Ted Lasso

kingsjohn

The rocker of the catbox
TEAM LGK
If you haven't checked it out, it's an awesome show that just wrapped up.
a feel good show with great writing and great characters

Apple TV has a 3 month free trial

Last edited:
I thought the Nate leaving West Ham and back to Richmond was a bit rushed. But the ending had all the feels and was well done.

There's some fanfare that the last part with everyone's happy endings and ted with his son was just him dreaming. I doubt it, unless they decide to do another season down the road.

I thought the Nate leaving West Ham and back to Richmond was a bit rushed. But the ending had all the feels and was well done.

There's some fanfare that the last part with everyone's happy endings and ted with his son was just him dreaming. I doubt it, unless they decide to do another season down the road.
It's been confirmed to not be dreams . Coach Beard did an AMA on reddit.

I just found out last week that this lady:
shame-shamewalk.gif

and this lady:

rebecca-welton-ted-lasso.gif

are the same actress.

Have yet to recover.

Finished this the other night.

I don't want to hear any sour grapes...Ted Lasso made me want to be a better person. And yes, I want that world to continue. I would like to thank dear friend SmytheKing, for forcing me to watch and sharing it with me. Not kiddin, this show made the ol' rat bastard very very emotional...*pause*

Attachments

• believe ted.jpg
    believe ted.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 21
Finished this the other night.

I don't want to hear any sour grapes...Ted Lasso made me want to be a better person. And yes, I want that world to continue. I would like to thank dear friend SmytheKing, for forcing me to watch and sharing it with me. Not kiddin, this show made the ol' rat bastard very very emotional...*pause*
ok but season three was a huge step down from season two which wasn't as good as season one

season one was perfect. no notes.

That's just quibbling Doc. So, I see you have softened...kidding. Just because the seasons could not live up to the first one does not make them bad. And it really wasn't about the actual show...it was about the characters. And while the storylines may have dipped a bit, the character work rarely did. Don't throw away the good for the great.

There was a lot of weekly hate on reddit for season three, meh, type what you want but I loved the mushroom epiphany by Ted of inventing a new style of play that already existed and loved hating Zava.

Plus Roy and Jamie becoming besties was too much for my heart to take. *tears*

Other side of the coin: Every scene that Jason Sudekis was in he literally looked like a man going through a very messy divorce with kids & putting on a brave face. Which worked for the character's end but, it hurt my eyes to see that hidden pain.

That's just quibbling Doc. So, I see you have softened...kidding. Just because the seasons could not live up to the first one does not make them bad.
Sure... a slow decline in quality doesn't make something bad.

I'll repeat my take on the MCU. It's rare to find "bad" media these days. The budgets, craftsmanship and effort put into making high profile projects will rarely result in something of low "quality".

Ted Lasso season three is the epitome of "twinkie media". They took something unique and wonderful and then forcefed the simplest most easily reproduced "sweet" elements from it in a crass mass produced form.

It actually contradicted the unique principles and character development that made the thing wonderful in the first place but coated it with so much sugar and frosting because that's what people thought made it good in the first place.

It wasn't.

Season three was empty calories.

If that's what you enjoy when you consume media then who am I to take it away from you? Well... I'm a snob.
And it really wasn't about the actual show...it was about the characters. And while the storylines may have dipped a bit, the character work rarely did. Don't throw away the good for the great.
ok now you made me mad. I wrote a big long post going into my very long and detailed thoughts about why you're wrong but I deleted it because as I said above... if you like twinkies and think that they're good I'm not here to yuck your yum.

but season three was yuck and you're wrong

one of my favorite scenes

Solid. But I'm all for adorable plus gruff equals feels but I was more of a anytime Sam smiles or anytime Higgins & fam do anything for my favorite scenes. The Brits always take their holiday episodes seriously, this one was no exception; sexy christmas, the door-to-door dentist stalking, Higgins fam (tiny house/big family--great!) taking in strays for dinner, Rebecca/Ted singing in the street and a sprinkle of snowflakes as an ending. Good times.

Found this pic and did not know if it was a Ted Lasso post or a "other" sports post. I made my choice.

liverpool-fc-has-a-believe-sign-above-the-door-v0-jq5xl5jeommb1.jpg

Sure... a slow decline in quality doesn't make something bad.

I'll repeat my take on the MCU. It's rare to find "bad" media these days. The budgets, craftsmanship and effort put into making high profile projects will rarely result in something of low "quality".

Ted Lasso season three is the epitome of "twinkie media". They took something unique and wonderful and then forcefed the simplest most easily reproduced "sweet" elements from it in a crass mass produced form.

It actually contradicted the unique principles and character development that made the thing wonderful in the first place but coated it with so much sugar and frosting because that's what people thought made it good in the first place.

It wasn't.

Season three was empty calories.

If that's what you enjoy when you consume media then who am I to take it away from you? Well... I'm a snob.

ok now you made me mad. I wrote a big long post going into my very long and detailed thoughts about why you're wrong but I deleted it because as I said above... if you like twinkies and think that they're good I'm not here to yuck your yum.

but season three was yuck and you're wrong
You keep being you my friend...You are the realist to a point Yin, to my true geek love based solely on emotion Yang.

I agree with you actually. That s3 and s2 were more or less running primarily on the showcasing of what worked organically in the first season. Ok. So, they kept playin the hits. Is that a bad thing? Don't all great things that continue eventually feed on themselves? Was it manipulative? No, not in my opinion. It was saccharin sweet, sure. But that is what we were all looking for. We agree, I just succumb easier brother. Why fight something so lovely?

*** all questions are rhetoric

Ok. So, they kept playin the hits. Is that a bad thing? Don't all great things that continue eventually feed on themselves?
For me personally? Yes. The beauty of season 1 was grace, forgiveness and maturity in the face of cynicism, transgression and emotional turmoil.

Season 2 wanted to showcase higher highs in the face of lower lows (the storylines involving everybody's fathers/Nate's evolution) but felt like it couldn't commit fully. I have various theories as to why they may have pulled their punches.
Was it manipulative? No, not in my opinion.
Yes.
It was saccharin sweet, sure. But that is what we were all looking for.
I wasn't. I was looking for more of what I saw in season one and what we got with Nate in season two. The triumph of virtue being its own reward in the face of those who refuse to believe that.

For me personally there was no authentic or organic conflict in season three. There was no foil for the virtue. I usually hate the phrase "virtue signaling" in media critiques but for me, season 3 was mostly fan service blended with virtue signaling. As it happens ... the virtues generally align with my own and as a fan I could enjoy the service. I just would have liked more substance and less "pandering".

However... I acknowledge that I am in the extreme minority in specifically stating that I do not want to be pandered to nor do I enjoy it.
That is why I "fight" against things that are "lovely".

For me personally? Yes. The beauty of season 1 was grace, forgiveness and maturity in the face of cynicism, transgression and emotional turmoil.

Season 2 wanted to showcase higher highs in the face of lower lows (the storylines involving everybody's fathers/Nate's evolution) but felt like it couldn't commit fully. I have various theories as to why they may have pulled their punches.

Yes.

I wasn't. I was looking for more of what I saw in season one and what we got with Nate in season two. The triumph of virtue being its own reward in the face of those who refuse to believe that.

For me personally there was no authentic or organic conflict in season three. There was no foil for the virtue. I usually hate the phrase "virtue signaling" in media critiques but for me, season 3 was mostly fan service blended with virtue signaling. As it happens ... the virtues generally align with my own and as a fan I could enjoy the service. I just would have liked more substance and less "pandering".

However... I acknowledge that I am in the extreme minority in specifically stating that I do not want to be pandered to nor do I enjoy it.
That is why I "fight" against things that are "lovely".
Gonna try to bring you into the light, if ever slightly. It is my 'tilting at windmills'.

EDIT: I really do understand your point. And I DO agree. But I have tried to be less cynical, especially in the face of something so 'lovely'. It brought myself and a good friend closer and as I see my Richmond scarf on my computer chair, the memory of this show brings a joy high. And I am a junkie. Doc...have you seen RRR? If not, the next time my looney little group has a theater showing...I am going to buy you a ticket. You don't have to go with me. Just go. I think you need a little unexplained joy buddy. RRR and Ted Lasso had the same effect on me as Whoville crooning did to the Grinch.

Attachments

• believe ted.jpg
    believe ted.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
But I have tried to be less cynical, especially in the face of something so 'lovely'.
It's not cynical to have opinions about media. It's not cynical to not enjoy being emotionally manipulated while being asked to ignore your own beliefs.
It brought myself and a good friend closer and as I see my Richmond scarf on my computer chair, the memory of this show brings a joy high. And I am a junkie.
I have a Ted Lasso toy set on my desk at work. I'm talking to you about Ted Lass months after the show finished. You going to tell me I haven't bonded with people over this show? You going to tell me thinking and talking about this show even the parts I didn't like doesn't bring me joy? Why exactly do you think I would do this? If you say "just to fight" or "just to be a contrarian" or some equally lazy thing then I'll be very disappointed.
Doc...have you seen RRR? If not, the next time my looney little group has a theater showing...I am going to buy you a ticket. You don't have to go with me. Just go.

I think you need a little unexplained joy buddy. RRR and Ted Lasso had the same effect on me as Whoville crooning did to the Grinch.
Tell me you've never heard me talk about hockey, sports or The Kings without telling me you've never heard me talk about hockey sports or The Kings.

I haven't really followed your other interests buddy. Apologies. I must've misspoke. Was not trying to offend you Doc.

I'm not offended. Let's grab lunch and I'll talk your ears off.

I missed the back and forth here, to be honest. I am so grateful that you and a lot of my fave people are here. This is where i BELONG. Thanks Doc.:smoke:

Back
Top Bottom