Pheonix Copley

J

JETS GARAGE

Lurker
Looked pretty good last night. Getting that 2 goal lead early did not hurt. First win since 2019? The boy from the North Pole? 6'4" and 30 Yrs old? <$1M per year?

Hmmm. Color me guardedly optimistic.

7878788-1080x675.jpg

copley.jpg

I thought Copley should have started the season with the Kings.

It was interesting to see him play in person in Boston. He's a pretty big goalie. He's not very athletic, but plays a sound positional and high percentage game. During TV commercial breaks, he'd work on his fundamentals by making shadow saves.

During the shootout, he just played big and waited for the shooters to make the first move. Got beaten on some snipes.

He doesn't see the puck as well as Quick, but makes up for it in positioning. Was hoping Cal would be like that, but Cal hasn't been great in either of those areas.

Looks like Quick will be getting used to sit on the bench. He should retire while he still looks decent. Other wise he will retire while being bad and that isn't the way to go out into retirement.

Im not gonna be a wet blanket here.... Mostly cuz the dude hasnt made me wet yet. I am curious how he will continue to be deployed.

Looks like Quick will be getting used to sit on the bench. He should retire while he still looks decent. Other wise he will retire while being bad and that isn't the way to go out into retirement.

Only if he is injured, otherwise he remains our starter. As well as Copely has played, at the end of the day he is an average backup and not a starter. Quick is still miles better, if healthy.

Plus for Copely though is that he seems, so far, to be far more consistent. We will see how he fares once teams start to more heavily scout him and work on their game plan when facing him. If he turns out to be a reliable backup, however, that is a huge win for us as we have needed one for quite some time (especially with Quick's streakiness).

He's an average goalie giving the team average goaltending. The upside is that average goaltending is all it takes to win some games behind this squad.

Think about how many more wins the Kings would have so far this season with goalies posting an ‘average’ SV%.. somewhere in the .900 range, maybe.

Just give Phoenix the keys man it's inevitable

It's the perfect strategy not just because it's winning, but the best chance we have for Quick to figure it out is to have him watch from that bench. His competitiveness is going to force him to do all he can. You know he watched Copley raise that stick in victory tonight with some level of - that's my net. Even when they showed him on the bench a moment later, you can see it. He's still a team guy, but he wants that net. So ride Copley all year if we have to, he's earning it, BUT, I hope he acts as a catalyst for Quick as well.

Do you think his parents just didn’t know how to spell “Phoenix”, or is there some deeper story?

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back