New Kings book!

I

Illegal_Stick

Lurker
Hey everyone
Not sure how many of you would be familiar with my brother, Ryan Cowley. He wrote a book a year ago about his struggle to become a sportswriter, interviewing athletes, despite his severe (at times) stutter. So he wrote this book about that experience... https://www.amazon.com/All-Right-Words-Sportswriter-Stutters/dp/B09CRLX3TB/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=ryan+cowley&qid=1664633929&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-2

Of more interest to this site, however, is his book that just came out that is interviews with former Kings. There are 60 interviews in total and they are really insightful, though I may be biased. Bob Miller also helped my brother with the book, which was pretty cool. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BCRX5SSC/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

Book Blurb:

Since joining the NHL in 1967, the LA Kings have been a unique franchise from both appearance and geographical standpoints.
Initially owned by Canadian business magnate Jack Kent Cooke, the LA Kings were arguably the most conspicuous on the NHL's post-expansion era, sporting forum-blue-and-gold jerseys while playing out of the Fabulous Forum in Inglewood.
Their first coach was Hall-of-Famer Red Kelly while their first goaltender was another Hall-of-Famer Terry Sawchuk. Yet, despite their lineage, the Kings had trouble finding success early on. When they did, though, they began to gain traction, mostly thanks to stars -- and future Hall-of-Famers Rogie Vachon and Marcel Dionne.
It wasn't until 1988, though, when, thanks to the acquisition of Wayne Gretzky, the Kings became the hottest ticket in Los Angeles, opening the floodgates for new generations of fans.
After years of struggling, however, the Kings found their way, winning the Stanley Cup in 2012 and 2014.
"Royal Reflections: Tales from the Throne of Tinseltown" is a collection of interviews from over 60 former Kings players -- and more -- from different eras in franchise history, discussing their respective tenures with the club and how they enjoyed the City of Angels away from the rink.
This book is also co-authored by the Kings' longtime TV sportscaster Bob Miller, who shares a series of great stories about his career with the franchise.
This is a must-read for any hockey fan, Kings or not.

and the About the Author bit...

Ryan Cowley is an author, sportswriter, public speaker, and a Person Who Stutters.

Ryan is an ambassador for the stuttering community, having spoken about his life and career as a PWS for multiple stuttering-related organizations as well as Communication Sciences & Disorders and Speech-Language Pathology programs at colleges and universities across the United States and Canada.

Ryan is also a longtime hockey writer, having written about the NHL's Los Angeles Kings for multiple outlets. That includes, most recently, HockeyRoyalty.com. As a hockey writer, Ryan has also covered major events such as the Stanley Cup Final, the NHL Draft, the NHL's Stadium Series, and the AHL All-Star Classic.

Ryan released his first book, "All the Right Words: My Journey as a Sportswriter Who Stutters" in August, 2021; and in October, 2022, released his second book, "Royal Reflections: Tales from the Throne of Tinseltown," which is a large collection of interview with former and current members of the Los Angeles Kings organization.

Ryan is only getting started with his writing, so be sure to stay tuned for more. You can also follow his blog at www.TheBigSalad.ca.

Ryan lives in Toronto with his wife, Shannon, and their two cats, Luna and Khaleesi.

Congratulations to your brother! Very cool and sounds like a real adventure putting that book together.

Been meaning to check this out. thanks for the reminder! And congrats to your brother.

Hey everyone
Not sure how many of you would be familiar with my brother, Ryan Cowley. He wrote a book a year ago about his struggle to become a sportswriter, interviewing athletes, despite his severe (at times) stutter. So he wrote this book about that experience... https://www.amazon.com/All-Right-Words-Sportswriter-Stutters/dp/B09CRLX3TB/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=ryan+cowley&qid=1664633929&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-2

Of more interest to this site, however, is his book that just came out that is interviews with former Kings. There are 60 interviews in total and they are really insightful, though I may be biased. Bob Miller also helped my brother with the book, which was pretty cool. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BCRX5SSC/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

Book Blurb:

and the About the Author bit...

This book sounds illuminating. My curiosity is piqued.

On a personal note, if you don’t mind me asking here in the public forum, but how did you and your brother become Kings fans? From what I have observed, you’re both Canadian, so I am just curious what led you two ‘astray from the pack’, so to speak. Not that it’s totally inconceivable, given that our own Drew Doughty was a die hard Kings fan, despite growing up in the GTA. That is assuming, of course, that your brother is also a Kings fan like you, but I’m guessing as much since it appears one of his first published works is about our beloved Kings, and was written with the assistance of the great prophet, Mr Bob Miller.

Last edited by a moderator:
This book sounds illuminating. My curiosity is piqued.

On a personal note, if you don’t mind me asking here in the public forum, but how did you and your brother become Kings fans? From what I have observed, you’re both Canadian, so I am just curious what led you two ‘astray from the pack’, so to speak. Not that it’s totally inconceivable, given that our own Drew Doughty was a die hard Kings fan, despite growing up in the GTA. That is assuming, of course, that your brother is also a Kings fan like you, but I’m guessing as much since it appears one of his first published works is about our beloved Kings, and was written with the assistance of the great prophet, Mr Bob Miller.

Yes, we are both fans. He picked it up from me, but as for me - In 1988 here in Ottawa, most kids liked the Canadiens and a smattering of kids liked the Oilers. Montreal because of proximity (Toronto was brutal at the time) and Edmonton because of Gretzky and the cups etc. I was sort of an Oilers fan, though I had never watched an actual full game or even knew how to skate. The Gretzky trade that summer shook the country (the government was asked to intervene) and was all anyone was talking about. I decided I was going to continue to cheer on Gretz and my dad got me a Kings jersey. I'm sure I figured everyone would have them, but when school started it was just me. I started to actually watch the games (the few that were on TV on weekends - 10:30 starts here) and learned how to play (and still do) and by the time 99 left, I was far too entrenched into this team to follow him anywhere else. I believe Drew was born after the trade, so I'd love to know why he cared. I guess if he watched as a four year old, he would have seen the cup run? That cup run was tough - going to school in Ottawa and facing four Canadian teams in a row was rough. I proudly wore the Kings jersey the day after losing to Montreal and am still recovering from the taunting lol.

This thread gave me all the feels. It had you being proud of your brother's achievements and his fight through adversity for his dream job; your pops (reluctantly) purchasing you a Kings' jersey(despite his own civic pride) and the genesis of your fandom. Well done.

Kudos on the pet names(and solid detail), not an animal person persey but game recognizes game; Luna and Khaleesi- choice.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back