Pandemic -Media catch up

W

What party?

Lurker
So this is a thread for those old shows you just watched (because you were locked down) and your sad (read: shared) compulsion to type about them.

Did it live up to the hype? Were the plot holes glaring and obvious? Did you not "get it" at all? Or the opposite, loved it and need to discuss this show with literally anyone before you take this energy to a future pool party and corner some poor unsuspecting bastard with your sad crazy rant. I got you
Let's hear it.

Mine: The Wire (2004)The police speak and year 2000 drug slang (and outdated tech) made the first season almost unwatchable. I really, really had to focus and effin care. And the "dirty cop" nonsense was (again 2021 viewing) so cringy and sad. I get it, it was the right time and place for this show. No argument.

Unpopular opinion: It did not get "good" until Season 4 (they followed those corner kids to school) and BARELY made it worth it.

Final thought: It was worth it. Glad I did watch it. Sad that so little has changed. Wish Dookie had a Bubbles ending. Those two characters stayed with me. =(

250px-The_Wire_-_Season_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i binge watched the wire.
my favorite character was omar.
i cracked up when i watched da 5 bloods and the guy that plays clay davis says "sheeeeeeit" in that movie in an obvious throwback to his wire character.

i also binge watched homeland, handmaids tale, ray donovan, mind hunter, billions, silicon valley, and ozark along with the top 50 movies on netflix.
there's probably more, but i can't recall right now. i liked them all. the one that surprised me the most was silicon valley. didn't think i would like it as much because i just don't care about tech or the men who work in it. i also hate thomas middleditch, but man, gilfoyle (martin starr from freaks and geeks!) is my favorite.

i am currently watching breeders and the current season of handmaids tale.
oh and i'm watching that disney+ mighty ducks show with my daughter. she plays hockey for the lady ducks so the show is amusing to her and the coach is, son of former nhler jim playfair and, reilly of letterkenny so there are some letterkenny references in it that made me LMFAO.

i feel like a latchkey kid again having watched so much tv in the last year...

Last edited by a moderator:
I started re-watching Parker Lewis Can't Lose on Crackle. It's so ridiculous and so joyous!

I can't get myself to watch the mighty ducks show but may try it with the kids.

I started re-watching Parker Lewis Can't Lose on Crackle. It's so ridiculous and so joyous!

I can't get myself to watch the mighty ducks show but may try it with the kids.

ha, i loved that show when i was younger! there is a character named koob in that mighty duck show and yes, i'm here to confirm it's not a very good show, but my kid likes it and i'm just hanging on for the references.

i binge watched the wire.
my favorite character was omar.
i cracked up when i watched da 5 bloods and the guy that plays clay davis says "sheeeeeeit" in that movie in an obvious throwback to his wire character.

i also binge watched homeland, handmaids tale, ray donovan, mind hunter, billions, silicon valley, and ozark along with the top 50 movies on netflix.
there's probably more, but i can't recall right now. i liked them all. the one that surprised me the most was silicon valley. didn't think i would like it as much because i just don't care about tech or the men who work in it. i also hate thomas middleditch, but man, gilfoyle (martin starr from freaks and geeks!) is my favorite.

i am currently watching breeders and the current season of handmaids tale.
oh and i'm watching that disney+ mighty ducks show with my daughter. she plays hockey for the lady ducks so the show is amusing to her and the coach is, son of former nhler jim playfair and, reilly of letterkenny so there are some letterkenny references in it that made me LMFAO.

i feel like a latchkey kid again having watched so much tv in the last year...

Oh! Omar! You don't know, Omar?! I'm not an internet person but I had seen the gifs about him but had no context which was: he's a bad dude, people see him and run. Got it. I had the same relationship with Stringer Bell (Elba) had only seen him on "The Office" as Charles Minor.
e4e.jpg

My favorite: Snoop. All business, all the time. Total psycho with a nail gun.

Welp, that's a pretty strong list. Homeland. oof. Too much anxiety/tension for me. Since the pandemic, dealing with impending doom and working from home, even when the phone rings on TV I freak out a little, it's never good news. Ugh.

That latch-key kid analogy rings true, that's a fun way to look at things Lunchbox. =)

I'll say this about my media consumption during the Pandemic, I have been reading a whole lot LESS during said Pandemic. :fpalm:

My reading is based on books I own and library books. Library due dates push me towards reading stuff, but when libraries closed, and I didn't have the pressure to finish books, well, it became easier to say, "Meh, I'll get to it tomorrow" with the books I own.

It didn't happen over night. I took advantage and read a good amount of the books that I owned, but starting late last year, I got listless, and haven't read much of anything this year.

So it goes...

I didn't watch it during the pandemic, but ER with Clooney & company is still sooooo good! (watched it about 2 years ago) So much better than Chicago Med, which recycles story lines from ER, but not nearly as well. The writing on ER was impeccable, and they weren't afraid to get rid of characters that weren't working out. The balance between the medical stories and the relationship stories was perfect. Probably some of the medical treatments are dated now, but the characters are what made that show so great.

Hmmm, ER. Clooney in his prime? Solid choice. Get it girl.

Dolphin: I know you just said you work better within a structure but yeah, any book you want to throw into the mix I'm fine with that "throwback". Posionwood Bible? A day no pigs would die? Tom clancy's ...a spy did something cool?
No issues here. Type it up! :)

My kid sister got me a book of the month subscription for Xmas. It became my favorite present by a lot. It's genres I'd never read about subjects that would never catch my eye. Seriously. So happy. And now my coffee table books make me look well rounded and interesting.

I assure you, I am not.

Lois and Clark, adventures of Superman

It's mind blowing that this was a prime time show. Lil miss jammer loves it. Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher were campy greatness.

So this is a thread for those old shows you just watched (because you were locked down) and your sad (read: shared) compulsion to type about them.

Did it live up to the hype? Were the plot holes glaring and obvious? Did you not "get it" at all? Or the opposite, loved it and need to discuss this show with literally anyone before you take this energy to a future pool party and corner some poor unsuspecting bastard with your sad crazy rant. I got you
Let's hear it.

Mine: The Wire (2004)The police speak and year 2000 drug slang (and outdated tech) made the first season almost unwatchable. I really, really had to focus and effin care. And the "dirty cop" nonsense was (again 2021 viewing) so cringy and sad. I get it, it was the right time and place for this show. No argument.

Unpopular opinion: It did not get "good" until Season 4 (they followed those corner kids to school) and BARELY made it worth it.

Final thought: It was worth it. Glad I did watch it. Sad that so little has changed. Wish Dookie had a Bubbles ending. Those two characters stayed with me. =(

250px-The_Wire_-_Season_1.jpg
I also tried The Wire, but did not have the patience to wait for three seasons for it to get good, I got bored. So I managed about a half a season.

I don't know if this counts as old, but I watched "Patriot" on Prime, which ran 2015-17. It is a very, very dark satire about a depressed/borderline suicidal intelligence agent. It's terrific, but I can definitely see why it did not appeal to a wide audience.

140085e603c51b39ee8595f712c165213dde2d6bead6385b264beb006034f2c0._UY500_UX667_RI_V_TTW_.jpg

Okay, okay...so I'm seeing a little more secret shame (guilty pleasure) shows than geek gushing/podcast level enthusiasm for a show. No prob, luckily I can work with both.

Kids shows, 90's camp, caesar cut Clooney and suicidal psychos. Can anyone top that?

Your move. :dancing_milk:

Aside from my usual TV shows some stuff that I did watch was a rewatch of S1 Pushing Daisies.

Still upset they cancelled it after two seasons! Might do a rewatch of S2 soon.

pushing-daisies.jpg

And some re-watch of Keeping of Appearances (First 2 seasons).

fe135910-19e8-40bf-b94d-cb17d05abe57.jpg

Being doing some Themed Movie Nights too. First theme was John Candy. And I am almost done with my John Carpenter theme.

I might do either Martin Scorsese or Bette Davis movies next because of course I might, haha. :D

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back