Poll: The State of the Franchise. Are The Kings closer to

Are The Kings closer to . . .

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aaron

RANGZ
TEAM LGK
I'd like to know the general feelings toward the state of the franchise for the next 3 years.

An appearance in the WCF?
Another rebuild?
Other?

Much closer to a Western conference finals berth. But are your expectations really that narrow? There are 32 teams and only 4 reach the wcf and ecf each season. I want to be a playoff bound team each and every year. I want to keep improving. But injuries happen, upsets happen, salary caps happen, etc... If all these things go right we are much closer to playoff highlights than a rebuild. This seems like a silly poll.

Consistency! Make the playoffs. Great run taking Edmonton to 7 games. One year ahead of schedule and probably 1-2 playoff games ahead. Go seven games again this season in the first round. After this coming season go two rounds in 2023-2024.

As it stands, they are bound for the black hole: too bad to win, too good to draft high. They'll make the playoffs as the lower half seed and struggle in the first round or just miss the playoffs.

If you can see significant growth from their high level prospects and/or a change in the coaching mentality with regards to how prospects/young players are utilized, then they might become competitive and need that extra one or two acquisitions at the trade deadline to put them over the top.

But I'm bearish considering the young guys don't get enough playtime or long enough leashes.

Under the divisional playoff model, any team making the playoffs has a pretty decent opportunity to make the conference final if they can win their first round matchup. I fully expect next season to see some regression in areas but hopefully the new faces and internal improvement work as a total to move things approximately forward. I still think its a 90-95 point team (in the context that last year we were hoping to get to 85 points) which in the arc should be an improvement if you don't put last years mark as the absolute minimum. At this point even if Byfield blows out, there's enough talent around that this cycle should have a few straight seasons of playoff trips in them before the next teardown.

In other words is Blake’s plan legit or a mirage? Mainly will the prospects reach their reported potential or not because the last fews seasons’ trades and the Danault signing have been grade A.

Probably a better question until at least next off-season. Still too much hope baked into the kids’ development. Byfield, Clarke, Turcotte getting healthy, Vilardi finding his way in this system, Bjornfot showing he can be consistent, Helenius becoming a towering, mean force, Fagemo showing he can score in NHL and getting the opportunity to do so.

So far only Kaliyev and Mikey have shown they’ve got legit NHL staying power in their roles, but I don’t rule out anyone I’ve mentioned and remain optimistic about almost all of them. But my optimism is based on the reality that it’s too early to tell and none of them outside Vilardi and maybe Bjornfot have had enough of a chance to cast doubt based on their profiles.

I would say we're closer to the WCF than a rebuild, without a doubt. However, the next couple seasons will be crucial in figuring out just how close to the WCF this team actually is. A lot hinges on how guys like Byfield, Kaliyev, Bjornfot, Durzi, etc progress. We also need to see how Fiala fits in, and i'd say we currently have a pretty big question mark in goal.

All that to see that i think the team is progressing, and headed in the right direction, but they arent yet a powerhouse until some of the above questions resolve themselves.

In other words is Blake’s plan legit or a mirage? Mainly will the prospects reach their reported potential or not because the last fews seasons’ trades and the Danault signing have been grade A.

Probably a better question until at least next off-season. Still too much hope baked into the kids’ development. Byfield, Clarke, Turcotte getting healthy, Vilardi finding his way in this system, Bjornfot showing he can be consistent, Helenius becoming a towering, mean force, Fagemo showing he can score in NHL and getting the opportunity to do so.

So far only Kaliyev and Mikey have shown they’ve got legit NHL staying power in their roles, but I don’t rule out anyone I’ve mentioned and remain optimistic about almost all of them. But my optimism is based on the reality that it’s too early to tell and none of them outside Vilardi and maybe Bjornfot have had enough of a chance to cast doubt based on their profiles.

Unfairly or not, I think its safe to say that Turcotte's got doubt cast on his profile. Wild that in a draft that the Kings managed two first round picks, they might miss on talent on both, but end up with a net positive between Arty, Spence as bona fides and Fagemo and Nousiainen as prospects tbd. Scott Wheeler did is draft revisit for 2019 and Arty and Spence are both redone into the first round. Toby got an honorable mention. Turcotte was still selected in the first, but 28th overall and at that the case made was sparse:
28. Carolina Hurricanes: C Alex Turcotte
Actual draft pick: No. 5 (change: -23) to Los Angeles
My final ranking: No. 3 (change: -25)

Turcotte’s a tough one for me. In hindsight, I should have been a little more cautious about the time he’d missed and the smaller draft year sample of games he’d played relative to his peers. There was no predicting the continued injury/illness trouble that would follow him after the draft, but there was always going to be one kid on that loaded ’01 U.S. NTDP team that didn’t pan out. And while I still expect Turcotte to become an everyday NHL player, he looks like the kid who was made to look better by his supporting cast (rather than the other way around). That’s hard to wrap my head around now, given how he looked like the kid who was making everyone else better as a hardworking playmaker on that team. Similar to Krebs, I didn’t do a good enough job contextualizing how his lack of scoring may eventually limit him up levels.

Who goes No. 1 in a 2019 NHL Draft redo? How do their pre-draft rankings hold up today?

In any case I'm on the legit side of Blakes plan. Getting better internally was something that we saw with Kopi, Brown and a host of other young talent from 08-10. Not sure how hard those steps are to repeat but the growth in Kempe's game mixed with Lizzote and Arty, Mikey, Durzi makes me think there's a nugget there that's taking seed.

Unfairly or not, I think its safe to say that Turcotte's got doubt cast on his profile. Wild that in a draft that the Kings managed two first round picks, they might miss on talent on both, but end up with a net positive between Arty, Spence as bona fides and Fagemo and Nousiainen as prospects tbd. Scott Wheeler did is draft revisit for 2019 and Arty and Spence are both redone into the first round. Toby got an honorable mention. Turcotte was still selected in the first, but 28th overall and at that the case made was sparse:

Who goes No. 1 in a 2019 NHL Draft redo? How do their pre-draft rankings hold up today?

In any case I'm on the legit side of Blakes plan. Getting better internally was something that we saw with Kopi, Brown and a host of other young talent from 08-10. Not sure how hard those steps are to repeat but the growth in Kempe's game mixed with Lizzote and Arty, Mikey, Durzi makes me think there's a nugget there that's taking seed.

Ouch, although I should clarify my (lowered) expectations. At least the profile says he should be an everyday NHL player which at this point is where my goalposts are for him. A feisty spark plug who doesn’t hurt you and Todd can trust to give meaningful bottom 6 minutes would be welcome. It’ll always be a painful pick at 5th overall, but I’m with you that there’s enough talent elsewhere that should make up for some kids falling.

On expectations, I’ll add that what I personally want from Byfield this year is for him to gain Todd’s trust enough to play 10-12 minutes a night. 30 pts. would be good also. I think Kopitar’s minutes is a top 3 question mark this year. It will not be good in the least if he and Danault are playing 50 minutes a game should the Kings return to the playoffs.

The only reason Kings might make it to the WCF is due to the division they play in. We have a 35 year old number 1 Center still playing 22min a night. He looked absolutely gassed in the playoffs. Hopefully by the 3rd year when Byfield is centering the first line and we don't have Iafallo and Lizotte on the roster, They will be close to a contender and in WCF.

Much closer to a Western conference finals berth. But are your expectations really that narrow? There are 32 teams and only 4 reach the wcf and ecf each season. I want to be a playoff bound team each and every year. I want to keep improving. But injuries happen, upsets happen, salary caps happen, etc... If all these things go right we are much closer to playoff highlights than a rebuild. This seems like a silly poll.
After 12/13/14, yes my measure of success is that narrow. It's about competing for the Cup, and teams that make the final 4 are contenders. Making the playoffs half the time and losing in the 1st round isn't success (imo).

After 12/13/14, yes my measure of success is that narrow. It's about competing for the Cup, and teams that make the final 4 are contenders. Making the playoffs half the time and losing in the 1st round isn't success (imo).

But how do you measure your fan dollar against that level of success? Not buying till WCF tickets go on sale? Or an expectation of WCF as a message and you'll get your season tickets? Setting and achieving an expectation are best enjoyed on the ride (imo)

We were one Healthy Drew Doughty (and a Sean Walker would have helped, too) away from making it to the 2nd round this past season. And we've only improved the roster over the summer. Can't imagine we won't make it to at least round 2 next season.

WCF.

I believe had they beaten the Oilers, the chances of grinding out a series against the Flames would've been pretty good.

And then be embarrassed in the WCF by the Avs, haha. :D

It doesn't seem that unlikely these days for the Kings to see multiple playoff rounds.

After posting the Kempe poll last season, it seems this poll has now guaranteed the Kings will make the WCF!

We were one Healthy Drew Doughty (and a Sean Walker would have helped, too) away from making it to the 2nd round this past season. And we've only improved the roster over the summer. Can't imagine we won't make it to at least round 2 next season.

No love for VA?

Adding Fiala, moving Iafallo down the lineup, more incremental development by the young players and the Kings would still be a longshot to make a run for the WCF. Now I do think there's a very good chance Kaliyev makes a big jump next season and racks up 25 goals. If half of those come on the Power Play this squad should win their division and have a clear path to the WCF assuming the key players stay healthy.

Progression is not always linear. I'd be disappointed, but not very surprised if they don't make the playoffs this season.

Progression is not always linear. I'd be disappointed, but not very surprised if they don't make the playoffs this season.

Santiclaws as submitted to the dark side. Welcome. Note our spirit animal below.
bernie-mittens-main-khu-210120.jpg

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back