***Playoffs Rd1 GAME 3 GDT Edmonton Oilers vs. LA Kings 4/26/24 7:30pm on BSW, TBS & max***

I thought it was mid July but either way you can’t have a player on the roster overpaid by 5M+. Only option if they keep him is bring in a coach who loads him up with Kempe and Fiala and go full scorched earth scoring line and let the chips fall. Still not worth it, but the overpay number would decrease somewhat.
Might be, but I thought it was tied to the contract cycle. He is still in his RFA years for this season. I seem to recall that RFA's cannot be be given trade protection. So, it kicks in on 7/1 when he enters his UFA years. If they dump him, they better do it now.

Truly, what’s the point of even playing the last six minutes of this game and risking injury to any of our skaters, if they’re not gonna go out there and attempt to run the opposition through the boards at every opportunity?

I’m not even kidding when I say this: if Blake and Hiller want to save their asses they need to call up and play Brandt Clarke over Roy. Roy and Gavrikov are completely underwater this series. You can play one but you cannot play both on the same pair against this Oilers team.
It’s been a bit bewildering.. you’d think they could potentially be our best -defensive- pair against the Oilers top end, given their combo of reach and physicality, but no.. they’ve been utterly outclassed and look overwhelmed.

It’s been a bit bewildering.. you’d think they could potentially be our best -defensive- pair against the Oilers top end, given their combo of reach and physicality, but no.. they’ve been utterly outclassed and look overwhelmed.
And Spence has been very effective. He’s 1 of 2 dmen on the roster who can get the puck out of his zone and onto a forwards stick cleanly.

He can also pass the puck to his d partner cleanly with an attacking forward hounding him. That puck moving skill is vital when playing an ultra aggressive team like the Oilers.

Notice that he’s also the smallest guy on the ice most shifts but his skills can neutralize the size disadvantage. Shocking!

So, with Talbot’s 5.30 GAA & .861 Save %, what’s the over/under on Rittich starting next game? It should‘ve happened after Game 1, but whatever…

It SUPPOSED to happen that in the playoffs, the top two lines cancel each other out and the depth on the 3rd & 4th lines win some games. The PLD trade took care of our depth, so that’s that. It’s now down to our best player’s beating their best players, and, well……

Apologies for the negative rant, but after game 2, I was hoping for more. I don’t mind losing to a better team, but being out scored by 7 goals in 3 games shouldn’t happen to a team with a defense-first philosophy

There's a lot that the Kings did to lose this game & to be down 2-1. They haven't scored 1 PPG & have allowed 7. They were also turning the puck over & missing on passes. So they could've lost the game on their own without the help of the referees. But they got it anyway. The officiating was an absolute sh*tshow. They gave Englund 2 for illegal check to the head. No it wasn't, it was to the body. And it was no worse than the hit on Danault in game 2, which got no call. You've got everyone pairing up but they give an extra 2 to Kopi for what? So Edmonton gets a free 2 man advantage & scores on it. Then they get another free 2 man advantage & score again. After that they just throw guys out because they've lost control of the game & want to pretend otherwise. And I know everyone's going to say it was over before all those penalties happened. But it wasn't. They were down by 3 with 14-1/2 minutes left. Maybe they wouldn't overcome that but we'll never know.

As far as next game, maybe they should start Rittich. I can't say Talbot allowed any bad goals & he made some big saves. But they need a change of some kind. I don't know who else they could add. Can they get Clarke in? Probably not with the Reign playing. But they need his offense. Maybe it's a good time for Kaliyev if his confidence isn't already shot. I don't know why they announced new lines before the playoffs with Turcotte-Kopi-Kempe, Moore-Danault-Arvidsson, Fiala-Lizotte-Lewis, & Byfield-PLD-Grundstrom but never played them once. Those would've actually been good lines with grit & skill up & down the lineup. I'd go with these lines & then maybe get more than 6 minutes from Lizotte & Lewis and 4 from Grundstrom. And I don't know if it's on the coaches or players. But it seems like Edmonton is able to adjust to what the Kings do while the Kings aren't able to counter those moves. At least not in game. Also, is the Danault line going to still be checking the McDavid line? Because that's not working. We'll see what happens Sunday. Like I've said for 3 years after every blowout loss, this is just 1 game. If we make the right adjustments we'll win & be tied up. I'm still pissed about this game but I'll be over it tomorrow & pumped by Sunday.

Go Kings Go!

There's a lot that the Kings did to lose this game & to be down 2-1. They haven't scored 1 PPG & have allowed 7. They were also turning the puck over & missing on passes. So they could've lost the game on their own without the help of the referees. But they got it anyway. The officiating was an absolute sh*tshow. They gave Englund 2 for illegal check to the head. No it wasn't, it was to the body. And it was no worse than the hit on Danault in game 2, which got no call. You've got everyone pairing up but they give an extra 2 to Kopi for what? So Edmonton gets a free 2 man advantage & scores on it. Then they get another free 2 man advantage & score again. After that they just throw guys out because they've lost control of the game & want to pretend otherwise. And I know everyone's going to say it was over before all those penalties happened. But it wasn't. They were down by 3 with 14-1/2 minutes left. Maybe they wouldn't overcome that but we'll never know.

As far as next game, maybe they should start Rittich. I can't say Talbot allowed any bad goals & he made some big saves. But they need a change of some kind. I don't know who else they could add. Can they get Clarke in? Probably not with the Reign playing. But they need his offense. Maybe it's a good time for Kaliyev if his confidence isn't already shot. I don't know why they announced new lines before the playoffs with Turcotte-Kopi-Kempe, Moore-Danault-Arvidsson, Fiala-Lizotte-Lewis, & Byfield-PLD-Grundstrom but never played them once. Those would've actually been good lines with grit & skill up & down the lineup. I'd go with these lines & then maybe get more than 6 minutes from Lizotte & Lewis and 4 from Grundstrom. And I don't know if it's on the coaches or players. But it seems like Edmonton is able to adjust to what the Kings do while the Kings aren't able to counter those moves. At least not in game. Also, is the Danault line going to still be checking the McDavid line? Because that's not working. We'll see what happens Sunday. Like I've said for 3 years after every blowout loss, this is just 1 game. If we make the right adjustments we'll win & be tied up. I'm still pissed about this game but I'll be over it tomorrow & pumped by Sunday.

Go Kings Go!
I sincerely appreciate your optimism. It was such a sh*t show to after the first period I had to turn it off. The Kings were flat and the Oilers were flying. Sounds like it went from bad to worse as the game progressed. You're right though it was only one game. Readjust reevaluate and get ready for Sunday. Let's Go L.A.!

Folks, this series is NOT over!!
IMG_4319.gif

I turned off the game after the third goal in the first period. The Kings looked like sh*t. What a pathetic performance. If the players can't be fired up and ready for a playoff game on home ice after stealing one in Edmonton, they might as well forfeit the series and not play games 4 and 5. Like I've said multiple times, this is Blake's fault for doing nothing at the trade deadline. Don't come back at me with your stupid "what would you have done" bullshit either. Everyone knew the Kings were going to get knocked out by the Oilers for the third straight year, and anyone who thought this team could beat them is delusional.

Frustrated rant done. Fvck you Rob Blake.

I sincerely appreciate your optimism. It was such a sh*t show to after the first period I had to turn it off. The Kings were flat and the Oilers were flying. Sounds like it went from bad to worse as the game progressed. You're right though it was only one game. Readjust reevaluate and get ready for Sunday. Let's Go L.A.!

u missed the referee abomination testing out how their whistles work and the kings attempt at gooning it up which in my opinion made them look a lot worse but it was at least sorta entertaining to see the ship sink further.

i feel a bit of despair as you go 82 games and playoffs are usually kinda rare and exciting and wow we suck. game 2 felt like it, last year and year before did too. this year? idk what they've gotten themselves into. the bad kinda glue.

Go Kings Go!

Also, since you brought it up, England checks Kane with a clean hit and the result is an on-ice scrum resulting in 6 players in the penalty box. In Game 2, Hyman hits Danault with an equally clean but effective check….and nothing. Where is the heart in this team? Where is the standing up for your teammate? With the exception of Kopitar’s line and Doughty, it’s almost like the rest of them didn’t even want to be there

I agree with everything else you wrote

In what? That the Kings decided to show up in this game caught with their pants pulled down? All I'm hoping right now is that the Kings better play with a huge chip on their shoulders in Game 4.
Sadly though, however they play really won’t matter if they can’t kill a pp or score on the pp. We already see like previous seasons, Edmonton is going to get the calls going their way. Special teams have killed us every game for the 3rd season in a row. I still believe we can win, but Hiller has to adjust like Edmonton adjusted this game. To beat this team we need Quick like saves and one of our goalies to steal a couple of games, preferably 3 more.

Left field?

Tonight 5 -1

7-4 in game 1

Maybe you should stick to baseball
Yes, your comment came from left field.

Cam Talbot had one good save on Draistl and you all lost sight of the fact that we will lose this series with him in net.

Period.

"You all lost sight", is what you said. I cannot think of a single post in here that implied that. I know you are frustrated with the Kings and Talbot's play. But this comment kind of came out of nowhere. Many in here were asking for Rittich to start game 2. That is not losing sight of anything. Maybe I could have replied differently, but I did not.

You do know the Oilers goalie sucks just as bad. Talbot played much better last night, but still got bombed. The team sucks, their structure sucks. They cannot defend against the oilers and cannot generate any solid chances against them.

Another little bit of info for you. Did you know that this year's favorite for the Vezina has very similar numbers to Talbot?

Below are the two worst goalies in this years playoffs (after 3 games).

Connor Hellebuyck, - .871% and 5.05GA
Cam Talbot, - .861 and 5.30GA

Hockey is the only sport I watch and/or care about. Has been that way for the last 1/2 century, or so.

Sadly though, however they play really won’t matter if they can’t kill a pp or score on the pp. We already see like previous seasons, Edmonton is going to get the calls going their way. Special teams have killed us every game for the 3rd season in a row. I still believe we can win, but Hiller has to adjust like Edmonton adjusted this game. To beat this team we need Quick like saves and one of our goalies to steal a couple of games, preferably 3 more.

This team was lucky in game 2. I think Edmonton came into that game a little bit too confident. That and an early goal had the Kings feeling good and playing pretty well in the 1st period. They were able to get the forecheck going which helped them slow down the Oilers. The Oilers came back and kind of took control of the game in the 2nd period and tied the score. A lucky bounce and a great shot by Kopitar won it in overtime.

I know this is not rocket science, but for the Kings to have any chance of winning another game they will need:
  • Strong consistent forecheck. Without this, the Kings have zero chance.
  • Shoot the freaking puck, put the darn thing on net when you have the chance.
  • Score some freaking PP goals
  • Kill some freaking penalties
  • Get better than average goaltending.
Problem is, the Oilers have been a good defensive team this year and getting a solid forecheck going and maintaining it is going to be a big ask for this Kings team. Without that, Against the Oilers the Kings have no strong PK to save them, no PP goals to rely on. The goaltending has been bad in 2 of 3 games and "okay" in the 3rd.

Many teams have been getting better and better at beating the 1-3-1 this year. We have all seen that. If the Kings do not get their forecheck going it is often hard to get the 1-3-1 setup anyway.

That's my take on things anyway.

Last edited:
Did anyone catch the Roy interview like the guy has no pulse he's literally either stoned or retarded
He was pretty reliable D wise most of the year. (arguably our best stay at home kind of dman). He looks lost against the OIL's onslaught. I was thinking the first two games illness or injury, now i'm thinking maybe he's just checkd out wondering where he'll be playing, what his contract will be, next year

Back
Top Bottom