Skate Sharpening and hollows etc

Has anyone tried the ?flat bottom V" cut? Are there any places around socal that can sharpen like this? My buddy in Texas said I should try it, but I had to look it up to see what it was. He said he likes it. Just curious, and wanted some more opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device

No where in SoCal as far as I know unless you know a pro trainer.

I know people will talk crap but the last time I got a sharpen at Hockey Giant, it was the best sharpening I had ever gotten on my skates. I should have asked for the guy's name. It was just a regular cut. Whatever that means.

I just got a 3/4" hollow. I had a 5/8th before, but my right skate wasn't gliding at all. I can't hockey stop either, but I've only been on ice maybe 5-6 times in the past few months.

Has anyone tried the ?flat bottom V" cut? Are there any places around socal that can sharpen like this? My buddy in Texas said I should try it, but I had to look it up to see what it was. He said he likes it. Just curious, and wanted some more opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Muddfisher told me about someone who does it in Anaheim, I believe.... I am going to pm him and find out the place again. I think it's a place that does mostly figure skating. I can't remember the name. U.S. something-or-other...
With regards to regular hollows, I find myself going more and more shallow as I keep getting fatter. At 3/4 now, might end up at 7/8 one day...

I got the Flat bottom V cut in Anaheim on broadway west of AnaheimIce at USAskates. Their website is Figure skates, hockey jerseys, ice skates, figure skate blades, hockey socks, hockey skates, roller skates and much more! USASKATES - We cater to ice skaters with a large selection of ice skates, figure skates, hockey jerseys, hockey socks, hockey sk

Located between Harbor and AnaheimIce on 411 West Broadway, Anaheim, CA‎ - (714) 999-1400‎.

I have noticed that my edge control is stronger with the V-cut and the glide is much smoother.

wait they're not in anaheim ice? my friend said he got his FBV sharpening @ anaheim ice. i'm gonna try it this weekend. and will see how it feels next week.

wait they're not in anaheim ice? my friend said he got his FBV sharpening @ anaheim ice. i'm gonna try it this weekend. and will see how it feels next week.

You can see AnaheimICE from the shop.

yeah i've seen that shop before. i'll see this weekend. i wonder if anaheim ice got a machine too because i asked my friend 3 times last night at my game if it was INSIDE anaheim ice or the store outside. he said it was inside... lol

ok my friend doesn't know what he's talking about :lol:

went to anaheim ice and they have the blademaster flat bottom. which is not the same as the blackstone flat bottom v. so i guess you are right mudfisher. i'll see how this is and then try out the flat bottom v to compare.

i believe glacial gardens at lakewood also has the blademaster flat bottom machine. so if anyone wants to try that type, you can get it in lakewood and anaheim.

had a game yesterday on the blademaster flat bottoms. i got the X6 which is the more bite. i usually get a 1/2" or 9/16" cut and it took a while to get used to. on turns i could feel it bite in more than on the 1/2. but it felt good going straight. the glide felt great like the 9/16" cut. i need to get more time on it but i would try it again. not sure how long it'll last though. i read that these flat bottom sharpenings whether it's FBV or BFB don't last as long as the standard ROH sharpenings. so i'll see. i still want to try the blackstone FBV next so i can compare it right away. so i guess that'll be my next update. so far i like it.

I just converted to FBV. I have been skating on a 7/8th for years. First tried the 90/50 then moved up to the 90/75. To be honest I was skeptical, but now I am a believer. Way better glide and shaper edges without the chatter on stops.

Last edited:
Here are the locations where they have the Flat V bottom.. Not sure if this is updated but check it out

FBV - Flat Bottom V - Where is it Available? - Blackstone Sport

Jakes Pro Shop which just opened in El Segundo close to Toyota Sports Center has the Blademaster flat bottom which is basically the same idea and competitor to Flat V Bottom.

Anyone who has tried both let me know which you prefer, the Blackstone Flat V bottom or Blademaster. Thanks.

hey guys, quick question on sharpening and hollow depths on skates. For whatever reason, I've never been able to stop with my left foot forward (facing to my right), but I can turn just fine and stop on my right foot with no problems. If I try to stop on my left foot, my skate just chatters and skips and I end up on my ass. My skates are Bauer Vapor X (they're about 7 years old or so) with a 1/2" hollow, and I go 6'2" and 170 lbs. Thanks for the help.

hey guys, quick question on sharpening and hollow depths on skates. For whatever reason, I've never been able to stop with my left foot forward (facing to my right), but I can turn just fine and stop on my right foot with no problems. If I try to stop on my left foot, my skate just chatters and skips and I end up on my ass. My skates are Bauer Vapor X (they're about 7 years old or so) with a 1/2" hollow, and I go 6'2" and 170 lbs. Thanks for the help.

I think that is a skating skill and dominant side/leg situation, not the way the skates are cut. I would kick a ball with my right foot, but I have difficulty on a full hockey stop with my right foot forward( skates pointing left ). Conversely, I can do a full hockey stop no problem with my left foot forward( skates pointing right ). I can stop on just my right foot just fine( skates pointing left ), but when I try to bring my left leg into the equation, things aren't so smooth.

My only advice then is to practice stopping on your off foot until you figure out what works. Someone told me once that not enough weight was being put on the off foot, but I practice it so little that I can't confirm it. Hopefully someone with better skating knowledge can weigh in.

Resurrecting this thread...Does anyone have any recommendations on a shop to have their skates profiled at? I have some new skates and would like to talk to someone about my "issues" with the blades and possible remedies. Thanks in advance.

Resurrecting this thread...Does anyone have any recommendations on a shop to have their skates profiled at? I have some new skates and would like to talk to someone about my "issues" with the blades and possible remedies. Thanks in advance.

Easier to recommend if we know where you are at.

^ Where do you live?

My friend whom is a supervisor at Hockey Monkey always has recommended Anaheim Ice for profiling.

Back
Top Bottom