Local Rinks

EVYMCA - Roller. Run by Brad Werner.

Probably the best Roller league I have ever played in. Great competition (3 skill levels) and they let you actually play HOCKEY. Contact is accepted as long as it is in the flow of the game and the guys in the league are a great bunch..

EVYMCAhockey.com

I played at the new Pasadena rink the other day, and it's really nice. No showers though. The good thing is that they have pay-per-use lockers so your stuff doesn't get jacked. The bad thing, parking is a bitch. I haven't found a solution that doesn't cost under $6. THISUXA$$!!1!

Daxx, I know what you mean. Pasadena has been known for being the parking Nazi's for years now.
However, a certain LGK member (he has been a Fan4Life) gave me a tip. Park your car in the mall,
go buy a bottle of water at Gelsons (?), then get your parking validated. Free parking.

I have never tried this or if it still works, but worth a try.

I just found out a couple weeks ago, the Aliso Viejo Ice Palace opened an extension facility in Lake Forest last September!

Lake Forest Ice Palace

Less than 3 miles from home!

This is great news, as my son is almost 4 years old, and he has been talking up learning to skate!
Looks like I'm going to have to get myself on a pair of skates as well if I want to fully enjoy the time with my boy. I haven't been in ice skates in 22 years.

My questions to the players on the board, what would be the best route for picking up the sport? Beginner skate lessons? I don't want to just jump in and start any bad habits off the bat.
And what is the average learning curve for an adult beginning skating, to actually learning to play hockey?

I'm assuming everyone is different, and practice, practice, practice is the real answer?

I figure I can invest about an hour for 3 days a week for the foreseeable future. I wasn't too bad at skating with roller-blades in the 90s. But that was jumping stairs and grinding waxed up planters, not hockey. I've been a skateboarder my whole life, so I'm not intimidated by speed or aggressive maneuvering.

No matter what, I'm excited and I figured some might not know there's an relatively new facility in South OC!

Anybody know of some roller hockey rinks opening up due to the recent success of the Kings? I hope this happens all over again like it did in the '90s

New ice rink being built by icetown riverside owner off palomar airport road in Carlsbad. Should be ready by spring 2015! I'll keep all my north county people updated!

Cool ! I get gas on my way to/from TJ and my brother got booze while stationed at Pendleton at the Costco nearby.

Maybe Ill take my skates on my way to the SDeezy next time.

Does anyone know what happened at Grand Avenue Park - Chino Hills Rink? We went to play there last weekend and both rinks are closed because of concerns of the fencing.(???) Did someone get hurt on a stray wire or did a puck fly thru the fence and hit someone?

Well, and is there any other outdoor rink in the North OC / Brea area?? Just someplace to get some stick time? (not a league)

Has anyone been to the Claremont rinks? Are the rinks open to the public for free skating? A bit more of a drive, but if it's good, we'll go check it out.

So then Bay Harbor is gone??? I haven't been down in that area for a while now, but it was on it's last legs many moons ago

So then Bay Harbor is gone??? I haven't been down in that area for a while now, but it was on it's last legs many moons ago

Skating Edge in Bay Harbor is alive and well, they did a minor makeover mostly re-did the ice and removed the boards of death.

From the Long Beach area there are a few ice rinks close by but the Ducks affiliate the Rinks have taken over Glacial Gardens http://www.glacialgardens.com/ now renamed Lakewood Ice. They took the Kings stuff off the walls and replaced it with Ducks stuff. Westminster ice is also close by http://www.westminstericerink.com but it is also owned by the Ducks affiliate.

The independent rink nearby in Paramount that the Kings and Ducks were interested in buying but will not likely be sold is Paramount Iceland http://www.paramounticeland.com/ Paramount Iceland is truly a historic rink which is I believe still owned and operated by the Zamboni family, and home ice for the Zamboni machine. Built in 1939, I think this may be the oldest ice rink in So Cal, but it has really good ice. Also the ice sheet itself is huge. It should have good ice because the Rink is just blocks from the Zamboni factory, . http://www.zamboni.com/about/zamboni-archives/the-zamboni-story/

The rink still operates today just blocks from the Zamboni factory. In fact, it’s not unusual to see Zamboni ice resurfacers driving down the neighborhood streets on their way to be tested at Iceland.

They have an in-house hockey club. Interesting thing about this club is that the kids in this club skating for the Ice Quakes really learn how to skate, they make good use of the full ice sheet in club conditioning skates for kids. When the Ducks in-house teams play the Ice-Quakes the Ducks parents often assume their kids are playing an exhibition game against a travel team.

I used to take the clinics at Paramount when Bud ran them. He was no joke, it wasn't rare to see kids puking over the boards during one of his clinics. I almost played for the Paramount Lytes back in 1989, but had friends playing for the South Coast Sabers in Costa Mesa so I ended up playing my Bantam hockey there.

From the Long Beach area there are a few ice rinks close by but the Ducks affiliate the Rinks have taken over Glacial Gardens http://www.glacialgardens.com/ now renamed Lakewood Ice. They took the Kings stuff off the walls and replaced it with Ducks stuff. Westminster ice is also close by http://www.westminstericerink.com but it is also owned by the Ducks affiliate.

Say what you want about the Ducks but they have saved many rinks in the area that would have gone belly up. The Kings just aren't interested in keeping rinks open, most likely because there really is no big profit to be made. Glad the Ducks use them as loss leaders.

Anyone in OC skate at Lake Forest or Aliso Viejo Ice Palace? Never heard of either of these places before last night, but looking around looks like they have a decent schedule for hockey, including leagues. I had planned on going through the Anaheim Rinks leagues but this may be another option depending on how that works out.

Back
Top Bottom