Lizotte

Johnnysuede71

4th Line Grinder
Forget skill and natural talent…this kid impresses the hell out of me and there is NO question this team is better with him in the lineup. He’s the ‘Rudy’ of the Kings. It’s 110 percent all the time. The energy is infectious and the squad feeds on it. IMO he’s as important…especially psychologically…as any player on the Kings. Sorry if this has all been talked about on other threads but I just watched his post game interview and was blown away by how articulate and mature his observations about the game were. He’s the real deal and will be a major difference maker in the post season I have no doubt…in all the small but ultra-important intangible ways he does things. Keep it up Blake.

If he was about 6" taller he'd be the best player in the league. He's also really, really nice - met him at TSC when he was heading into the Keck Medicine area for treatment about 2 years ago.

We love Blake Lizotte around here, no question. I’ve called him Rudy in these threads on several occasions. The problem is, he gets pushed around in the playoffs when the physicality ramps up. He always gets up, and I appreciate that about him, but his size is a liability that cannot be overcome in the rough and tumble games. As Nyssa says above, if he were 6” taller.. well, he still wouldn’t be Dwight King. His tenacity is top notch, though, and if anything, he is indeed the Kings’ spirit animal.

We love Blake Lizotte around here, no question. I’ve called him Rudy in these threads on several occasions. The problem is, he gets pushed around in the playoffs when the physicality ramps up. He always gets up, and I appreciate that about him, but his size is a liability that cannot be overcome in the rough and tumble games. As Nyssa says above, if he were 6” taller.. well, he still wouldn’t be Dwight King. His tenacity is top notch, though, and if anything, he is indeed the Kings’ spirit animal.
I can’t disagree with any of those observations…I will only say that the Kings…regardless of his limitations…play better and ARE better when he’s in the lineup. As my ex from Brooklyn used to say…’Tha end’.

If only we could insert Lizzotte's brain into DuBois' body...

1711464554273.jpeg

Love his heart, the effort he puts forth every game. Sadly, my gut tells me he won't be back with the Kings next year as he may demand more than the $1.68 million he's currently paid. Turcotte and Thomas will be cheaper and the Kings will need any extra money they can get to fill any holes.

Love his heart, the effort he puts forth every game. Sadly, my gut tells me he won't be back with the Kings next year as he may demand more than the $1.68 million he's currently paid. Turcotte and Thomas will be cheaper and the Kings will need any extra money they can get to fill any holes.
Turcotte has a similar motor and a little more size. I agree that Lizzotte may get priced out. I haven't seen Thomas play but I read that he may be NHL ready these days.

Turcotte has a similar motor and a little more size. I agree that Lizzotte may get priced out. I haven't seen Thomas play but I read that he may be NHL ready these days.
Sturm was recently quoted as saying he's NHL ready. He's playing quite well with Ontario right now, especially since he's finally healthy.

Do you know for a fact that he asked for more than $1.675m next season? If so I agree he is likely gone and if so will be missed.

Really hard not to like the guy and he seems like an excellent team first player. Hopefully he accepts a reasonable contract, stays and converts to wing next season.

Sturm was recently quoted as saying he's NHL ready. He's playing quite well with Ontario right now, especially since he's finally healthy.
I watched the Reign game on channel 9. I wasn't giving it my undivided attention but I think they said Akhil scored the GWG for the 3rd straight win after the game ended. So it seems like Thomas is indeed healthy and playing well. He'd probably be the first in line for a call-up if the 3+ person injury bug hit the Kings again.

Do you know for a fact that he asked for more than $1.675m next season? If so I agree he is likely gone and if so will be missed.

Really hard not to like the guy and he seems like an excellent team first player. Hopefully he accepts a reasonable contract, stays and converts to wing next season.
I have zero clue what, if anything, he's asked for. Pure speculation that he will want something comparable at worst. We'll see after the season ends I guess.

I watched the Reign game on channel 9. I wasn't giving it my undivided attention but I think they said Akhil scored the GWG for the 3rd straight win after the game ended. So it seems like Thomas is indeed healthy and playing well. He'd probably be the first in line for a call-up if the 3+ person injury bug hit the Kings again.
Believe he was player of the week in the AHL. His GWG in OT a couple games ago was amazing. 3 on 3 spin o rama backhand. Just beautiful.

I have zero clue what, if anything, he's asked for. Pure speculation that he will want something comparable at worst. We'll see after the season ends I guess.
Even if he keeps the same salary the Kings probably can’t afford him. Blake will move on and a new fanbase will love him.

Same with Grundstrom. Very useful players but the cap is the cap.

Even if he keeps the same salary the Kings probably can’t afford him. Blake will move on and a new fanbase will love him.

Same with Grundstrom. Very useful players but the cap is the cap.
Yep. He can bring up cheaper but still solid guys that I mentioned and free up space for the Byfield contract and perhaps any other adds. If they lose Arvy and Roy, those will both free up space as well.

Plus there's the whole goalie situation. Unless Blake re-ups Rittich, Talbot or Copley (if he heals) ... or any combo of those players.
The sign of a good GM is to keep a solid core and build around them. Plugging in pieces around them. Hard to do year in and year out.
Pittsburgh comes to mind. Hell, Lombardi had a good 4 year run of doing that too.

Plus there's the whole goalie situation. Unless Blake re-ups Rittich, Talbot or Copley (if he heals) ... or any combo of those players.
The sign of a good GM is to keep a solid core and build around them. Plugging in pieces around them. Hard to do year in and year out.
Pittsburgh comes to mind. Hell, Lombardi had a good 4 year run of doing that too.
I love the job the goalie tandem has done this season but it's so hard to predict if that will continue...which makes me wonder if they do go down the path of a more top tier goalie.

I love the job the goalie tandem has done this season but it's so hard to predict if that will continue...which makes me wonder if they do go down the path of a more top tier goalie.
I’m wondering what the organization has in mind for Eric Portillo. A 23 years old first year pro but he’s definitely opening eyes after a slow start with the Reign. If Blake and Co. sees him as a potential NHL starter within 2 years it creates a slew of scenarios where older goalies are more attractive than prime aged and you’re going to find excellent value if older goalies with 2-3 years on a contract is on your shopping list.

Just thinking this through a bit, if a team wants off a contract like Gibson in Anaheim, have them eat 50% of the cap hit send back a prospect or two and a pick and you’ve got a guy who has a pedigree looking for a new opportunity on at a 3.2M cap hit for 3 seasons.

Back
Top Bottom