LA Kings, AEG, & ASEC Acquire Historic Paramount Iceland Facility

When I first read this headline I thought they bought a facility in Iceland!! Was thinking they could use Bjork to promote it.

I think I played there in the early 80s. It didn't have plexiglass...it was chain link, right? Or am I thinking of another rink?

jom

Pretty cool that it was still owned by a member of the Zamboni family. Glad it's going to get an update. My daughter used to like it when my husband & I had games here back in the early 2000s because they had a fun game room with vending machines - there was a Dance Dance Revolution game, and I could convince her she was doing really well at it when she was actually just "dancing" to the demo without me having to put in any money - she was like 3 or 4.

they also had really good hot chocolate in the vending machine, an actual live organist during public skates, and the original Zamboni, of course!

I think I played there in the early 80s. It didn't have plexiglass...it was chain link, right? Or am I thinking of another rink?

jom

You are partially correct. It didnt have plexiglass, it had a net, lol! But in recent years Paramount added plexiglass. I skated a couple clinics about 5 years ago at Paramount when I had my stint as a goalie, it felt so awesome being back there! Really hoping to play there again when they finish the renovations!

Regarding chainlink, Norwalk had chainlink (I played two years of Midget at Norwalk, 90-92). They had also added plexiglass though. Sadly that rink closed on March 16, 2008. :(

Last edited:
You are partially correct. It didnt have plexiglass, it had a net, lol! But in recent years Paramount added plexiglass. I skated a couple clinics about 5 years ago at Paramount when I had my stint as a goalie, it felt so awesome being back there! Really hoping to play there again when they finish the renovations!

Regarding chainlink, Norwalk had chainlink (I played two years of Midget at Norwalk, 90-92). They had also added plexiglass though. Sadly that rink closed on March 16, 2008. :(

OK, it seems I'm mixed up. It was Norwalk I played in that had the chainlink. I'm unsure I played at Paramount.

I did notice in article the Kings bought (or did something) with the Glendale rink. I did play there...in fact the only game I played in we had SIX skaters and a goalie. That was exhausting...thought I was going to die...at the age of 22. lol

There was also a rink in Torrance that the ice sank in one of the corners...funny how the puck would always find its way to that area of the ice. :D

jom

There was also a rink in Torrance that the ice sank in one of the corners...funny how the puck would always find its way to that area of the ice. :D

jom

Pretty sure you're thinking of Skating Edge/Bay Harbor for this one. The one with a wall at one end? Played sooooo many games there in the SoCaHL league. Lots of good memories. Had a giant orange circular bench at the entrance with fake geese flying over. My daughter loved to run around that bench.... Around the same time as she thought she was playing Dance Dance Revolution at Paramount, lol. (My husband & I were on 2 teams....our daughter spent a lot of time running around hockey rinks.)
Skating Edge was owned by former King, Vic Venaski. I remember him telling us once that the most he ever made in a season as a King was $35,000.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Skating Edge/Bay Harbor for this one. The one with a wall at one end? Played sooooo many games there in the SoCaHL league. Lots of good memories. Had a giant orange circular bench at the entrance with fake geese flying over. My daughter loved to run around that bench.... Around the same time as she thought she was playing Dance Dance Revolution at Paramount, lol. (My husband & I were on 2 teams....our daughter spent a lot of time running around hockey rinks.)
Skating Edge was owned by former King, Vic Venaski. I remember him telling us once that the most he ever made in a season as a King was $35,000.

My only claim to fame was getting a hat trick at the Brea Mall ice rink (long gone). Neither my GF at the time nor family was there to see it...so I guess it didn't happen. heh

jom

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back