(Old Post!) Petersen signed for 3 more yrs

I don't love it and I don't hate it. Sometimes I feel like Rob is just checking things off the list instead of trying to maximize things, but that can get real old real quick.

I don't love it and I don't hate it. Sometimes I feel like Rob is just checking things off the list instead of trying to maximize things, but that can get real old real quick.

Yeah, not sure about this one. Would like to have seen Aidan Hill in the mix. Did not see him play a lot, but what I did see, he will be a pretty good goalie. Just my opinion.

This organization can really develop/fix goalies. Bummer part is we cant keep them. Kuemper, Soupy, Bernier....

He's starting goalie among 60 others in the league, what do you think he should get? You have to give to get.

I think this is a really good contract for the Kings. Goalie contracts have been red hot all off-season, starting with Nedeljkovic signing for 3M AAV after only playing in 1/2 a season. Then Chris Driedger signed for more money than that with only a 1/4 of a season played. Just earlier today CBJ signed Elvis Merzlikins for more money and more years. I think the 3 years is perfect length, it gives Cal a chance to (hopefully) prove himself in the playoffs, and if he can't cut it, then we aren't married to him forever. He can continue to grow this year with Quick as his back up, and then it is time to become a true number 1 and show the league that he is a top 10 goalie.

I think this is a really good contract for the Kings. Goalie contracts have been red hot all off-season, starting with Nedeljkovic signing for 3M AAV after only playing in 1/2 a season. Then Chris Driedger signed for more money than that with only a 1/4 of a season played. Just earlier today CBJ signed Elvis Merzlikins for more money and more years. I think the 3 years is perfect length, it gives Cal a chance to (hopefully) prove himself in the playoffs, and if he can't cut it, then we aren't married to him forever. He can continue to grow this year with Quick as his back up, and then it is time to become a true number 1 and show the league that he is a top 10 goalie.

maybe you're right. My initial impression was that this seemed high, but maybe this is close to the going rate. With that said, i liek Cal and i do believe he'll be the starter for a long time here. I like his game. So its not that i have doubts about his ability, so much as that i guess i just thought the AAV would be lower for a guy that has never truly been the number one guy. Felt like more of a 1a/1B situation last season.

Management is all in on Cal. Will the Kings players play in front of him? Players are indifferent about his glove hand being on the wrong hand. That could cause a rift in the locker room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contract looks good to me. He’s the #1 goalie with the potential to be an All-Star caliber at some point in the future. I wouldn’t of taken less than $5M if I was his agent. Also if he doesn’t meet expectations, Kings cut bait, hence the shorter contract.

Fine deal. Formalizes what we all knew, this is Cal's net for the next little while at least. Quick is signed through 22-23 but only owed 5.5M in actual cash.

I know they say that him being the #1 goalie isn?t guaranteed but they wouldn?t have signed him for $5 Million a year for 3 years with a year still left on his deal unless they thought he was already the #1 goalie. So they?re all in on Cal. I think with this contract, with the roster improvements, & the higher expectations for this team, he has the most to prove of any player on the team. I?m also interested in seeing how someone as competitive as Quick handles being the backup goalie.

I know they say that him being the #1 goalie isn’t guaranteed but they wouldn’t have signed him for $5 Million a year for 3 years with a year still left on his deal unless they thought he was already the #1 goalie. So they’re all in on Cal. I think with this contract, with the roster improvements, & the higher expectations for this team, he has the most to prove of any player on the team. I’m also interested in seeing how someone as competitive as Quick handles being the backup goalie.

Eh, Quick is 35yo, won 2 Cups and has a rich injury history. I think he's done competing as a nr.1 and that he'll be more than fine being the backup, especially seeing how he was always a really great and humble guy.

Yeah, not sure about this one. Would like to have seen Aidan Hill in the mix. Did not see him play a lot, but what I did see, he will be a pretty good goalie. Just my opinion.

This organization can really develop/fix goalies. Bummer part is we cant keep them. Kuemper, Soupy, Bernier....
Should bought a lottery ticket....

When old threads like this are resurrected I always cringe a bit as I read, fearful that I wrote something that didn't age well. I never really understood the salary given. Cal had done nothing to earn it. Seemed more wishful thinking on Blake's part than anything else. They also seemed to make a big deal out of his performance at the World's that year, when Team USA went deep with Trevor Moore as their #1 center. Very strange. The term was fine, but the salary should have been half.

When old threads like this are resurrected I always cringe a bit as I read, fearful that I wrote something that didn't age well. I never really understood the salary given. Cal had done nothing to earn it. Seemed more wishful thinking on Blake's part than anything else. They also seemed to make a big deal out of his performance at the World's that year, when Team USA went deep with Trevor Moore as their #1 center. Very strange. The term was fine, but the salary should have been half.
The thing is, with Petersen's numbers (experience, age, stats), it was comprable to other RFA goalies who signed similar deals.

And when it's RFAs, it's always a battle of comps.

For reference, these are the RFAs and their deals:
Shesterkin - $5.6M, 25 years old: .921, 2.55, 47gp
Sorokin - $4M, 26 years old: .918, 2.17, 22gp
Demko - $5M, 25 years old: .911, 2.93, 72gp
Saros - $5M, 26 years old: .920, 2.50, 155gp
Ullmark - $5M, 28 years old: .912, 2.78, 117gp
Petersen - $5M, 26 years old: .916, 2.79, 54gp

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back