***LA Kings @ Colorado Avalanche GDT 4/13/22 6:30pm on TNT***

Made it through the first period and checked out, caught up on some other TV and drank. The writing was on the wall after P1.

Started the replay this morning and first goal you knew. It was literally the first two minutes of the game in our zone. Normally I'd say would be good if our goalies could make a big save, but when you let that team in your zone that long, it's going in one way or another.

3rd game in 4 nights. Didn't get into Colorado until 2 a.m. Colorado riding a 6-game win streak, with only 4 losses at home all season and coming off of 3 days rest. Knew we were going to end up with the L, but allowing 9 goals is ridiculous. It didn't even seem that Colorado was trying to run up the score. We were just so outclassed.

Just thankful the Kings scored 3 goals. Also not sure why McClellan is always so quick to pull Quick when he starts slow, but consistently leave Petersen in to work things out when he gets off to a slow start. Hard to believe Petersen gave the Kings a better chance to win at that point.

Just thankful the Kings scored 3 goals. Also not sure why McClellan is always so quick to pull Quick when he starts slow, but consistently leave Petersen in to work things out when he gets off to a slow start. Hard to believe Petersen gave the Kings a better chance to win at that point.

To be fair, Petersen only gave up six during his time, so in less than two games he has given up 12.

I can't speak for the Peterson part, but I have to believe the Todd and Quick have this on the same page regarding how to treat him. Quick isn't going to ever ask to be pulled, but he's definitely shown over the years that when he's off, he's really off and there's no point in making it spiral.

Blake should have two priorities this offseason. 1) find a goal scoring winger that can score on the power play. Maybe that's Kaliyev in the near future but it's not him today and it might not be him next season. Get a winger who can move Iafallo down the lineup and who can score some damn goals with the man advantage. 2) improve the goaltending. Giving Peterson that contract extension is looking like a near disaster right now and Quick shouldn't play more than 15-20 games next season. Thankfully I like where the D Corp. is all things considered. It could use some help on the left side but several of the kids took a big step this season and they're now NHLers so you don't want to squeeze them out with too many vets.

Blake should have two priorities this offseason. 1) find a goal scoring winger that can score on the power play. Maybe that's Kaliyev in the near future but it's not him today and it might not be him next season. Get a winger who can move Iafallo down the lineup and who can score some damn goals with the man advantage. 2) improve the goaltending. Giving Peterson that contract extension is looking like a near disaster right now and Quick shouldn't play more than 15-20 games next season. Thankfully I like where the D Corp. is all things considered. It could use some help on the left side but several of the kids took a big step this season and they're now NHLers so you don't want to squeeze them out with too many vets.

Agree about goaltending. Long-term, it is a big question mark at best. Quick's career is winding down (and a fabulous one it has been), and Petersen has been suspect. Remember in 2008/2009 when Quick took the goaltending job and never let it go? Petersen has been given the same opportunity and has hardly taken charge. Either way, for the Kings to be a Cup contender, some one else is going to have to be in goal. Where that goalie comes from I have no idea? Trade for either a current starter or prospect? UFA? I saw a post (so this is not my idea) about trying to get Wallstedt from Minny with Faber going the other way. Intriguing idea. It might take something like that to solidify the Kings goaltending? Remember the "Bridge to Bernier"? It's not clear who the "Bernier" even is, in that equation.

I'm not sure this is really the year to be evaluating long term goaltending options. I'm much more worried about resolving the PP issues next season.

I think our entire defense will take a huge step forward next year just by being healthy at the beginning of the season.

If they don?t get bigger and tougher they won?t be able to compete in a 7 game series. Adding some character players will be key as well.

If they don’t get bigger and tougher they won’t be able to compete in a 7 game series. Adding some character players will be key as well.

Hell, we need size. Kids having time to grow will help a ton if they take it seriously.

I'm not sure this is really the year to be evaluating long term goaltending options. I'm much more worried about resolving the PP issues next season.

I think our entire defense will take a huge step forward next year just by being healthy at the beginning of the season.

Evaluating goalies in a pro league with an almost entire D corps of younger/emergency players is hard.

I've asked a few times and don't think anyone's really commented: If we made the playoffs, who is our goalie?

Last edited:
Hell, we need size. Kids having time to grow will help a ton if they take it seriously.

Evaluating goalies in a pro league with an almost entire D corps of younger/emergency players is hard.

I've asked a few times and don't think anyone's really commented: If we made the playoffs, who is our goalie?

I think everyone is waiting to see IF the Kings make the playoffs before engaging in any speculation about personnel.

Not getting any help yet tonight. VGK leads in Calgary and Min vs Dal may be a 3-point game.

Unfortunally I don?t think we?ll make the playoffs, sorry for being a Debbie Downer. But if we do, I really think Quick will be given the chance as starting goalie based on his playoff experience and track record.

We aren't going to catch Edmonton now, which makes them our ally.

You can make an argument that their beating Nashville is better than the other way around.

Nashville's remaining schedule is pretty brutal. 6 of their final 8 against teams above them in the standings. After a game against Chicago, their next six are St. Louis, Calgary, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Calgary and Colorado.

A point ahead of us with two games in hand. Call it a 3-point lead.

I think Saturday's game tells us whether we have a real shot or not.

Vegas is getting real healthy and handly beat the flames and they have one game on hand on the Kings. the only bright spot is the kIngs play teams that are lower than them in points and should win the majority of those games.

Every time Cal has a great game I am convinced to like him, but then he almost always follows it up with a stinker and I'm like, "no...he is NOT the goalie of the future". And, you can always tell when he's not "on" from the first couple of saves. I really didn't think we'd be ending this season with goaltending as our biggest question mark. Would have helped if Quickie had just full on sucked this season so we'd all be good with him moving on, but, noooo - he had to go and have a semi-spectacular season.

Every time Cal has a great game I am convinced to like him, but then he almost always follows it up with a stinker and I'm like, "no...he is NOT the goalie of the future". And, you can always tell when he's not "on" from the first couple of saves. I really didn't think we'd be ending this season with goaltending as our biggest question mark. Would have helped if Quickie had just full on sucked this season so we'd all be good with him moving on, but, noooo - he had to go and have a semi-spectacular season.

10 mil tied up in goalies next year somehow. Brutal.

Back
Top Bottom