***LA Kings @ Nashville Predators GDT 1/31/24 4:30pm on TNT, max, & BSW***

I don’t know if both can stay up when 33 and 46 come back. Hoven thinks they will go with 12 forwards and 7 defensemen.
Oh right, JAD. I was thinking Turc and Laf take Grundstrom and Kaliyev’s places, and save on cap since Carl makes 1.3M. So what about JAD? What really is the plan there?

Oh right, JAD. I was thinking Turc and Laf take Grundstrom and Kaliyev’s places, and save on cap since Carl makes 1.3M. So what about JAD? What really is the plan there?
I think they can safely waive JAD when the time comes. Doubt any team would claim him.

I think they can safely waive JAD when the time comes. Doubt any team would claim him.
I doubt it, unless Vegas is still super injury plagued by then. Not joking.

Turc and Laf are undoubtedly part of the future and can provide good if not great value the next several seasons when that’s badly needed. I know that’s known by all, but for the massive risky swing Blake took in getting PLD what sense is there in being conservative now by keeping JAD on this roster over either of those two?

I think there is very little doubt that Grundstrom would absolutely get snatched or signed by half the teams in the league. A team like Pitt or TO could line him up on wing with Crosby, Marner, Kucherov and the dude would probably score 25-30 goals. We’ve seen plenty of dime a dozen wingers play with those types of guys and score the lights out. Fact if the matter is, the Kings are much longer in WILL than they are SKILL. Hence why when their confidence was smashed, they suddenly fell back to earth over the last 14 games. We simply do not have the same kind of game breaking HIGH end talent that a lot of other teams do(or blame the system we play, take your pick). Don’t even get me started on what a guy like Adrian Kempe would be doing next to Crosby.. but I’d say it would be reminiscent of Big Joe assisting Cheechoo to a rocket Richard trophy. Hell, even Kaliyev or Fagemo probably get 25-30 next to an assist wizard.

It happens to every player time to time, but coaches need to respond and make adjustments but our coach seems to be unable to do this.

I think there is very little doubt that Grundstrom would absolutely get snatched or signed by half the teams in the league. A team like Pitt or TO could line him up on wing with Crosby, Marner, Kucherov and the dude would probably score 25-30 goals. We’ve seen plenty of dime a dozen wingers play with those types of guys and score the lights out. Fact if the matter is, the Kings are much longer in WILL than they are SKILL. Hence why when their confidence was smashed, they suddenly fell back to earth over the last 14 games. We simply do not have the same kind of game breaking HIGH end talent that a lot of other teams do(or blame the system we play, take your pick). Don’t even get me started on what a guy like Adrian Kempe would be doing next to Crosby.. but I’d say it would be reminiscent of Big Joe assisting Cheechoo to a rocket Richard trophy. Hell, even Kaliyev or Fagemo probably get 25-30 next to an assist wizard.
I think you are over simplifying this a little bit. Players that can score along side Crosby need to have hockey smarts, at least average skill with good finish. Grundstrom is lacking in the hockey smarts IMO.

That is not to say that he would not be picked up on waivers by some team. Not sure 1/2 the league would do it. Teams need roster / cap space and Gundstrom is similar to so many other bottom sixers.

Last edited:
noname.jpg

I think you are over simplifying this a little bit. Players that can score along side Crosby need to have hockey smarts, at least average skill with good finish. Grundstrom is lacking in the hockey smarts IMO.

That is not to say that he would probably be picked up on waivers by some team. Not sure 1/2 the league would do it. Teams need roster / cap space and Gundstrom is similar to so many other bottom sixers.

I forgot we had Grundstrom on the team for about a month.

That is not to say that he would probably be picked up on waivers by some team. Not sure 1/2 the league would do it. Teams need roster / cap space and Gundstrom is similar to so many other bottom sixers.
Am I, though? If you look at his 82 game goal scoring pace over the last three seasons, it was 14/17/14. That’s playing with guys like Blake Lizotte and Trevor Lewis mostly. You don’t think he’d score 10-15 more playing along side someone who could actually create his own space, and dish some sweet feeds? I will say that it seems Carl scores most of his goals on solo rush attacks, but he has always struck me as a guy who is one of the most proficient shooters on our team, for years now.

I dump Fagemo, Kaliyev, JAD before sending Laf/Turc back down. Not sure if that's enough to make the roster work.
Using Cap Friendly Armchair GM feature I came up with this:

Byfield/Kopi/Juice
Fiala/Danault/Moore
Turcotte/PLD/Arvy
Laf/Lizzo/Lewy
Grundstrom

Anderson/Doughty
Gavy/Roy
Englund/Spence

Rittich/Talbot

According to their prorated cap calculations this lineup would have 691K in room.

Using Cap Friendly Armchair GM feature I came up with this:

Byfield/Kopi/Juice
Fiala/Danault/Moore
Turcotte/PLD/Arvy
Laf/Lizzo/Lewy
Grundstrom

Anderson/Doughty
Gavy/Roy
Englund/Spence

Rittich/Talbot

According to their prorated cap calculations this lineup would have 691K in room.
The Mayor said yesterday that TM was planning to keep 7 defensemen and 12 forwards when Arvy and Lizotte come back. If so, then Laf or Turc will have to go to Ontario. And why waste Turcotte on a wing? Move Lizzo to LW4 and play Grundstrom with PLD and Arvy.

Am I, though? If you look at his 82 game goal scoring pace over the last three seasons, it was 14/17/14. That’s playing with guys like Blake Lizotte and Trevor Lewis mostly. You don’t think he’d score 10-15 more playing along side someone who could actually create his own space, and dish some sweet feeds? I will say that it seems Carl scores most of his goals on solo rush attacks, but he has always struck me as a guy who is one of the most proficient shooters on our team, for years now.
Good shot, that is for sure. He has played in the top 6 multiple times on this team. Never really does anything, as he does not seem to have the kind of smarts to get into a scoring position to receive a pass. I mean Brett Hull scored a ton of goals because he knew the when and how to get open for a scoring chance. I have rarely ever seen Grundstrom do this. There are only so many goals you can score off of the rush, or broken plays in the offensive zone.

The Mayor said yesterday that TM was planning to keep 7 defensemen and 12 forwards when Arvy and Lizotte come back. If so, then Laf or Turc will have to go to Ontario. And why waste Turcotte on a wing? Move Lizzo to LW4 and play Grundstrom with PLD and Arvy.
Valid callouts. I do think Turcotte on a line with PLD and Arvy would be pretty spectacular though as Turcotte really does seem to be one of the best setup men, and then you'd have Arvy who could focus on shooting and PLD focused on front net presence and deflections (PLD is very underrated when it comes to deflections). Ultimately have Turcotte centering the line and PLD on LW would be better, but Kings tend to break in their centers at wing.

Lizzo to LW is an absolute must. Moving him to wing has been long overdue.

Valid callouts. I do think Turcotte on a line with PLD and Arvy would be pretty spectacular though as Turcotte really does seem to be one of the best setup men, and then you'd have Arvy who could focus on shooting and PLD focused on front net presence and deflections (PLD is very underrated when it comes to deflections). Ultimately have Turcotte centering the line and PLD on LW would be better, but Kings tend to break in their centers at wing.

Lizzo to LW is an absolute must. Moving him to wing has been long overdue.
PLD to the wing and Turc at center?

Nice dream…
We have enough to make it happen, and it's hard to think that KK has a ton of trade value at this point (maybe a 2nd round draft pick). Kaliyev has actually outperformed him when it comes to scoring and Grundstrom is a solid bottom 6 so it's not that far fetched of a trade proposal (even if we had to throw in a pick).

KK may be one of those beautiful dreams that never reached anywhere near his projected ceiling but man with so much talent it's crazy that he is doing so poorly on the Rangers. Worst case he could turn into a slick skating semi-physical bottom 6.

PLD to the wing and Turc at center?
basically so he could spend more time posted up in front of the opposing team's net, provided Turcotte proves efficient at faceoffs. I think simplifying PLD's game for a bit would help him, though it would be a big ask of Turcotte to center the line.

His play has ticked up a bit in the last few weeks. I used to be meh on him, but I've been a bit more impressed of late.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom