Should Blake Secretly Give Barry Trotz A Call regarding his Availability?

If Kings Keep Losing, Should Blake Secretly Call Barry Trotz About His Availability?

• YES

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • NO

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters
"secretly" lol.

I will say the team looks like they've abandoned the coach a lotta bit. But it's early yet. I say panic time is more around 2023.

I voted yes, though it might be a bit premature. That contract for McLellan was as absurd as the contract for Petersen. Lots of great decisions so far by Blake, but these were both BAD...hopefully the team recovers from them sooner than later.

It's still early, but if we keep struggling over the coming few weeks . . .

Don't worry lots,
Just Call Barry Trotz.

I voted yes, though it might be a bit premature. That contract for McLellan was as absurd as the contract for Petersen. Lots of great decisions so far by Blake, but these were both BAD...hopefully the team recovers from them sooner than later.

Given where the Kings were when he was brought in I don’t think a shorter contract was an option. No veteran NHL coach wants to come in at the very start of a rebuild and do all the dirty work just to potentially get bounced after 3 seasons.

For what Todd’s accomplished so far and the players that have found their game under him he’s not my main concern, at least yet. Kempe, Moore, and Danault are all better players than they were pre-Todd. Arvy’s found his game again. Kaliyev and Anderson have developed well and if Vilardi continues to flourish add his name to the board.

The losses this year are the most frustrating I’ve experienced in years and yes some of the game prep has to fall on coaches. However inexplicable plays by Durzi, horrible goaltending, and poor passing aren’t on anyone but the players. Clarke makes rookie mistake. Iafallo got injured. They don’t have anything close to second pairing LD. None of that is coaching, either.

When this team is an actual contender then this conversation will be much different, which should be in 2 years anyway when this contract is over.

Agree with Clif.

TMac is doing whatever he is doing with one of the worst defense + goaltending combos in the league.

He took an injury riddled team to 7 games against the "mighty" Oilers.

The kids are fitting in, contributing, developing and playing responsibly (Durzi aside).

The pressure is on Blake right now, he needs to make a couple of moves without question. Now is the time.

That said, there does seem to be a bit of a growing disconnect between TMac and the guys on the ice.

Last night's big win against the Blues is making my post here seem kinda' lame.

:) :) :) :)

That's fine with me. Let's hope the next few games make my post look even lamer still.

I've been pessimistic in the past, and too often turned out to have been right.

But I LOVE it when the team makes my pessimism look foolish.

Go Kings!! Make my pessimism look as dumb as you can!

Agree with Clif.

TMac is doing whatever he is doing with one of the worst defense + goaltending combos in the league.

He took an injury riddled team to 7 games against the "mighty" Oilers.

The kids are fitting in, contributing, developing and playing responsibly (Durzi aside).

The pressure is on Blake right now, he needs to make a couple of moves without question. Now is the time.

That said, there does seem to be a bit of a growing disconnect between TMac and the guys on the ice.

Time to make a move for sure. Past time for Durzi. Although Blake’s conservative nature may have saved Kempe and Vilardi from being shipped out too soon, so there’s a very silver lining.

By now he should have a much better understanding of what cards he’s got with a number of players. I have a suspicion Fagemo will go at some point within the year because who does he beat out for a top 6 spot anytime in the near future? Don’t see it. He should carry some decent value if paired with a current roster player.

the issue with durzi isnt that he cant play, its that we have a literal logjam on the right side. His skill set is also redundant with clarke there. Roy offers something different. And doughty is doughty. They need to address the left side.

Last night's big win against the Blues is making my post here seem kinda' lame.

:) :) :) :)

That's fine with me. Let's hope the next few games make my post look even lamer still.

I've been pessimistic in the past, and too often turned out to have been right.

But I LOVE it when the team makes my pessimism look foolish.

Go Kings!! Make my pessimism look as dumb as you can!
Nothing will beat my "this team has no heart, no leadership, they'll never get into the playoffs and everyone should be traded!!" rant from December, 2011.

Hasn't Barry *ahem* stepped away from more teams than Todd has coached? Trotz's most recent track records is a little sketchy.

I was never happy with the hiring of Todd McClellan,...still why not call any and all available coaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
the issue with durzi isnt that he cant play, its that we have a literal logjam on the right side. His skill set is also redundant with clarke there. Roy offers something different. And doughty is doughty. They need to address the left side.

Yeah it's a strange one in that Clarke projects to do everything Durzi can but better with the exception possibly of heart. Durzi, to me, is exactly the type of player you need come playoff time who will lay it all on the line to contribute in any way possible and get the team around him fired up. Doughty has that too, but all the same it is a rare thing to find and very difficult to replace.

I still think it's a bit too soon for Clarke to be a full time NHL player, so carry both and see how Clarke does through the season / come playoff time. Worst case, it should raise Durzi's trade value to either deal him at the deadline or let him accumulate more playoff experience (and hopefully more success).

Totally agree, though, that we need to address the LD gap sooner rather than later.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back