now, later, whenever it is.”

Well, it appears to be now.

And his coach couldn’t be happier about it.

“His success, it’s been skyrocketing since day one this year,” Sturm added. “He’s probably been our best player, consistently. I mentioned the other day too, with [a few guys, including Sammy Fagemo] out, I told him, ‘Take charge!’ and he took it to heart. That’s him. He leads the way, he’s getting out of his comfort zone right now and that shows me that he’s ready to go.”

Thomas is expected to wear No. 41 for the Kings.

More to come later this evening.

RELATED CONTENT:

Follow @mayorNHL

Comments

Continue reading...

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back