Thatcher Demko

J

jgs

Lurker
Ok Kings fans Demko might very well be on the trade market. Do you think Blake should make an offer and if so, who should be included in the trade.

So you found a guy who is having as bad a season as Quickie. Not sure this would be an upgrade...

If it was for Petersen, a Grade B prospect and a 2nd, I'd do it. But no way Vancouver would agree to that.

His stats are as bad as Quick's this year and he's been injured. If you look at his history though, he's been solid. Same salary as Petersen, but one more year. So I'd consider taking the risk if we'd get Petersen's contract off the books, but, again, it would cost too much.

So you found a guy who is having as bad a season as Quickie. Not sure this would be an upgrade...

He has a career average of 2.93 GAA and a 909 save percentage. Yes his stats are not great this year but he has been injured and the Canucks are a bad mess as a team so it cannot be put all on him for the weak stats this year. But on a good team I think he can provide the type of goaltending that can win games consistently. Plus I think he is a big improvement over Peterson at the same money.

He has a career average of 2.93 GAA and a 909 save percentage. Yes his stats are not great this year but he has been injured and the Canucks are a bad mess as a team so it cannot be put all on him for the weak stats this year. But on a good team I think he can provide the type of goaltending that can win games consistently. Plus I think he is a big improvement over Peterson at the same money.

the problem is you cant guarantee anything, and the cost to acquire him and move Peterson would be pretty high. Maybe in the offseason, but sending out assets to acquire him at the deadline, after an injury just doenst seem wise.

the problem is you cant guarantee anything, and the cost to acquire him and move Peterson would be pretty high. Maybe in the offseason, but sending out assets to acquire him at the deadline, after an injury just doenst seem wise.

Agreed, I think he would be a good addition and decent upgrade with the potential to become more but there really is no need to overpay for him at the trade deadline. Also, as you indicated, Petersen would have to either be going back in return or traded elsewhere to make it work. Right now we would be trying to move Petersen at an all-time low value which would be painful.

Well it is going to cost the Kings no matter what to bring in a bonified starter. And no one will give the Kings much for Peterson. Quality cost money.

Well it is going to cost the Kings no matter what to bring in a bonified starter. And no one will give the Kings much for Peterson. Quality cost money.

True, but why go for Demko when Varlamov is a viable option? I guess one of the plus' of Demko is his value is also at an all time low, but VAN has not indicated they are willing to trade him.

i suspect they don't bring in a bonafide starter. At least not right now.

This is where "the [vague ass] plan" of Blake's has run into a problem.

Yes, we have goaltending issues, but we are still having a number of defensive breakdowns, and Blake and the Kings don't even have the blueline figured out yet.
- They're short grit back there.
- Durzi's still on the wrong side.
- Still missing the quality 2nd-pairing LHD this team has needed since last season.

Is it just the goalies? Or is it lack of identity in our own zone? Or just lack of quality defending? Or a full on combo? -- The blueline should have been sorted out by the beginning of this season where the players and the prospects and we (as fans) know how it's going to be.

I'd be reluctant to make a deal for any goalie when the team's own-zone inconsistency consistently hangs all of them out to dry... which isn't great for any of these goalie's mental aspects of the game.

This is where "the [vague ass] plan" of Blake's has run into a problem.

Yes, we have goaltending issues, but we are still having a number of defensive breakdowns, and Blake and the Kings don't even have the blueline figured out yet.
- They're short grit back there.
- Durzi's still on the wrong side.
- Still missing the quality 2nd-pairing LHD this team has needed since last season.

Is it just the goalies? Or is it lack of identity in our own zone? Or just lack of quality defending? Or a full on combo? -- The blueline should have been sorted out by the beginning of this season where the players and the prospects and we (as fans) know how it's going to be.

I'd be reluctant to make a deal for any goalie when the team's own-zone inconsistency consistently hangs all of them out to dry... which isn't great for any of these goalie's mental aspects of the game.
I think all of our measuring sticks got out of whack during the Kings' run as a defensively terrific team. I'm not saying the Kings' defense should not be shored up, it should. But defensively, they're no worse than an average NHL team. Lots of NHL teams hang their goalies out to dry on a regular basis. It's just that the Kings' goaltending this season has amplified those mistakes because a large percentage of them ends up in the net. In fact, the Kings are sixth-best team in the NHL at allowing shots against per game but 23rd in GAA.

So arguably, they're a better than average defensive team with atrocious goaltending.

The tier of "elite" goalies in the NHL is a very exclusive group and Thatcher Demko is not a member. Nowhere close.

The Kings have shown, over the past decade, that their system can turn historically marginal goaltenders into above average ones.

So, why give up significant assets for a slightly above average goaltender? Makes no sense. The Kings will ride or die with Pheonix this year and reassess the position in the offseason.

Dumping Cal's contract is still imperative though, and that will cost assets. I think you can trade him to a crap team for a 7th rounder if you throw in Akil Thomas and Kirill Kasparov perhaps. Gotta move some of these middling prospects at some point.

The tier of "elite" goalies in the NHL is a very exclusive group and Thatcher Demko is not a member. Nowhere close.

The Kings have shown, over the past decade, that their system can turn historically marginal goaltenders into above average ones.

So, why give up significant assets for a slightly above average goaltender? Makes no sense. The Kings will ride or die with Pheonix this year and reassess the position in the offseason.

Dumping Cal's contract is still imperative though, and that will cost assets. I think you can trade him to a crap team for a 7th rounder if you throw in Akil Thomas and Kirill Kasparov perhaps. Gotta move some of these middling prospects at some point.

Well that when we had Sutter as coach. TM defensive system doesn't turn marginal goaltenders into good ones. It turns them the other way.

I think all of our measuring sticks got out of whack during the Kings' run as a defensively terrific team. I'm not saying the Kings' defense should not be shored up, it should. But defensively, they're no worse than an average NHL team. Lots of NHL teams hang their goalies out to dry on a regular basis. It's just that the Kings' goaltending this season has amplified those mistakes because a large percentage of them ends up in the net. In fact, the Kings are sixth-best team in the NHL at allowing shots against per game but 23rd in GAA.

So arguably, they're a better than average defensive team with atrocious goaltending.

Correct.

This year (and last year's) team limit shots and chances against at a level well above average. Unfortunately poor goaltending has caused inflated goals allowed numbers to make the team's defense seem much worse than it actually is.

It would be nice to add that mythical left shot d-man who can skate, pass, hit and has decent size but that really isn't nearly the priority that goaltending is. Fix the goaltending, win more games and the "missing" defenseman suddenly doesn't seem like such a gaping hole.

Correct.

This year (and last year's) team limit shots and chances against at a level well above average. Unfortunately poor goaltending has caused inflated goals allowed numbers to make the team's defense seem much worse than it actually is.

It would be nice to add that mythical left shot d-man who can skate, pass, hit and has decent size but that really isn't nearly the priority that goaltending is. Fix the goaltending, win more games and the "missing" defenseman suddenly doesn't seem like such a gaping hole.

Agreed. Metrics like Goal Saved Above Expected have Quick and Cal in the bottom dozen overall and bottom 9 per 60 minutes. Our goalies have underperformed. So even if Quick or Cal was hung out to dry by the defense on a few of the goals, those are goals that the average goalie stops more often. FWIW, Copley has slightly negative GSAx now, basically middle of the pack to below average. And he's ended up with a great record so far. We'll get to see Vejmelka in person in about 10 days. Clear out some of the forward prospect logjam for him like a Kupari or Fagemo.

I thought he was injured. And he wasn’t playing well even before that. So if it’s a trade to help us this season I wouldn’t do it. In the off season I’d think about it if Quick retired & they want to move on from Cal. But he wouldn’t be my 1st choice. Also just because he was born & raised in SoCal isn’t a reason to trade for him.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back