Speculation Predictions for the 23-24 season

Kings will be better this year. Talbot and Copley will be a good 1/2 punch. Even being on an abysmal Sens team, his GAA STILL stayed under 3.00, he did this before the SENS:
GPGSWLOTSAGAGAASSV%
2021-2022MIN49483212041,4881322.761,356.911

Shutouts were 3.

In OTT his #s reflect a crappy team as his GAA was 2.93 and SV% was .898. More high quality chances for opponents.

Our D is better this year, and MILES above Ottawa', and Clarke will make us forget about Durzi so fast it'll make our heads spin.

Our offense is better too, and Arty will step up as that kid needs more of s static role, which I believe he'll get, hopefully beside PLD and Fiala.

I predict 108-110 pts.

#GOKINGSGO

Kings will be better this year. Talbot and Copley will be a good 1/2 punch. Even being on an abysmal Sens team, his GAA STILL stayed under 3.00, he did this before the SENS:
GPGSWLOTSAGAGAASSV%
2021-2022MIN49483212041,4881322.761,356.911

Shutouts were 3.

In OTT his #s reflect a crappy team as his GAA was 2.93 and SV% was .898. More high quality chances for opponents.

Our D is better this year, and MILES above Ottawa', and Clarke will make us forget about Durzi so fast it'll make our heads spin.

Our offense is better too, and Arty will step up as that kid needs more of s static role, which I believe he'll get, hopefully beside PLD and Fiala.

I predict 108-110 pts.

#GOKINGSGO
TY Stone
I always love a goalie's perspective

McLellan is still the coach, meaning a passive approach, and a stubborn insistence on top loading the roster while talented kids are square pegged into roles that don't fit their skill sets.

I would like to see:

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Fiala - PLD - Kaliyev
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Grundstrom - Lizotte - Lewis
Fagemo, JAD

Bjornfot - Doughty
Gavrikov - Roy
Anderson - Clarke
Spence

But with the terrible cap management from Blake and a coach who has repeatedly tried to forces things that he should know won't work, I expect to see:

PLD - Kopitar - Fiala
Kempe - Danault - Arvidsson
Moore - Lizotte - Lewis
Grundstrom - Byfield - Fagemo
 JAD

Anderson- Doughty
Gavrikov - Roy
Englund - Clarke
Bjornfot

With Spence and Kaliyev sent down due to cap.

So while the opportunity for balance is there, I have no hope for this staff to find it. The 1-3-1 won't go, there is still no jam along the boards, they won't be able to protect leads, and the horrible PK won't get any better.

In short, the Kings subtracted from one strength to add to another, while not addressing any weak points, have suspect goaltending, very little muscle, and are relying largely on players that have never won a damn thing. They will be another easy first round out.

I predict the same exact thing as this past season. Vegas-Edmonton-Kings, and the Kings again can't get past Edmonton.

My guess: We finish about 10 points ahead of last season
Love the enthusiasm, and i think as a team, the Kings improve. But... throwing out Boston's insane run would have the Kings first in the league with 114 pts. That isn't happening. I think the Pacific is slowly improving and it wont be any easier, even if the Kings are an improved team.

My thoughts on what to expect:
• Goaltending, again, will be an issue. I think Copley will provide roughly what he did last season, but im not sure the wins will simply fall in his lap. Im not sold on Talbot playing too many games either. This tandem is unlikely to crater, but they also arent going to steal any games. There will be quite a bit of pressure on the team in front of them.
• PLD will have a big season. Both he and Fiala are really good at maintaining control of the puck in the offensive zone. They will probably see a lot of draws in the offensive zone. A "3rd" line with those two will be very difficult for other teams to match against. This line should feast against weak teams, and better teams at home.
• Byfield will finally start to score, although with Kempe on that line i think he still gets a bulk of his points on assists. This will, hopefully, be his first full season free of major illness and injury. I think he come sto camp looking really strong, and will be noticeably improved in areas where he was deficient last season.
• Kaliyev will be given every opportunity to play on the PLD line. He's going to have to make the most of that opportunity. How he shows up to camp will be a huge indicator of how his season is going to go. We saw Gabe in preseason looking like a vastly improved player. Kaliyev needs to do the same thing. He's going to nmeed to be stronger, faster, and going to the scoring areas on the ice. He cant simply be a step late on that line and expect Fiala and PLD to carry him through teh season. That line ha sthe potential to be very special, and he needs to earn it.
• im really looking forward to seeing how coach works the defensive pairings. Clarke is obviously being given the opportunity to play on the Kings this season. i think he stays. I think he plays well. But young guys are prone to inconsistency. I think we wind up seeing Gavrikov and Roy paired together more frequently that many expect, especially in tight games on the road.

Finally, the Kings are cap strapped and will look to play short a guy on the roster here. They've lost a skilled player in Vilardi. They've lost an underrated utility guy in Iaffalo. And there will be at least two new faces to work into not just the team, but crucial areas of special teams. And guys will be put into elevated roles as well. The stage is definitely set for some early season struggles. I think we see the Kings again fighting for that 2nd/3rd spot in the division. I think we'll see some stretches of play this season that will be even more spectacular offensively than e saw last season. But there will also be some issues that see the Kings losing games they should win. Hopefully coach and the staff can keep the stretches of sloppy play to a minimum. It will say a lot to me, if the Kings come out to start the season looking polished and executing well.

Last edited:
Love the enthusiasm, and i think as a team, the Kings improve. But... throwing out Boston's insane run would have the Kings first in the league with 114 pts. That isn't happening. I think the Pacific is slowly improving and it wont be any easier, even if the Kings are an improved team.

My thoughts on what to expect:
• Goaltending, again, will be an issue. I think Copley will provide roughly what he did last season, but im not sure the wins will simply fall in his lap. Im not sold on Talbot playing too many games either. This tandem is unlikely to crater, but they also arent going to steal any games. There will be quite a bit of pressure on the team in front of them.
• PLD will have a big season. Both he and Fiala are really good at maintaining control of the puck in the offensive zone. They will probably see a lot of draws in the offensive zone. A "3rd" line with those two will be very difficult for other teams to match against. This line should feast against weak teams, and better teams at home.
• Byfield will finally start to score, although with Kempe on that line i think he still gets a bulk of his points on assists. This will, hopefully, be his first full season free of major illness and injury. I think he come sto camp looking really strong, and will be noticeably improved in areas where he was deficient last season.
• Kaliyev will be given every opportunity to play on the PLD line. He's going to have to make the most of that opportunity. How he shows up to camp will be a huge indicator of how his season is going to go. We saw Gabe in preseason looking like a vastly improved player. Kaliyev needs to do the same thing. He's going to nmeed to be stronger, faster, and going to the scoring areas on the ice. He cant simply be a step late on that line and expect Fiala and PLD to carry him through teh season. That line ha sthe potential to be very special, and he needs to earn it.
• im really looking forward to seeing how coach works the defensive pairings. Clarke is obviously being given the opportunity to play on the Kings this season. i think he stays. I think he plays well. But young guys are prone to inconsistency. I think we wind up seeing Gavrikov and Roy paired together more frequently that many expect, especially in tight games on the road.

Finally, the Kings are cap strapped and will look to play short a guy on the roster here. They've lost a skilled player in Vilardi. They've lost an underrated utility guy in Iaffalo. And there will be at least two new faces to work into not just the team, but crucial areas of special teams. And guys will be put into elevated roles as well. The stage is definitely set for some early season struggles. I think we see the Kings again fighting for that 2nd/3rd spot in the division. I think we'll see some stretches of play this season that will be even more spectacular offensively than e saw last season. But there will also be some issues that see the Kings losing games they should win. Hopefully coach and the staff can keep the stretches of sloppy play to a minimum. It will say a lot to me, if the Kings come out to start the season looking polished and executing well.
All reasonable predictions.

My only note would be the Kings are bringing back a huge amount of the roster from last year. These guys are very familiar with each other and that familiarity should help them start the season quicker than some of the other teams with higher roster turnover.

I’m looking at the Kings top 9 and if they all stay healthy I think there’s an argument for best in the division if not conference. The Kings are stacked at forward. Two very strong d pairs. A third pair with much more upside than last season.

But yeah overall I think the team only goes as far as the goaltending.

My only note would be the Kings are bringing back a huge amount of the roster from last year. These guys are very familiar with each other and that familiarity should help them start the season quicker than some of the other teams with higher roster turnover.

I’m looking at the Kings top 9 and if they all stay healthy I think there’s an argument for best in the division if not conference. The Kings are stacked at forward. Two very strong d pairs. A third pair with much more upside than last season.

But yeah overall I think the team only goes as far as the goaltending.
I hear all that and agree with most, with the exception of one point.

We're acting like Talbot is Copley 2.0. He's absolutely not. He's got tons of experience as both a starter and backup, has done well, and has his eye on what has alluded him his entire career, a cup. His compete level is impressive.

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised. If not, I eat crow, and that's fine, It wouldn't be the first time ;)

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised. If not, I eat crow, and that's fine, It wouldn't be the first time ;)
anything is possible, but the guy is 36 yrs old, with slowly declining numbers over the past several seasons. I dont expect him to be bad, but the cards are not stacked in his favor.

I don't disagree with the Kings having a strong group of players. On paper, i agree.. they have a strong forward group, and a solid potential top 4 on D. But they do need to integrate PLD into the PP, and they need to find a replacement for AI on the PK. Additionally, Clarke is a young rookie and i expect him to have his ups and downs.

The PP will probably be the easiest transition. PLD is a very skilled forward and will likely thrive, but i do have my concerns with the 3rd line at 5v5. We saw Fiala take a bit of time to find a home last season, and even if PLD and Fiala find instant chemistry, they still need another winger. Who gets that spot? I think no matter what, there will be flashes of what can be with that line, but i also wouldn't be surprised to see them struggle out of the gate as they get acclimated to the structure and each other. High danger for and against is what i expect with them, at least in the early going.

And the PK needs to be addressed. Losing AI hurts there, so along with the likelihood of a lot of early focus there for the team, they need to fill a small hole there.

And again, i think Clarke will have a great season, but it won't be without it's ups and downs.

The Kings top 6 should return as is. The Kings Defense returns 4 of 6 guys and should be solid in that regard. But they are looking at a revamped 3rd line. A slightly altered 4th line. And potentially a brand new bottom pair on defense. That isnt insignificant, and this is a team that is still working to solidify it's identity a bit. They're on the rise (not an established contender) and to me, that all signals a bit of struggle early on this season. And just to clarify, im not saying that the Kings have a mediocre team. They have a strong forward group and a decent defensive corp. I just think it might take some time for all of it to come together. Think back to last season when coach openly questioned whether the team wanted to play to it's identity or not. I dont think it will be as bad as last season, but i think there will be some hiccups.

Our defense was horrible earlier in the season. You guys know hockey is a momentum sport! After the 9-8 loss to Seattle, the team adjusted, and Copley came in to save the day, but I don't know if Copley will get a 20-4 record again. Our defense still has holes. Spence will be Durzi 2.0. We basically have aging Doughty, so that basically leaves Anderson and Gavrikov who will get burnt out before the trade deadline. I don't care who you put in front of the net at that point; SA has to be low for the Kings to win. Let's hope Kopi gives it his all, Fiala stays healthy, Danault steps it up, Byfield takes the next step, along with Kaliyev, and we can do some damage. I'll tell you one thing though, Kopitar, Dubois, and Gavrikov OT's will be a thriller.

Looking forward to a whole season of Brandt Clarke! My prediction is our PP will score at least ONE more goal than last season. (although we finished in 4th overall) Having Lewis back for the PK will be a bonus, so I'm hoping for 5 fewer GA on the PK.....we finished in 24th on PK....all I'm asking for, Lewie, is just 5 fewer GA!! Hopefully a bit more solid goaltending will help in that area as well.

Seattle made some dubious offseason moves, so I see us finishing top 3 again well ahead of them. I also can't see the Oilers continuing their momentum - they put it all on the line 2nd half of the season last year, but I still see us battling it out with them for 2/3 all season long. Hopefully the VGK boys partied hard all summer and start off slow so we can build some momentum in the 1st 20 games.

Hurry up, October!!! Got my tickets in my account today, so now I'm excited.

I love Lewis, but im just hoping he still has enough to play on the 4th line still. His metrics last year were not spectacular of the good type.

Prediction for 23–24..... we gel at the midway point, We win the CUP !!!!

I love Lewis, but im just hoping he still has enough to play on the 4th line still. His metrics last year were not spectacular of the good type.
I somewhat discount his metrics playing for Calgary.

anything is possible, but the guy is 36 yrs old, with slowly declining numbers over the past several seasons. I dont expect him to be bad, but the cards are not stacked in his favor.

I don't disagree with the Kings having a strong group of players. On paper, i agree.. they have a strong forward group, and a solid potential top 4 on D. But they do need to integrate PLD into the PP, and they need to find a replacement for AI on the PK. Additionally, Clarke is a young rookie and i expect him to have his ups and downs.

The PP will probably be the easiest transition. PLD is a very skilled forward and will likely thrive, but i do have my concerns with the 3rd line at 5v5. We saw Fiala take a bit of time to find a home last season, and even if PLD and Fiala find instant chemistry, they still need another winger. Who gets that spot? I think no matter what, there will be flashes of what can be with that line, but i also wouldn't be surprised to see them struggle out of the gate as they get acclimated to the structure and each other. High danger for and against is what i expect with them, at least in the early going.

And the PK needs to be addressed. Losing AI hurts there, so along with the likelihood of a lot of early focus there for the team, they need to fill a small hole there.

And again, i think Clarke will have a great season, but it won't be without it's ups and downs.

The Kings top 6 should return as is. The Kings Defense returns 4 of 6 guys and should be solid in that regard. But they are looking at a revamped 3rd line. A slightly altered 4th line. And potentially a brand new bottom pair on defense. That isnt insignificant, and this is a team that is still working to solidify it's identity a bit. They're on the rise (not an established contender) and to me, that all signals a bit of struggle early on this season. And just to clarify, im not saying that the Kings have a mediocre team. They have a strong forward group and a decent defensive corp. I just think it might take some time for all of it to come together. Think back to last season when coach openly questioned whether the team wanted to play to it's identity or not. I dont think it will be as bad as last season, but i think there will be some hiccups.

Lewis replaces AI on PK. And had the Kings not have had almost historically bad goaltending for half of last season, the PK numbers would be considerably better due to that alone. So, if either or both of Copley and Talbot manage to be in the .905-.915 range, that's already a *significant* upgrade.

People really forget how atrocious the Kings' goaltending was for the first half of last season. 31 games at .876 and 10 games at .868. Dan Cloutier had an average sv. % for the Kings at .867. We were nearly there. Nearly in the beachball territory. For half a season. And despite that, the Kings challenged for the division.

With the team improved and more stable and with *hopefully* a considerably more stable goaltending duo (I really don't think it's too much to ask for a combined sv. % in .905-.915 range), the Kings should be looking at a very productive season, barring any injuries to key players. If Clarke holds his own and QB OR Kaliyev have a breakout season, the Kings are up there with the best.

If Clarke holds his own and QB OR Kaliyev have a breakout season, the Kings are up there with the best.
I’m excited for all those guys. Very good young players being moved in Vilardi and Durzi should put positive pressure on them. Such is the timing that these are pivotal years for QB and Kaliyev anyway, not just for what the Kings need from them now but what they need to do to prove they will have viable NHL careers for their projected talents.

Kaliyev should get at least 20 goals though it’s more fair to expect 25+ out of him. QB should get at least 40 pts, with a 10 goal/30 assist kind of ratio. That’s still not great for a top line LW, but it’s a fair bet. I do expect an impactful forecheck from him and if I’m going to be bold I’ll say he puts up over 100 hits.

I’m excited for all those guys. Very good young players being moved in Vilardi and Durzi should put positive pressure on them. Such is the timing that these are pivotal years for QB and Kaliyev anyway, not just for what the Kings need from them now but what they need to do to prove they will have viable NHL careers for their projected talents.

Kaliyev should get at least 20 goals though it’s more fair to expect 25+ out of him. QB should get at least 40 pts, with a 10 goal/30 assist kind of ratio. That’s still not great for a top line LW, but it’s a fair bet. I do expect an impactful forecheck from him and if I’m going to be bold I’ll say he puts up over 100 hits.

QB's physical play highly depends on his health. He's had his fair share of injuries already and I'm sure the aren't willing to risk another long term growth stumper too much. So I don't expect too much in this regard. Adding PLD instead of Gabe and Lewis instead of IA should more than cover QB's lack of physicality though. That's likely 150 hits more in a season compared to Gabe and IA. Add in a (hopefully) healthier Trevor Moore and the Kings have quite a lot more edge to them.

QB's physical play highly depends on his health. He's had his fair share of injuries already and I'm sure the aren't willing to risk another long term growth stumper too much. So I don't expect too much in this regard. Adding PLD instead of Gabe and Lewis instead of IA should more than cover QB's lack of physicality though. That's likely 150 hits more in a season compared to Gabe and IA. Add in a (hopefully) healthier Trevor Moore and the Kings have quite a lot more edge to them.
Agreed on the hits from PLD and Lewis but disagree on QB. Injuries were bad luck but if he’s going to contribute on that line he’s going to need to be physical. He’ll be the puck hound along the boards and should be stronger this year to use his frame better.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom