Tales from the beer league part 2

I find it funny that I left to escape The Rinks at Anaheim to go to Glacial and it has caught right back up with me and the same issues over there have crept over here. I should've known than to trust something run by the Ducks (j/k... kind of).

I agree that the stick times are usually a gong show. They don't plan it well..sometimes you'll have the whole ice to yourself, and other times you won't have a place to skate, which defeats the purpose of stick time. When I went yesterday from one blue line to the goal was taken up by a goalie getting a lesson, and the rest was Parros and the gang running drills. Parros felt bad that I didn't have any ice which is when he invited me to run with them, but I can see how people can easily get shafted. Toyota's not as bad with leaving ice for those who pay for ST and not personal lessons.

I agree that the stick times are usually a gong show. They don't plan it well..sometimes you'll have the whole ice to yourself, and other times you won't have a place to skate, which defeats the purpose of stick time. When I went yesterday from one blue line to the goal was taken up by a goalie getting a lesson, and the rest was Parros and the gang running drills. Parros felt bad that I didn't have any ice which is when he invited me to run with them, but I can see how people can easily get shafted. Toyota's not as bad with leaving ice for those who pay for ST and not personal lessons.

Wow that was empty compared to Monday. Our group (with two coaches) had one side from the blueline to the goal, another group (another coach) had the middle of the ice between the blue lines, and it looked like another group (looked like a goalie lesson) had the hash marks to the goal on the other side. I saw two guys passing a puck back and forth between the hash marks and blue line (w/o a goal) and was wondering what was going on there. They were the only players without a coach, so I'm guessing those are the people who came for stick time that didn't come for a lesson.

I finally got to play with [MENTION=4695]eddieshack23[/MENTION] on Monday night and had a blast. I hadn't played roller in 2 years or so and I was eased back into with with a double-header, lol! We were up 4-1 in the first game, then lost 8-6, but in our second game we took the lead from the get-go and won 9-4. [MENTION=4695]eddieshack23[/MENTION] did some serious work putting in at least 4 goals I think in each game? I had 3 assists in the first game, and one goal in the second on a beautiful bang-bang play and pass from [MENTION=4695]eddieshack23[/MENTION] . The downside, I got some serious blisters, as my inline skates are too big. I stopped by GoalieMonkey today to visit my buddy Wyatt and picked up some Stable26 socks, I read great reviews about them and hope they help out with keeping my heels locked in. http://stable26.com

Last edited:
Nothing good to report other than I now have a reason to hate NAS, they had a show at the fox theater on sunday night and I drove around for 25 minutes looking for parking. Nothing, bupkis except for that street that was one street too far over (seriously when it goes from no parking spots to nobody parks there) so I actually drove home without playing. ****ing sucked.

Our roller team keeps rollin' through the competition, we had a nice 10-4 win last night. I lost track of how many goals [MENTION=4695]eddieshack23[/MENTION] had, but him and I had a nice two on 1 that resulted in some bang-bang passing and I netted a goal out of it. We moved the puck pretty well last night and I think I literally had 10-12 SOG (with 3 or 4 assists), I was aiming for the corners and just missed on most of them, changing it up from low to high.

I finally felt like I played up to my potential last night, my new Alkali RPD Team+ skates are feeling better and better each game, they are a dream to skate on! The transition from ice to roller took a little longer than I expected, but now I feel like I am where I should be in terms of my stick handling, passing, shooting, angles, etc.

Our roller team keeps rollin' through the competition, we had a nice 10-4 win last night. I lost track of how many goals [MENTION=4695]eddieshack23[/MENTION] had, but him and I had a nice two on 1 that resulted in some bang-bang passing and I netted a goal out of it. We moved the puck pretty well last night and I think I literally had 10-12 SOG (with 3 or 4 assists), I was aiming for the corners and just missed on most of them, changing it up from low to high.

I finally felt like I played up to my potential last night, my new Alkali RPD Team+ skates are feeling better and better each game, they are a dream to skate on! The transition from ice to roller took a little longer than I expected, but now I feel like I am where I should be in terms of my stick handling, passing, shooting, angles, etc.

I can't imagine going back to roller... Ice is just too much fun

btw been shelved for last week plus do to groin pull. Thought it was going to be better last weekend and I aggravated it getting out of the damnned car. Really hard to rehab these damn things when you're old.

I can't imagine going back to roller... Ice is just too much fun

btw been shelved for last week plus do to groin pull. Thought it was going to be better last weekend and I aggravated it getting out of the damnned car. Really hard to rehab these damn things when you're old.

Groin pulls are the worst. Think you're good to go, then do something seemingly innocuous and bam, back to limping.

Last edited:
I usually don't say this, but our goalie **** the bed on our playoff game. 3 softies man... I was shaking my head over them. Like I just said, I don't say this suff, but man oh man, it was a mess. I played in goal for soccer and water polo, so I would know when my game was off, and our netminder was way off. Our guy was slow on the low coverage to the opposite pipe on a wrap around, and that started off the scoring for the other team with 30 seconds in. To boot the other goalie was on top of his game and flashed the leather a couple times. We lost 6-5 in a heartbreaker.
Bummer... moving on to this Sunday. My other team starts the playoffs and hopefully we'll be able to gut it out.

Groin pulls are the worst. Think you're good to go, then do something seemingly innocuous and bam, back to limping.

No Fish, I'd tend to disagree with you about the groin pull. No to one-up you, but playing in the first game of the season last night I broke my right ankle in the last 40 seconds of the game. I sheared off the inside ankle bumps of both the tib and fib, dislocated my ankle in the process and tore a few ligaments. I'll take the groin pull any day of the week over this mess.

I'm out indefinitely boys. I'll have to live vicariously through your stories.

D

No Fish, I'd tend to disagree with you about the groin pull. No to one-up you, but playing in the first game of the season last night I broke my right ankle in the last 40 seconds of the game. I sheared off the inside ankle bumps of both the tib and fib, dislocated my ankle in the process and tore a few ligaments. I'll take the groin pull any day of the week over this mess.

D

Ouch man, try to rehab that right. Major bummer there.

FWIW I made it back on the ice a week ago and 4 games through no recurrence of injury but holy hell are all those muscles tired and weak now.

D

That Sucks Chris. I hope you heal quick.

I hurt my-self two weeks ago not in the game. But pulling my bag out of my trunk afterwards at home. I think I tore or pulled my bicep pretty good. Almost back to normal maybe a few more days. Ugg sucks.

I hurt my-self two weeks ago not in the game. But pulling my bag out of my trunk afterwards at home. I think I tore or pulled my bicep pretty good. Almost back to normal maybe a few more days. Ugg sucks.

Damn that sucks! I've heard of similar things happening to other players. Our gear is heavy and when you're tired after playing and a 40-minute drive home your body is cold as ice. It's really easy to pull a muscle. Hope you heal soon Mudz.

I played my first beer league game last night. It was also my first ice hockey game ever. We won 7-3. I scored an assist, drew a crosschecking penalty in front of the crease, and finished +4.

I forgot to mention that [MENTION=9949]P. Diddy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=538]16scores[/MENTION] are on my team too. Great fun playing with you guys!

Congrats man! I hope you had a blast out there and didn't take it too seriously.

the team we played last night decided they had to get our goalie out of the game. He ended up in a fight and there was general chaos. Single ref who didn't really care about anything didn't help. I hope they were happy firing long distance shots into our empty net.

Tonight our new Rollerdaddy season kicks off, we won last season pretty convincingly. We moved up a level, so hopefully we don't get smoked! I'm looking forward to skating with [MENTION=4695]eddieshack23[/MENTION] and working some magic up front.

Congrats man! I hope you had a blast out there and didn't take it too seriously.

I did. I was bit nervous about looking like a total idiot, but I wasn't the worst skater on the ice and was chuffed that I contributed to the win. Glad to have the first game jitters over and done with now.

I did. I was bit nervous about looking like a total idiot, but I wasn't the worst skater on the ice and was chuffed that I contributed to the win. Glad to have the first game jitters over and done with now.

You don't have to call me out like that!

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom