***Playoffs Rd 1 GAME 2 GDT LA Kings @ Edmonton Oilers 4/24/22 7:00pm on TBS, max, & BSW***

Nyssa42

jammer's overlord
Staff member
TEAM LGK
LGKlogo2.png

PLAYOFFS Game Day Thread
Round 1, Game 2 -- 4/24/24
7:00pm on BSW &
2024-R1-G2-TV-logo.png

2024-R1-G2-Pic3.png

2024-R1-G1-KLogo.png
2024-R1-G1-OLogo.png

Los Angeles Kings @ Edmonton Oilers
Rogers Place | Edmonton, AB

Season Series Meetings

2024-R1-G1-Prev-Mtgs.png

2024-R1-G2-Stats.png

MEDIA.jpg

**Game Time 7:00PM**

TV: BSW &
2024-R1-G2-TV-logo.png

Radio: LA Kings iHeartRadio
Please remember, DO NOT post links to Live Game Streams in the GDT or anywhere else on LGK

2024-R1-G1-Schedule.png

Check Out More Articles & Video on LA Kings Insider Here
Drew Doughty (video), Adrian Kempe, & Jim Hiller 4/22 Post-Game Quotes:

Adrian Kempe
On his main takeaways from the Kings’ defensive performance tonight

I think we gave up too much off the rush. I think that was our main thing when you look at the game. I think when we’re in the zone and when we played with the puck, even when they had the puck in our zone, I think we played pretty well, I think we gave up too many rush chances. Yeah, PK, I don’t know what we were, 3-for-4 or whatever, that’s got to be better. We can’t have them be at [75] percent, that’s not going to win games.
On if he felt tonight’s game was played in Edmonton’s style, not LA’s
I think a little bit. After the first period, I think like I said, it was trying to eliminate the rush a little bit more. We were maybe a little bit careless, pinching and not covering, us as forwards and that gave them a lot of rush chances. Like I said, other than the rush chances, I think we handled them pretty well down low and stuff like that, but yeah, they played too much on the on the go and that’s their strength. That’s something that we’ve got to be better at.
On if he felt the breakdowns were structural or personnel, read-based
No, I think it’s kind of a read thing. Everybody’s fired up when you come in and play, everybody wants to go out there and be physical, all that kind of stuff, and sometimes – I can only speak for myself – sometimes you just don’t think and you go in there and you lose a man and it’ll become a 3-on-2. All that kind of stuff, like I said, that’s what they’re really good at. That’s something that we’ve got to be more careful with on Wednesday.
On the disappointing nature of the PPG early in the third, after fighting their way back
I think we were fighting back all game and that’s something that we have to take with us moving forward. Even if we go down in the next game, I think we’ll still try as hard as we can to get back. Every time you come in this building, you know they’re going to get power plays, that’s just how it is. So I mean, like I said, we have to do better on the PK. We eliminate a couple of those penalties and don’t let them be [75] percent on the power play, I think it’s a more even game.

Jim Hiller
On his thoughts on the defensive breakdowns in tonight’s game

Two things that happened are strengths of ours – penalty kill and eliminating rush chances. That’s what we do well and we didn’t do either of those well tonight. That’s the obvious, we definitely saw that and we’ll have to fix that.
On the backbreaking nature of the power-play goal early in the third, after getting back to 4-2
Yeah, that got us. The Lewie goal gets disallowed, we come back to score after that, so I thought we did have some momentum in the o-zone. We were getting to the net, we had some shots, we just couldn’t stop their power play tonight for some reason and that makes it pretty tough. Once they get that kind of lead, it deflates you and makes it for a long way back.
On tonight’s game being played in Edmonton’s style, not the Kings’
Well, it was the rush chances, it was F3, we lost F3. They came at us with numbers, that’s something that we usually don’t do, we always have F3 and we didn’t have F3, we didn’t track as well as we have, so these are things that are fixable for us. I think that’s really the point that we’re trying to make. is if we can fix those things, we usually do those well. I don’t have a good answer as far as why we didn’t do those, but that’s not how we play.
On the nature of the team’s four penalties taken tonight
I thought they were borderline, it was a couple of borderline, when you could look at it and say you gave them a chance to make that call. There were two for sure that can’t be in our game. They get to the net on the power play, this is not surprising to anybody here, it can’t happen. You can’t put yourself in a position where the referee’s got to make a judgment call. Two for sure.
On how he would assess Cam Talbot’s play and how the group didn’t make things easy on him
Cam was fine. I’ll back it up, I thought our forwards made it too hard on our D and our team, as a group, we made it too hard on Cam. He made a lot of saves, some good saves. They were coming down and cracking them on some odd-man rushes, so there was nothing there for Cam. There’s just no way we can give that many chances up, that’s just not us. We’ll clean it up.

2024-R1-G2-Pic4.png

Probable_Lines_zpsswj8xudo.jpg

Subject to Change
Lineups Courtesy of DailyFaceoff.com

2024-R1-G2-KF.png

2024-R1-G1-KD2.png

2024-R1-G1-KG.png

======================================================

OILERS PROBABLE LINEUP

2024-R1-G2-OF.png

2024-R1-G2-OD.png

2024-R1-G2-OG.png

Former King
Troy Stecher
2024-R1-G1-Stecher.png

============================================
Goalie Comparison
R1-G2-Goalie-Comp.png

=====================================================
2024-R1-G2-Pic2.png
Players to Watch
2024-R1-G2-PTW.png

**Click Here to Play the VBookie BETTING THREAD**

**No Poll Questions for Playoffs**

Thanks to everyone who has played The Game this year!
I hope you had as much fun playing as I had creating it.

FINAL POLL GAME WIN TOTALS

King of the Mountain with 75 points - Rusty

68 pts = hornman

64 pts = beady eye

63 pts = Angel Eyes

62 pts = forum gold

60 pts = VegasHockey

59 pts = SirJW

58 pts = mugs, notbob

57 pts = jammer06, puckoff

56 pts = Liz4LA, pray4mojo

55 pts = KernCoKingsFan

54 pts = Cross Traffic, Guinevere, VCRW

53 pts = dannybuoy1

52 pts = Nyssa42

50 pts = Chateau Bow Wow

49 pts = Randdog

48 pts = katydid213, Rogie-Vachon

47 pts = DRGinLBC, Dr Tran, empire, Rog or Reg?

46 pts = DRice

44 pts = Bill Hicks, Kurisu

43 pts = Byron

41 pts = Drum4Pigs

39 pts = sonnyboy11, symbology

37 pts = Shackleford

36 pts = Rinkrat

33 pts = JETS GARAGE

31 pts = JayWells24, Jerram

27 pts = TooCool

26 pts = Madness20721

22 pts = fake_it_make_it, KHenry14

21 pts = clif

20 pts = waynet

19 pts = Sevenhole

18 pts = Salty Puck

17 pts = CIrvine, HiFi

16 pts = hihocarp

14 pts = Hockey53, JC6388LAKings

9 pts = cokingsfan

8 pts = Ice24

7 pts = rfischer

6 pts = Busted Chops, Dexter

4 pts = beedee

2 pts = Ragbone, Tiranga

1 pt = CHARAzard, PuckMaster, STONE

2024-R1-G2-Pic1.png

photos courtesy of LA Kings on X

Last edited:
Edmonton has figured out how to beat the 1-3-1...does Hiller make a change to the structure that TMac wouldn't? Stay tuned...

Kings won the first game of round one playoffs the last two years. I hope they can flip the script. A win tonight is gonna be huge.

GKG!!!

1396968923.jpg

Thanks Nyssa!!!!!

I know it's only Game 2 but this game tonight is a must win. If they lose tonight, series is basically over IMO. Then again, IMO, it was already over... so there's that too. :lol:

Go Kongs! Stop sucking!!!

Been pondering this quite a bit....I'm not sure the Kings best game beats the Oilers best game, I'm not really even sure I could describe what that might look like. I sure would like to see it though.

If the Kings score first they’ve got a shot at winning this game. Playing catch up will not work. I hope they learned a lesson from game one that the refs will call this one tight. No time for retaliation or extra circular anything. Expect to be penalized for anything away from the puck.

If the Kings score first they’ve got a shot at winning this game. Playing catch up will not work. I hope they learned a lesson from game one that the refs will call this one tight. No time for retaliation or extra circular anything. Expect to be penalized for anything away from the puck.
Yep.

I think the first goal is huge for many reasons, not the least of which is to quiet down all those drunk nucks in the stands.

So I will sing the same refrain as last game:

Stay out of the box - Easier said than done if the refs call the game like they did Monday.

Contain McDickhead - Not an easy task, but it can be done, and the Kings have done it before (re: February 10th).

Bury our chances - We when have the opportunity, we have to score, and start by hitting the f*ckin net.

Make some big game-changing saves - No getting around this one, Rittich (whom I'm assuming will start) needs to come up big time when it counts.

That's it.

Play smart and play physical and come back home even.

GKG!

Even if the Kings score first, they have a bad habit of letting themselves up and allowing the other team to come back and take control of the game in a manner the Kings themselves won't have a chance to answer back. When the Kings have the lead, they better keep their foot on the gas and keep pouring it on to add to the scoresheet and prevent the opposing team from any chance of a solid comeback effort. The Kings are just asking to lose this game and this series if they fail that.

Now GKG and stop sleepwalking on the ice, LA. This is the playoffs right now, not the regular season.

One thing that I think is true about playoffs is that there is no carry-over from one game to another.
The Kings have a chance tonight but they need to make a mental adjustment.
Somehow the Kings convinced themselves that their inconsistency would magically evaporate once the playoffs began. Game 1 showed them that was a fantasy.
This team is more fragile than any in memory. But they do have a talented roster. Yeah, there are concerns. Third D pair is a bit scary. Goaltending has been a concern. Lack of physical play,, etc.
But they do have enough to play with the Oilers.
One move I think would be helpful is to swap Kopi and Dubois. Kopi looks tired and slow. I assume some nagging injury is part of it. But he’s older, played too many minutes the entire year. I think a switch would help Kempe.
The keys are obviously staying out of the box. We know the calls will put EDM on the PP, but we can’t add to that with stupid penalties. I don’t know that I can stomach seeing Draisaitl score more PP goals from his standard spot. I mean, if there is one thing to take away it’s gotta be that.
Hyman has scored a ton and will probably continue to. A lawn jockey could get 30-plus on that line.
We gotta get above average goaltending. Not sure who plays tonight but I have every reason to think it’s gonna be Talbot. He had streaks of being good. I thought the last couple weeks of the regular season he was a bit shaky. He needs to turn it on starting tonight.
Both Dewey & Mikey were not great in game 1. They have to be better. So does Roy.
While I wouldn’t say this is a must-win situation, another loss means the Kings need to win four of the next five. That’s a tall order.
So, the Kings need to decide what this series will be. I would certainly think they would be tired of getting bounced by the same team. I would hope they are tired of losing. I would also hope they can find the pride and mental toughness to compete. It’s up to them.
I am hopeful that the Kings show up tonight and make a statement. GKG.

Even if the Kings score first, they have a bad habit of letting themselves up and allowing the other team to come back and take control of the game in a manner the Kings themselves won't have a chance to answer back. When the Kings have the lead, they better keep their foot on the gas and keep pouring it on to add to the scoresheet and prevent the opposing team from any chance of a solid comeback effort. The Kings are just asking to lose this game and this series if they fail that.

Now GKG and stop sleepwalking on the ice, LA. This is the playoffs right now, not the regular season.
Nonetheless, I'd rather score first and not be forced to play catch-up against this team.

What's it gonna take for a win?

They have to come out hard and hungry (starving). Hit everyone, get tough in the corners and be smart, no dumb penalties. Goalie 1 or 1a or Dollar Tree one or two have to be on their game and no soft goals.

These are my keys to a win.

Edmonton has figured out how to beat the 1-3-1...does Hiller make a change to the structure that TMac wouldn't? Stay tuned...
Much more aggressive forecheck.
Limit using the 1-3-1, EDM has it figured out. Plus, it puts us in a stationary position, gotta move our feet.
It needs to go overall, but can't change now, but limit it and go balls out.

Hit hit hit

To paraphrase Dodgeball...somebody (goalie) stop a damn puck!!

Much more aggressive forecheck.
Limit using the 1-3-1, EDM has it figured out. Plus, it puts us in a stationary position, gotta move our feet.
It needs to go overall, but can't change now, but limit it and go balls out.

Hit hit hit

To paraphrase Dodgeball...somebody (goalie) stop a damn puck!!
Yup.

We need a relentless forecheck ...hit hit hit ...and make some big saves.

On February 10th we held McDickhead to just 2 shots ...and 0 points. We need more of that tonight.

Once again, Captain Obvious in the house:

This is a must win game.

Back
Top Bottom