November 13 Roster Moves

HeadInjury

2 Late to Change My Name
Lemieux to IR.

Clarke to Ontario on a 2-week conditioning assignment (eligible to do so after sitting out 5 NHL games in a row).

Lias Andersson and Jacob Moverare recalled.

I'm shocked on the broadcast neither of them picked up Lemieux getting hurt. He was limping hard off the ice after a check.

JMO, but Clarke isn't really ready for the NHL.

I know many folks are yearning to see him in the NHL, but more patience is needed with BC, IMO.

Sure, he can "hold his own" (play his position, move the puck adequately),
but we need him to be more commanding in his play.

Another year in Junior plus another year of growth/gym work/and
a few added lbs of muscle would all help.

Alex Pietrangelo went that route ---- played the limit as a 19 year old, looked promising,
went back to Jrs, came back a year later to excel and have a great rookie season (43 pts, huge icetime,
played in all situations for his team, etc etc.).

It's just a guess, but I think Clarke is capable of doing something like that roo.

When he comes back from Ontario, I say, send him back to Jrs for 1 last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
JMO, but Clarke isn't really ready for the NHL.

When he comes back from Ontario, I say, send him back to Jrs for 1 last season.

Different opinion. I think the strategy of sitting him for 5 games to make him eligible for a conditioning assignment in the AHL was brilliant asset management. He's more ready than not ready for the NHL.

Keep him in the culture of the big club, keep him practicing, training and meshing into the routine, but deploy him strategically into match ups when available.

I'd venture to guess he is learning more being around the big club every day than playing against the level of competition in the OHL.

I didn't even realize the missed 5 game rule existed, and credit Blake for utilizing it the way they are going to. Also, no reason to mix up the D the last few games while we were playing effective defense.

Personally I don't like what they're doing with Clarke. Brilliant asset management on paper doesn't account for the fact that there's an 19 yo kid whose entire life has not only been hockey, but being good at it. Now he's riding the pine. They better be taking care of that part of the equation or all of this can blow up in their face pretty good. The absolute last thing you want this kid to do is "understand this is a business". That's pretty much the euphemism for getting raw dogged. If Todd's not going to trust him now in November when teams are playing their worst hockey and getting back up to real game speed, you think he's going to suddenly put him into the lineup in January when the best excuse is fighting off the doldrums before the trade deadline panic is setting in? Just like having a kid, there's never a good time to put a rookie in the lineup. You just do it and coach em up. If he's not in your plan here, he's part of the plan there, let him go get on the ice and kick some ass.

Last edited:
Don't forget that there are other defensemen that need to be considered. Example, they can't move Walker (if they are even thinking of it) without giving him ice time to prove he can still play. I don't think this is all about Clarke.

Let Clarke play some games in the AHL, bring him back and let him split time with Walker until they figure out what to do with the log jam on the right side.

I’m still unsure what Clarkes status is? Has his pro contract kicked in? Can they still send him to the OHL and slide the first year of his rookie deal? I think the kings might just be trying to slow roll sending him back to juniors, in order to keep him around the big club for practice and system work as long as possible before they will finally relent and send him back. Even this AHL conditioning stint is a clever way to get him games at a higher level while still not technically triggering his first year of pro? Or perhaps if it has, their intent is to keep him practicing with the big club, play an nhl game, miss the next five games, send him down to the AHL for a conditioning stint.. and the drag him back up to repeat the process.. Clever way to allow a player to get games in the AHL before he is technically allowed to play in the AHL? Although once the Kings play him in a 10th game, and his pro contract kicks in, are they still not technically allowed to send him to the AHL, even once they’ve committed to triggering his rookie deal? I’m very curious about the particulars regarding that..

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m still unsure what Clarkes status is? Has his pro contract kicked in? Can they still send him to the OHL and slide the first year of his rookie deal? I think the kings might just be trying to slow roll sending him back to juniors, in order to keep him around the big club for practice and system work as long as possible before they will finally relent and send them back. Even this AHL conditioning stint is a clever way to get him games at a higher level while still not technically triggering his first year of pro? Or perhaps if it has, their intent is to keep him practicing with the big club, play an nhl game, miss the next five games, send him down to the AHL for a conditioning stint.. and the drag him back up to repeat the process.. Clever way to allow a player to get games in the AHL before he is technically allowed to play in the AHL? Although once the Kings play him in a 10th game, and his pro contract kicks in, are they still not technically allowed to send him to the AHL, even once they’ve committed to triggering his rookie deal? I’m very curious about the particulars regarding that..

Clarke played only 9 games, therefore he's still eligible to be sent back to juniors. They are just prolonging his stay with the pros. Instead of just 9 games with the pros, he will now have 14 + additional training days with the Kings. He could show he can dominate AHL. If that's the case, they might re-think sending him back to Js. It's a pretty smart move.

Clarke played only 9 games, therefore he's still eligible to be sent back to juniors. They are just prolonging his stay with the pros. Instead of just 9 games with the pros, he will now have 14 + additional training days with the Kings. He could show he can dominate AHL. If that's the case, they might re-think sending him back to Js. It's a pretty smart move.

I read somewhere, Twitter maybe (Bernstein?), that they had already decided to keep him up and start his pro contract. My take on the 5 game sit was a smart way to get him some AHL games before he shares time the rest of the year alternating with Walker until they the sort out the left side and the log jam on the right. None of that was directly quoted by anyone in the know, just reading tea leaves.

Freidman was saying yesterday it’s hard for teams to trade for defensemen right now and that MTL, TOR and OTT are each looking to add D. Not sure if Walker has much value at the moment but if this is a time to capitalize on that it’d be a great move. Split time between Clarke and Spence unless one really runs with it.

Just to clarify, he can still be sent back to the OHL even if he plays more than 9 games with the Kings, but he'd burn a year of his ELC if that happens, so that's why most teams consider 9 games the unofficial "cutoff."

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back