Nashville Hot Chicken

Dr. Tran

Top Forward
Does anyone like this? Has anyone tried it? There are a lot of places in & around LA selling it. Some are better than others. The most famous place is Howlin' Ray's in Chinatown. When I went there the line was 1 hour long to order. And that's not even the busiest it gets. But yes it was worth it even though it literally made me cry. I didn't know what to get since I'd never been there so I got a bunch of stuff at different heat levels. The medium leg & thigh was supposed to be little spicy but wasn't to me. OTOH, The hot sandwich WAS F^*%^ING HOT! The toughest part of eating it was that the heat just builds up the more you eat it. So it tool probably a 1/2 hour to finish the sandwich & about the same for my tongue to recover. And all I had to cool my tongue was a 1/2 cup of coffee & a large cup of sweet tea, none of which did any good. So with the x-hot & howlin' wings I have to admit I chickened out. I still ate them except only a 1/2 wing of each & with plenty of ice cream & even chocolate milk. The rest I tore off the bones & put them in freezer bags to use in future recipes.

Also here's one recipe that I sort of put together based on a few recipes I found online. It's not as hot as Howlin' Ray's but it still makes your tongue numb & clears your sinuses. And it's easier to find these ingredients in stores as compared to ghost peppers or things like that. (Of course if you can get ghost peppers or anything like that, get them. The hotter the better!)

1 chicken cut in 8 pieces (or use pre-cut pieces)

1/2 Tb Black Pepper 

1 Tb Kosher Salt 

2 Eggs, beaten
1 C Buttermilk or Whole Milk 

1 Tb Vinegar based Hot Sauce 
(Tabasco or Texas Pete) 

2 C All Purpose Flour 

2 tsp Salt 
Vegetable Oil for frying

1/2 C warm Oil 

3 Tbs Cayenne Pepper

1 Tb Dark Brown Sugar 

1/2 tsp Chili Powder 

1/2 tsp Garlic Powder 

1/2 tsp Paprika 

White Bread & sliced Pickles (for serving) 

Wash chicken & season with salt & pepper. Refrigerate a few hours. In 1 shallow bowl, mix milk, eggs, & hot sauce. In another mix flour & salt. Heat oil to 325 in a skillet or fryer. Dip chicken 1 at a time 1st in flour, 2nd in milk, 3rd back to flour. Shake off excess & keep on plate. Carefully place each piece in the skillet or fryer & cook until it reaches 165. Rest the chicken on a wire rack to drain oil. In a bowl add hot oil & all the remaining spices & sugar. Rub each piece of chicken with the spice mixture. Serve with bread & pickles.

So earlier this week I asked my chef if we could run a Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich as a lunch special. He says yes & I get everything prepped for the next day. And it happens to be the day that a tornado went through Nashville & 24 people died. We still sold a few. But it was a bit of bad timing.

Back
Top Bottom