The Clarke Decision

My fear is they've tried to get cute with this decision. Like they think they found this briliant way to get around the rules and they sort of have, but at what expense? Feel like the kid in the lineup wouldve been helpful in some of these losses.

My fear is they've tried to get cute with this decision. Like they think they found this briliant way to get around the rules and they sort of have, but at what expense? Feel like the kid in the lineup wouldve been helpful in some of these losses.

Agreed. Just play the kid and stop it with the mind games.

They know he's NHL ready but this whole stupid 10 game thing is annoying.

Agreed. Just play the kid and stop it with the mind games.

They know he's NHL ready but this whole stupid 10 game thing is annoying.

Personally I think he is best suited to be in the AHL right now, and his slow start with the Reign shows that. That said, no use in sending him there since he can't stay so I agree that it's time to give him regular minutes with the Kings and stop avoiding doing so.

Did you guys read the article? What they are trying to do sounds very reasonable.

They're expecting him to get an invite to the World Juniors camp, which would buy some time and allow them to use him down the stretch of the NHL season without burning the 40 game threshold for a specific FA clause in his pro contract.

It all makes pretty good sense.

ive seen arguments for and against, and i think this is likely the best path forward. He gets probably at least as many games this way than if he just stayed with the Kings. It allows them stay under 40 games with the Kings. And it allows them to work walker and durzi into the lineup. There are a lot of parts to this, and this allows them to fit everything in. And it's significantly better than him going back to minors.

Blake is going to ruin this kids career. Just play the kid, he will make some mistakes but he will learn from them. Heck the whole team is making all sorts of stupid mistakes and they are still playing them.

Clarke wasn’t on the list of 29 players invited to Hockey Canada’s camp. Neither were Wright or McTavish, but it appears they’re not simply guaranteeing NHL clubs spots for their top prospects.

Not real interested in seeing him try out and possibly not make it. This situation is getting dumber.

Per Pronman he's one of the three that are expected to be released to the team

Team Canada, Team USA world juniors camp invite breakdowns — who got picked and why?

The relevant portion:

While Shane Wright, Dylan Guenther and Brandt Clarke weren’t listed on the roster Team Canada released, it’s expected they will be loaned out.

Note this isn't a confirmation and presumably Blake has been talking with the folks at hockey canada and not just assuming things. All that said I'm not seeing how the Toddster is going to meld another rookie into the lineup since he's finally gotten Q basically earning his way into the lineup back from the A and there's already the Reign grumbles about callups. If it was as simple as "does he make the lineup better" I'd trust Todd and Blake to do the right thing. But they aren't doing that and the potential for unintended consequences with this strategery keeps growing.

Per Pronman he's one of the three that are expected to be released to the team

Team Canada, Team USA world juniors camp invite breakdowns — who got picked and why?

The relevant portion:

Note this isn't a confirmation and presumably Blake has been talking with the folks at hockey canada and not just assuming things. All that said I'm not seeing how the Toddster is going to meld another rookie into the lineup since he's finally gotten Q basically earning his way into the lineup back from the A and there's already the Reign grumbles about callups. If it was as simple as "does he make the lineup better" I'd trust Todd and Blake to do the right thing. But they aren't doing that and the potential for unintended consequences with this strategery keeps growing.

Thanks - that’s clarifying if that’s the case. But still, agreed on this being a faulty strategy in how it’s been executed. Given how horrible the D has been there’s been ample opportunity to play Clarke another few games. But the answer is no because contracts. And that only looks smart if the team is solid.

Further confirmation from LAkingsinsider here:

Kenny Connors selected to USA WJC Preliminary Roster + Status of Additional Eligible Players

The relevant portion:

Finally, regarding Brandt Clarke, it’s important to note that today’s announcement does not impact his availability for the tournament in any way. Clarke, as noted yesterday by Todd McLellan, traveled with the Kings to Ottawa earlier todat and is presently a part of the NHL roster. In order to join Team Canada, the Kings would need to loan Clarke there before the tournament. As of tonight, that has yet to happen, but their pre-tournament camp does not open until December 9 and the tournament does not begin until December 26. Kings General Manager Rob Blake has indicated that Kings management, Clarke and Hockey Canada have already grouped up on his potential participation. Context is key and the first reaction to a piece of news does not necessarily make it the right reaction, or the informed reaction and today’s announcement does not impact Clarke, the same way it does not impact Seattle’s Shane Wright, who was also not named.

The latest quotes from Kings General Manager Rob Blake, Head Coach Todd McLellan and Scott Salmond of Hockey Canada as they pertain to Clarke –

Rob Blake on Brandt Clarke, last week
With the World Juniors coming up, we have a decision to make here within the next few days. We’ve had calls, multiple calls, with Hockey Canada discussing that and Brandt included. We travel on Monday, back to Ottawa and Toronto in that area, when Hockey Canada’s camp would start up, so we’ll have a look at those things there for next week.

Todd McLellan on Brandt Clarke, yesterday
He’s been back now since last Sunday, he didn’t play on the homestand and he’ll head out to Ontario, he’ll make the trip, and some decisions will need to be made when we’re out there. What has he gotten? He had a real good training camp, he had experience early in the season and he got to go to the minors and he didn’t miss that step this year and now he’s back and he’s getting to practice with the group. It gets hard for an individual when that happens, because you’re doing the work but you’re not getting the carrot, it can be hard for a young player to understand, but that’s a part of the situation he was made aware of. Moving foward, we’ll see where it all goes.

Scott Salmond, Hockey Canada Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations
While we continue to have discussions with NHL teams regarding additional players that may be available to attend camp, we are thrilled for the 29 players that have been named to our camp roster.

Basically Hockey Canada reserved the right to give Clarke the finger again

News is out. He’s going to camp. Really gonna suck if they don’t pick him again.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back