Open Source Thread

Some of these might be for advanced users, but here are some more:

Cyberduck - Excellent ftp/sftp application that you can also use with Amazon's S3 buckets (MAC)
Notepad++ - Much better than notepad. Great scripting/coding tool (Windows)
TextWrangler - Similar to Notepad++ (MAC)
Evernote - Can't live without it. Much better than Microsoft's OneNote, IMO. (Mac, Windows, Mobile)
Adium - Great instant messaging app that supports AIM, Yahoo, MSN, Jabber, ICQ, etc. (MAC)
RealVNC/Chicken of the VNC - Remotely connect to your computer and use it as if you were sitting in front of it. Requires some router/firewall configuration. (Windows/MAC)
Thunderbird - Can't believe so many people haven't heard of this awesome E-Mail client Mozilla put together. (Mac/Windows)

... more to come.

Hello all, I'm starting a new basic Java EE programming class this week.

I have experience with other programming languages like PHP, and developing apps with Visual Basic, so I'm not that intimidated by learning the Java syntax, but I want to know what the good open source IDEs' are!

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of NetBeans? Should I just use notepad++?

I do have CS5, can I develop in Dreamweaver?

I start my first programming assignment tomorrow. Any tips will be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Just loaded Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.10. So much better than Windows 7 Starter. Loads and runs fast.

Any programs I should download ? Keep in mind it's a netbook with 1Gig of RAM.

Last edited:
Nice. I've wanted to try out Linux or Ubuntu for a while now. My laptop and desktop both have windows 7 which runs phenomenally so I have no intention of changing those. Maybe I'll pick up an old laptop and give ubuntu a try.

Good thread.

EDIT: Maybe I'll try running a live version from a USB drive. I'm assuming ubuntu live is small enough to fit on a 16gb thumb drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right. It will take a while to load though.

Update: I love ubuntu but the new "netbook remix" interface is kinda crappy. I found it kind of restricting. Went to the "desktop" view and am even more happy. The little champ still zips. I want to get a Tony Stark type theme like I saw some dude online showed online.

Nice. I've wanted to try out Linux or Ubuntu for a while now. My laptop and desktop both have windows 7 which runs phenomenally so I have no intention of changing those. Maybe I'll pick up an old laptop and give ubuntu a try.

Good thread.

EDIT: Maybe I'll try running a live version from a USB drive. I'm assuming ubuntu live is small enough to fit on a 16gb thumb drive.

You could always try a partition with your choice on boot up? It's an option.

You should be fine with size thumb drive. I think the full installation allocates a little over 13g, but a live version will run off a dvd, so 16gb should be plenty.

You could always try a partition with your choice on boot up? It's an option.

You should be fine with size thumb drive. I think the full installation allocates a little over 13g, but a live version will run off a dvd, so 16gb should be plenty.

uh Ubuntu will fit just fine on a 1GB thumb drive with room left over to add files if you wish.

Ubuntu will use 13GB when installed but is not necessary to use it.
Also Ubuntu will also run on old hardware just fine. :) as will most Linux distributions.

uh Ubuntu will fit just fine on a 1GB thumb drive with room left over to add files if you wish.

Ubuntu will use 13GB when installed but is not necessary to use it.
Also Ubuntu will also run on old hardware just fine. :) as will most Linux distributions.

LOL, yeah I guess I worded that a lil weird, but you clarified for me :)

I am looking into getting a nettop and possibly making it a HTPC later. I just can't seem to find a USB TV tuner card for Ubuntu.

Ill try?

Snort
OSSEC host based intrusion detection
Centos
Ubuntu
Trucrypt (encrypts drives/folders)
Dvdshrink
Cain and abel

I am a techie. I am mcse and mcdba and I want to learn Linux. I can self teach pretty easy. What do Linux people recommend? And specific book or method? Where do I get started?

I am a techie. I am mcse and mcdba and I want to learn Linux. I can self teach pretty easy. What do Linux people recommend? And specific book or method? Where do I get started?

Use the Slackware distribution..........................just kidding.
Tell me what are you interested in linux? Basic usage of the GUIs, installation of servers, programming, word processing....??

To start using Linux install a friendly distro like Ubuntu (Unity) or OpenSUSE (KDE) without generating a dual boot you can install Ubuntu like a program in Windows.
Say, you try the Ubuntu distribution, to install it you can check out this simple .

Some basic programs are installed with the operating system installation like OpenOffice (or LibreOffice) which is a Microsoft Office like package of programs as well as a browser (Firefox) as well as a few music, video, pdf viewers/players so you should be ready to go right after the installation.

For a beginner that uses ubuntu I guess you should use this online book (pdf) to help/educate/learn yourself how to set up wifi etc. It's really easy and you should be able to use your new OS and its advantages in no time.
If you have any problems you can ask me via pm or jump to the Ubuntu forum which has a fine beginners community that should help you with your questions/problems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
That should be enough for starters.

Then later you can try some other things like the linux shell, different desktop managers (linux GUIs), package managers etc.
If you really like to know/learn Linux you should learn the shell (similar but way more powerful then the MS DOS).

If you are a masochist you will later try out installing other things like some powerful tools like nmap or tools from the back track distributions hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had Adobe CS3, CS4, CS5 and now CS5.5. So anytime I've needed to edit any type of graphic over the past few years, the defacto editing software has been a Creative Suite program.

I had a client send me a vector image with a .CDR file extension. Adobe does not play well with CorelDRAW, and I sure as hell did not want to pay for a software license, so I downloaded Inkscape.

I am so impressed. Extremely powerful, very intuitive (if you're familiar with graphic editing), cross platform, and it will open and save as any type of scalable vector graphic file extension to work with other software!

A new must have for every machine I work on!!!

inkscape_main_screen_diagram.jpg

I have been using open office on a home laptop without telling my wife and she thinks it is MS. She is having no problems with it at all.

I've found a great boot up disc... Trinity Rescue Kit and it has the best local account password reset tool I've used. Piece of cake. If you can boot up a windows computer, you can get in to any and all local accounts.

I also use VLC for audio and video. It plays everything.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom