Kopitar wins Messier NHL Leadership Award

Congrats to Kopitar! That’s a great testiment of his leadership, something that has been questioned here quite often.

Congratulations to Kopitar! Like most of you I was looking up during intermission going Wtf why Kopi being interviewed? I figured it out before I had to unmute it. Good on him.

So weird since LGK has him on the fourth line and headed for early retirement. I’m almost starting to question the logic around here…. Almost

So weird since LGK has him on the fourth line and headed for early retirement. I’m almost starting to question the logic around here…. Almost

For clarity's sake, may I direct your attention to the LGK spirit animal:
49173345.jpg

Eff the haters Anze, job well done.

Aside: That spirit animal may be my new avatar. hmmm. I'll sleep on it. =)

Loved the fact that he and Gordie Howe are the only two players in history to lead the same team in scoring at least 14 times!

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy for Kopitar, just a nice overall player. He has had a great run with the Kings and NHL.

Congratulations to the Captain. That's a rock solid award with Mark Messier's name behind it. It's certainly an admirable achievement, especially the scoring comparison with Gordie Howe. When you think that every time Anze takes to the ice he lights the place up it's no wonder he's skating slower as he gets older...it must feel like he's skating through slush.

not bad company!! This stat alone should be his ticket to the HHOF on the first ballot.

I dont know if he can realistically carry a first ballot yet, another cup and now we're talking. The HHOF is a weird animal, he and Drew are probably the only two with a chance for serious consideration. Goalies are notoriously under represented in the hall and there's going to be a few going in ahead of Quick with Bobby Lou, Lundqvist ahead of him and arguably Price in line somewhere. They tend to weight first team allstars pretty strongly (not all star games) and by those measures the Selke's and Norris helps (Carlyle is still the most recent Norris winner not in the hall). Getting jobbed by Lundqvist for the vezina in 2012 is really going to hurt the case for Quick. Still I would stand behind all three's nominations, particularly in light of their international work/standing with respect to their individual countries.

I think Quick gets serious consideration too. Not sure about first ballot,but I think he winds up getting in eventually. I think Drew might be more questionable considering how poorly he played for about a 3 year period. Kopi only really had one bad season and it turned out he played the whole year hurt.

I think Kopi is in for sure and I think this helps his first ballot chances a lot. Kopi is going to get in for being the first Slovenian player and then a player who was top-20 rather than just another player. 1000 points and 2 Cups + individual awards was good for making him a near-sure thing. This award helps write his first ballot resume. If I was writing Kopi's story, I'd play up the Slovenia angle. The Messier award acknowledges what he is doing off the ice to grow the game internationally, which could be a big discriminator over the other 1000 point games.

Like Jammer, I think Doughty gets serious consideration. 2 Cups, 2 Golds, Norris, great point shares. I thought Quick was a long shot and he still is but 2 years like last season and he's got a great chance. The Hall is tough on goalies but I think passing Miller for US-born wins (391) and then getting to 400 wins should get him in.

Congrats to Kopi on the win.

I think Quick gets serious consideration too. Not sure about first ballot,but I think he winds up getting in eventually. I think Drew might be more questionable considering how poorly he played for about a 3 year period. Kopi only really had one bad season and it turned out he played the whole year hurt.

If I was laying odds, you'd get a far better return on Quick, and if you dont suspect a reason... Well there's a reason they're booking that action.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back