Open Source Thread

I know that I'll be missing a bit with this Linux post...but feel free to add your recommendations as I'm nearly ready to start my new Ryzen 5 5600 G build...

I know that Linux Mint (original Ubuntu base) has upgraded to 20.3 and now the Debian edition is now at version 5... Zorin is too buggy for my taste and won't recommend it to any friend...but will to Ucks/Sharts/Showers fans... This coming from a guy who started out on S.u.S.E 4.2 and took a small vacation away from Linux to see how bad Mike Rowe's Soft really was... XP wasn't bad...but when they tried to force an unnecessary upgrade...I went back to Linux to stay (Mint to this very day)... The more I use Mint...the better it gets... I prefer to use the terminal for updates rather than the installed package manager... Outside of this and security functions...it's maybe 3-4 times a month to just make sure the rust doesn't settle in...

PopOS! Is a no go until they fix that bug that wants to delete it in the terminal before you even start it...

Since the Audacity takeover it's getting harder and harder to recommend it due to the massive amounts of spyware in it now... Will recommend OceanAudio because without it...some of the audio codecs on several motherboards won't work... Sometimes an update leaves you feeling as if you went deaf until you find the right codes in getting it back...and...like I stated before...OceanAudio is the first step... Not sure about Tenacity (a fork of Audacity)...just haven't had the time to test this since leaving the hospital...

I'm torn between LibreOffice and OpenOffice... Either would be a great add on as an office suite to any Linux build...but I tend a wee bit more to the former as the two Excel and Access alternatives are included...

For the Mike Rowe's Soft emulators...either WINE or Play On Linux will do...

They never used to be this friendly with AMD chipset drivers...but over the last year or two...Linux has gotten more AMD friendly... It took a while for my older chips to work...but once they did...nothing shy of a power outage could stop it...

Still no Blu-ray playback as I'd suggest hooking a Blu-ray player to your monitor (or in my case a $250-300 non-smart 42" TV which is a lot cheaper than any monitor currently in use)... It could be that my server chipset from 2004 needs a major upgrade... I might just swap the cases and throw out that ancient Cooler Master case and rebuild the server with an El cheapo purchased off of Amazon...

I came across a great autocorrect program for the Linux terminal...but it's a certain four letter word containing the sixth letter of the alphabet that will be censored here... After 25 years of wanting to type that word in some stubborn codes that didn't want to work for me...either with me typing between keys or the code is defunct...this one is ideal for anyone who wants to effing use it...

The video with the program is posted in the random video thread... This guy has found some obscure codes that make the Linux terminal fun again... I will recommend his Linux Experiment channel as well as another one I frequent (not his) called Switched To Linux... I do have a wrench on the latter's chats...so watch your funny bones there... I see a straight line in the chat and I'll drive a truck through it...even if I have to push it now because it ran out of gas...

Back
Top Bottom