Revisiting "Slap Shot" (1977)

R

Reg or Rog?

Lurker
Before each hockey season begins, I watch the Paul Newman movie "Slap Shot". And it's just as funny today as it was when I first saw it back in 1977. So many classic, quotable scenes, and so many politically incorrect moments. But sadly it's a movie that could never be made today. And that sucks. This PC, woke, Me Too world has ruined movies. And it's not just comedies...

...I used to be a big fan of Marvel movies, starting with "Iron Man" and continuing until the PC world caught up and now each movie needs to be 'represented' equally, otherwise it will not be green-lighted or released. I haven't even bothered seeing a Marvel movie or TV show since that ridiculous ending in Endgame with the 'grrrrl power' scene. There was an audible collective groan in the theater (LA Canada) during that PC-laden moment. Even the new James Bond film was not immune, with Q having a boyfriend...and the new 007 was, of course, a crewcut, black Lesbian.

But the worst part of this nonsense is the loss of humor and satire. No one can even make jokes anymore.

I bumped into a few old friends at the Pink Floyd (Roger Waters) concerts and we immediately started talking about the good times we used to have...including our "listening parties" back in the 70s' and 80's. Yes, as hard as it is to believe, we used to have comedy records and we'd sit around listening to them, usually enhanced with marijuana. At the top of the list were Monty Python, Richard Pryor and George Carlin. There is NO WAY these records get made today. None of these brilliant, hilarious men were politically correct. Far from it. Yet we laughed. And laughed. And laughed some more. Why? It was funny. Not today. Not in this ridiculous, sub-Orwellian PC world of social justice warriors and millennials, who have evidently been taught to be perpetually offended by the slightest perceived affront. Even if it was meant to be a joke.

At the very least, jokes are considered to be mean-spirited if the left disagrees. And the person telling that joke will be cast out as a bigoted, intolerant, prejudiced, xenophobic, chauvinistic racist. How did we get this way? The craziest part is most of these hyper-sensitive millennials were raised on Family Guy and South Park. What happened to their sense of humor?

Unlike slapstick humor, political humor makes you think and laugh, pointing out irony where there is truth. Political humor was a powerful medium, which is now feared by the elites. Comedians such as Jerry Seinfeld, Kevin Hart, Dennis Miller, and Chris Rock say they will no longer play college shows anymore because of the PC pushback. Nothing is funny anymore. And everyone is offended by something.

As for my swastika joke, that's exactly what it was. A joke. And it was inspired by my buddy's JEWISH wife, who kept calling the crypto.com arena staff "a buncha ****ing Nazis". Yet I was attacked here simply by passing on their sentiments. And I didn't disagree with them; my experience that night was less than stellar. I usually enjoy going to Staples Center very much. Anyway, it was meant to be a joke. But nothing, and I mean nothing remotely political is funny anymore because everyone is offended by something.

Just think of all the hilarious movies that could not be made today:

The Bad News Bears
The Life of Brian
Blazing Saddles
Animal House
Silver Streak
48 Hours...

...oh and even a little hockey movie called "Slap Shot".

Even if it's blatantly obvious to be a joke, no one laughs anymore. For example, even the concert I just saw features the musician dressed in Nazi gear firing a machine gun at the audience (he did not do this part of the show in Vegas because it was the 5th anniversary of the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival Massacre). But besides Vegas, he does this at every show. And at every show people are outside protesting. There were certainly plenty of protestors outside Staples Tuesday and Wednesday.

These hyper-sensitive people have become victims of their own PC standards, and their leftist comedian heroes are no longer edgy or creative. And they used to lead the pack in satirical humor. Which makes them hypocrites.

But getting back to "Slap Shot", how many offensive jokes are there in that one film? Too many to count. Yet it remains one of the best sports movies ever made (I think it's the best sports movie, by far), and is definitely one of the funniest movies ever made. And this is a movie that could never be made today.

Sad.

Humorist Erma Bombeck once said: "When humor goes, there goes civilization.?

This belongs in the Politics Forum.

EFy9n3c.gif

Agree or not... it doesn't matter. This belongs in "Reality Hipcheck forum"

I watched the Bad News Bears a year or two ago. Wow. I mean, the dad coaching my youth hockey reminded me of Walter Matthau's character. Empty beer cans all over the place in his car, etc... I trained at ICEON many years ago, GREAT ICE, with John Devereaux, and he was that character too... Yeah, no chance that movie makes it out of filming in this day and age, but funny AF!

Did you just write a post about the need for edgy/non-pc comedy and then quote Erma Bombeck? You’re tired of the woke left, I’m tired of the people whining and complaining their lives have been destroyed by the woke left - the snowiest of the snowflakes. Go watch Slapshot now before AOC and the like come take it from you.

There's just nothing edgy anymore in this damn PC culture!!!!! So sick of the woke culture that doesn't allow me to see anything as INSANELY CONTROVERSIAL as the Bad News Bears and Slapshot!

images

images

its-hard-to-unsee-what-happens-on-meeseeks-and-destroy-1570565989.jpg

There's just nothing edgy anymore in this damn PC culture!!!!! So sick of the woke culture that doesn't allow me to see anything as INSANELY CONTROVERSIAL as the Bad News Bears and Slapshot!

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/dave-chappelle-show-canceled-minneapolis-1235321631/

Oh the unfortunate irony of using a poster boy for modern cancel culture as your example of downplaying cancel culture.

And as a further example of how the OBVIOUS is lost on you. The point wasn't that Slapshot or Bad News Bears are supposed to be INSANELY CONTROVERSIAL but rather that they would not get made today because they would be deemed too offensive even though they are far from INSANELY CONTROVERSIAL.

For the OP, I watched Slapshot this summer and it is still good. Paul Newman is great at playing the anti-hero.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/dave-chappelle-show-canceled-minneapolis-1235321631/

Oh the unfortunate irony of using a poster boy for modern cancel culture as your example of downplaying cancel culture.

And as a further example of how the OBVIOUS is lost on you. The point wasn't that Slapshot or Bad News Bears are supposed to be INSANELY CONTROVERSIAL but rather that they would not get made today because they would be deemed too offensive even though they are far from INSANELY CONTROVERSIAL.

For the OP, I watched Slapshot this summer and it is still good. Paul Newman is great at playing the anti-hero.

Ha ha ha ha. Irony? How about this one? You're trying to prove a comedian making millions, who recently played both Taylor Hawkins shows (two of the highest profile shows in a long while) has been "cancelled" by posting a news story about a show being cancelled - but ignoring the bigger picture (guess that's not irony - just willful ignorance.) Here's a story from two days later:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/dave-chappelles-shows-prompt-local-joy-concern/

Two days later, he sells out four straight nights in Santa Rosa. I won't add the story from a few days later where he adds a fifth sold out show.

This is EXACTLY why I put him in it. Because for all the crying that grown men do about things being cancelled (like their precious movies from 50-ish years ago, no one would care to cancel) it's mostly just total BS. The world is a mess because movies like "Slap Shot" don't get made anymore - sorry yeah, what a great post that started all of this. If I want to read a bunch of precious old men whining about the world they've lost to "cancel culture" I can literally go anywhere else on the internet. Would be nice to not read it on a hockey site.

Ha ha ha ha. Irony? How about this one? You're trying to prove a comedian making millions, who recently played both Taylor Hawkins shows (two of the highest profile shows in a long while) has been "cancelled" by posting a news story about a show being cancelled - but ignoring the bigger picture (guess that's not irony - just willful ignorance.) Here's a story from two days later:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/dave-chappelles-shows-prompt-local-joy-concern/

Two days later, he sells out four straight nights in Santa Rosa. I won't add the story from a few days later where he adds a fifth sold out show.

This is EXACTLY why I put him in it. Because for all the crying that grown men do about things being cancelled (like their precious movies from 50-ish years ago, no one would care to cancel) it's mostly just total BS. The world is a mess because movies like "Slap Shot" don't get made anymore - sorry yeah, what a great post that started all of this. If I want to read a bunch of precious old men whining about the world they've lost to "cancel culture" I can literally go anywhere else on the internet. Would be nice to not read it on a hockey site.

And yet here we are with you replying repeatedly. Luckily Chapelle is a big enough star that he can tell whiny cancel culture bullies like you to STFU. So there is some good in the world after all. And Slapshot still rules.

And yet here we are with you replying repeatedly. Luckily Chapelle is a big enough star that he can tell whiny cancel culture bullies like you to STFU. So there is some good in the world after all. And Slapshot still rules.

Oh okay, so he's NOT cancelled - so completely negating your whole original post. Glad we agree.

I love movies like Slap Shot & Blazing Saddles. But I don’t get the lament that they can’t make movies like that anymore because of PC culture. I grew up in the 70’s & 80’s and it’s amazing how far we’ve come in terms of race or gender or sexual orientation. Comparing the attitudes of today’s society with the 80’s is almost like how we in the 80’s thought of the 1920’s & 30’s. But that’s called evolution. Some things that were OK 50 or even 20 years ago are frowned upon today. But even with that, I don’t agree that you can’t make movies like those anymore. They just have to be great like those were. The problem is most aren’t as good so you’re just left with something racist, sexist, or homophobic. And I’ll take less of those things even if it means some films or other entertainment doesn’t get made. And cancel culture just means that when someone says something people find offensive, those people have the ability to let that person know how they feel. Nobody’s actually getting canceled, especially when there’s so many platforms they can go to & so many ways for them to make good money. It’s not like they have to work in a warehouse for a living.

Okay, this will be my last post on Let's Go Kings. And before you write "good riddance" save your energy. I can see by the replies I'm no longer welcome here. And I get it. But in my defense, I was born in the 1950's and it was a different world back then.

I am being forced to retire because I refused to take a Diversity Acceptance Tolerance & Equality class ("Are You Up To DATE?"). I was ordered to take this class after being written-up on my last job as an electrical construction supervisor, a position I have held for the past 35 years.

On my last job I instructed my apprentice to "Grab a pair of dykes and go into the manhole with a 2" close nipple and cut out the PVC and extend the conduit that was short."

Two brand new apprentices, two lesbian women, evidently overheard me and reported me to the GC and I was written-up and told I needed to attend a DATE class.

I should have told my apprentice to:

"Grab a pair of diagonal cutting pliers and go into the personhole with a short piece of 2" conduit with threads on both ends and cut out the PVC and extend the conduit that was short."

I showed up for the class, but when the teacher gave me the pamphlet with the "Are You Up To DATE?" cover I walked out and went home and began filing my retirement paperwork.

Ok, it's been fun.

And Go Kings!

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom