Kings Trade for Tanner Jeannot

• Traded to Tampa Bay by Nashville for Cal Foote, a 1st-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft, 2nd-round pick in 2024 and 3rd-, 4th- and 5th-round picks in 2023, February 26, 2023.
Oof, that trade didn't work too well. Can see him as a replacement for Arvy on the 2nd line.
Wow TB gave up a lot to get him initially., their fans have really soured on him...(They're saying they were lucky to get the 2nd back) In addition to his size and grit if he can get that NSH form back (15-20 goals!) it'll be a great move.

Dude was playing on a top line and killing penalties, and playing the last minute of the third period. I get moving him down, but he’s not a cement head. He can play.

He’ll fit in on any line.

He certainly fights a lot, but the best part is that most of those are him standing up for himself after taking a run at top line opposition players. Which I absolutely love. I cannot wait to see this guy run Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl through the boards.

I remember when JBB pretty much traded an entire draft for this guy. Now that is one horrible GM...
This seems like a nice calculated gamble by Blake. The kind of thing which works out great for the Panthers.

Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 14-21-58 (11) JFresh on X Tanner Jeannot acquired by LA is a physical...png

JFreshHockey NHL Player Card Explainer

Last edited:
Doing more research on Jeannot, seems they guy had a one stand out season, got traded to Tampa for a heavy over payment, and now has been traded to the Kings for an over payment.

For the player Jeannot's been lately, Blake traded a 2nd and a 4th round pic for a 4th line player making 2.66 AAV. Often injured, often penalized. Not much production minus the 21-22 season.

Blake stated they have had their eye on Jeannot for a while. Was that just back in 21-22 and they have not paid attention since then?

Big strapping body, but I am having some flashbacks of Lemieux. There was good and bad with Lemieux.

Hope it works out.

Last edited:
It’s like once the Kings season ended he found his brain again. Every move he’s made since they got bounced makes sense and it’s pretty shrewd. Let’s see what Byfield’s number is tho. If he screws that contract up the rest of the off-season doesn’t really matter.
I am not so sure. The more I read on the TBL forums about their experience with this guy, the more I am thinking that Blake F'd up again. This guy sounds worse than Grundstrom. Has no hockey sense, does stupid things on the ice. He is hits people and is just more physical. Otherwise this seems like a downgrade.

This player (like Grundstrom) was scratched during this years playoffs. This player was often scratched during the year so the TBL could play 11/7.

I am not so sure. The more I read on the TBL forums about their experience with this guy, the more I am thinking that Blake F'd up again. This guy sounds worse than Grundstrom. Has no hockey sense, does stupid things on the ice. He is hits people and is just more physical. Otherwise this seems like a downgrade.

This player (like Grundstrom) was scratched during this years playoffs. This player was often scratched during the year so the TBL could play 11/7.
I think we overpaid for him a bit, but if it doesn't work out there is no long-term commitment. Without a player like him, we would have no one able to drop the gloves other than Englund. A move like this had to be made. Maybe a change of scenery helps him. If not, it turns into a gamble that didn't pay off and we move on next year.

His offensive game is very similar to Alex Laferriere. The difference is Jeannot is bigger, more physical and signficantly more aggressive. offensively has a bit more nose for the net than Laf but both players rely on their teammates to generate the opportunities. He’s certainly better and more impactful that Grundstrom.

The results in TB were bad but the player is good and he’s motivated to secure his next contact.The Kings should use him up and down the lineup to see where he sticks best. My guess is he’ll end up next to Kopi assuming Byfield gets his own line next season.

His offensive game is very similar to Alex Laferriere. The difference is Jeannot is bigger, more physical and signficantly more aggressive. offensively has a bit more nose for the net than Laf but both players rely on their teammates to generate the opportunities. He’s certainly better and more impactful that Grundstrom.

The results in TB were bad but the player is good and he’s motivated to secure his next contact.The Kings should use him up and down the lineup to see where he sticks best. My guess is he’ll end up next to Kopi assuming Byfield gets his own line next season.

I do not see a lot of similarities with Laf. Jeannot is more of a drive the net type of player. Jeannot relies on this teammates a lot more than Laf. In 21-22 Jeannot was better than Grundstrom. Since then, it is arguable. Since then Jeannot has more hits, more fights, more penalties. That is about it. Just as many, if not more mistakes.

I get that the Kings needed a player like Jeannot. My issue is the price paid and the cap hit. Especially compared to the on ice results over that last 3 seasons.

You really think a player that has been scratched by TBL in the playoffs over that last 2 years is a good fit to play with Kopi and Kempe? I am trying to research and learn more about this player, so please explain you position here. I have not seen anything from this player, nor read any comments about this player over the last 3 years that would lead me to agree with your statement. I must be missing something.

I think we overpaid for him a bit, but if it doesn't work out there is no long-term commitment. Without a player like him, we would have no one able to drop the gloves other than Englund. A move like this had to be made. Maybe a change of scenery helps him. If not, it turns into a gamble that didn't pay off and we move on next year.
We got a physical player to play in the bottom 6. It is a role where the Kings had nothing in house. Probably overpaid but we had to do something. We can't get pushed around again in 24-25.

I do not see a lot of similarities with Laf. Jeannot is more of a drive the net type of player. Jeannot relies on this teammates a lot more than Laf. In 21-22 Jeannot was better than Grundstrom. Since then, it is arguable. Since then Jeannot has more hits, more fights, more penalties. That is about it. Just as many, if not more mistakes.

I get that the Kings needed a player like Jeannot. My issue is the price paid and the cap hit. Especially compared to the on ice results over that last 3 seasons.

You really think a player that has been scratched by TBL in the playoffs over that last 2 years is a good fit to play with Kopi and Kempe? I am trying to research and learn more about this player, so please explain you position here. I have not seen anything from this player, nor read any comments about this player over the last 3 years that would lead me to agree with your statement. I must be missing something.

The cost to acquire Jeannot was high if the player he was in Tampa is the player he’s going to be in LA. I think it’s reasonable to assume he isn’t the 24 goal scorer he was in Nashville. I also think it’s reasonable to look at how his time on ice and role was diminished in TB and assume he’s a better than the results showed.

My assumption is Jeannot was acquired by Blake to be used in a role closer to how he was used in Nashville. Take a look at his Edge profile from his 21-22 season and compare just the individual skating data to Laf’s just complete season. Top speed and burst are near identical. Both well above average.

Now on that same Edge page you can see where Jeannot’s goals and shots on goal came from. He has a nose for the home plate area. The hardest part of the ice is where he’s comfortable. I’ve watched every single Grundstrom game as a King. That’s not his game at all. He’s a very good forechecker but he’s never been particularly effective in the slot or in front of the net.

A player who has no fear of the front of the net and who has shown the ability to generate shots on goal from that area is exactly who you want on the ice next to playmakers like Kopitar and Kempe. On top of that he’s a very good skater and he’s brings the element of physicality with a real edge to his game.

Taking a 2nd round pick gamble with Jeannot is a risk worth taking. There’s nobody in the free agent market with his potential upside who would even consider signing in LA for 1 year 2.66M.

The cost to acquire Jeannot was high if the player he was in Tampa is the player he’s going to be in LA. I think it’s reasonable to assume he isn’t the 24 goal scorer he was in Nashville. I also think it’s reasonable to look at how his time on ice and role was diminished in TB and assume he’s a better than the results showed.

My assumption is Jeannot was acquired by Blake to be used in a role closer to how he was used in Nashville. Take a look at his Edge profile from his 21-22 season and compare just the individual skating data to Laf’s just complete season. Top speed and burst are near identical. Both well above average.

Now on that same Edge page you can see where Jeannot’s goals and shots on goal came from. He has a nose for the home plate area. The hardest part of the ice is where he’s comfortable. I’ve watched every single Grundstrom game as a King. That’s not his game at all. He’s a very good forechecker but he’s never been particularly effective in the slot or in front of the net.

A player who has no fear of the front of the net and who has shown the ability to generate shots on goal from that area is exactly who you want on the ice next to playmakers like Kopitar and Kempe. On top of that he’s a very good skater and he’s brings the element of physicality with a real edge to his game.

Taking a 2nd round pick gamble with Jeannot is a risk worth taking. There’s nobody in the free agent market with his potential upside who would even consider signing in LA for 1 year 2.66M.

Reports are that Jeannot has lost a step after repeated injuries.

Through the 21-22 season Jeannot had a shooting percentage of over 20%. That was not sustainable. The next two years with the Preds and Bolts his shooting percentage dropped to 5%.

If you watch how Jeannot scored his goals, he scored them while driving the net. Not camping out in front of the net. They were either tip-ins on outnumber breaks, deflections or rebounds as he was skating by. A few were scored while camped out in front.

In 21-22 Jeannot was able to be effective when he was playing with Sissions and Trenin, He was hot, lucky and had a shooting percentage over 20%. He was not the same player in 22-23 when playing with Sissions and Trenin/Duchene. The Preds did not waste any time and got rid of him. After the trade his struggles continued in Tampa that year. The next year saw similar stats. Both of those years in Tampa he was healthy scratched from games during the playoffs. Jeannot has not been the same player (on the Preds, or Lightning) since that 21-22 season.

Somehow Blake thinks the Kings are going to get more out of him? I am not so sure. PLD came here and had arguably one of his worst seasons. PLD was pretty much on top of his game before the trade. Jeannot, is not at the top of his game and has not been for 2 seasons.

I get that we need this type of player. If we get the 21-22 version of Jeannot then that will probably be fine. However, if we get the latest version of Jeannot, the one that Preds and Lightning fans grew to hate. The one were they wanted him traded away for a bag of pucks. Well, that probably will not be fine.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back