The Legendary Jonathan Quick

Kurisu

O Captain, My Captain!
I remember on this board, one of the funniest threads I recall in all my years here (which pre-dates this account).

Mondo and his "Screw it, I think I'm on Team Bernier."

That was probably 12-13 years ago, before the cups and Conn Smythe. The argument back then was that he was "swimming in his crease, always out of position and making routine saves look dramatic."

It was such an amazing run with him when he proved all those doubters wrong, and provided us with the most stable era of Kings goaltending since Rogie, but unfortunately it looks like those old premature criticisms have caught up with him. He still has flashes of brilliance, but when he gets beat these days, like several times tonight, the ghosts of old Mondo posts flash before my eyes.

Thanks Quickie, it's been an incredible run, and I look forward to the jersey retirement you've earned with your place in Kings history.

Pretty sure there’s no video, but Sean O’Donnell said the crowd that wanted to replace Quick, were “morons”

Before the season, I was hoping he'd pass Ryan Miller to become the all time winningest US goalie (and greatly help his Hall of Fame chances). Now, I hope he can pass Barrasso (he needs only one more win, but considering he hadn't won a game in almost two months before Friday, that's not exactly a slam dunk.

Quick gets in the hall of fame even without passing Barrasso. 2 Cups, Jennings, Conn Smythe, and (don't have the stats in front of me) but I believe had 1-2 years with GAA of under 2.00.

Go Kings!!

Quick gets in the hall of fame even without passing Barrasso. 2 Cups, Jennings, Conn Smythe, and (don't have the stats in front of me) but I believe had 1-2 years with GAA of under 2.00.

Go Kings!!

I hope so, and I think he deserves to be in the HoF but it's going to be hard for him to get in without hitting the 400 win mark given that he does not have a Vezina and plays on the west coast. He really should be in the HoF when he retires, though.

Go Kings!!

They should, but they are tough on goaltenders and I think Quick will have detractors. I hope he gets in and think it would be a crime if he isn’t, but I do not think his case will be smooth sailing. (Especially because he never won a Vezina, though I think he deserved it more than Lundqvist in 2012)

I hope so, and I think he deserves to be in the HoF but it's going to be hard for him to get in without hitting the 400 win mark given that he does not have a Vezina and plays on the west coast. He really should be in the HoF when he retires, though.

I don't understand your logic. Barrasso won the Calder AND Vezina, and also 2 Cups (back to back) and he's not in the HOF. Why would they put Quick in when Barrasso isn't?

Its 50-50 for JQ to get into the HoF. Its been historically difficult for goaltenders to get in. And, unfortunately, I think the last 3-4 years have hurt Quick's chances more than helped him. I hope it happens, he certainly had a very lengthy stretch of being a superb goalie and a 3 year stretch where he was all-world quality, but memories fade real quick.

A Vezina would make a big difference, as would a medal as a starting goalie for the US in 2014. Sadly will be tough. Not sure most shutouts as an American goaltender does much but it’s a stat that looks safe for him for a while.

I remember on this board, one of the funniest threads I recall in all my years here (which pre-dates this account).

That was probably 12-13 years ago, before the cups and Conn Smythe.

They were doing it after he won the damn cup and should have won the friggin Vezina. LOL

Quick never won a Vezina? what? Damn I thought he did. Is there a better goalie than 2012 Quick, ever? Or do those silly things not count playoffs? Idk - I don't think count him out yet.. maybe? I feel if he took this summer and just worked at what the obvious issues are and changed his style and.. became a different player, he might have a few years left in him - IDK. ITS ALL SO WRONG. Quick's my favorite player ever. I want him to succeed - but he's definitely not feeling it this year. Last year I think he may have given all he had left, or maybe it's just in his head, or he's just about ready to be done. Either way it's been awesome. Copley is fun to watch, because the Kings win with him in net, but it's unproven. Quick's proven more than anybody. I don't care if he's not an all star in his last few years playing. I do hope he does what he wants, but seeing Brown retire I'm assuming gave him an inkling of the same idea.

Last edited:

I remember that thread very well. I agreed with Bland/Mondo/Brad on many of his observations, but definitely not on that one. It was apparent to me that Quick had that special element to his character that made him a winner. Never got what Mondo saw in a physically weak and mentally fragile Jonathan Bernier. Yes, great technique is a wonderful asset but the total confidence, competitive fire and physical strength/agility that Quick brought to the ice made any comparison tilt heavily in Quick's favor.

I don't understand your logic. Barrasso won the Calder AND Vezina, and also 2 Cups (back to back) and he's not in the HOF. Why would they put Quick in when Barrasso isn't?

This! Quick's odds are 0-10% right now. He needed to pass Miller to get more than a 50-50.

You don't understand my logic? Come on bro, you really think Quick shouldn't be in?

Barrasso was good and played in a different era so it's hard to compare, but from a stat perspective he won the Veniza on a 2.85 GAA and .893 Save %, for his career he averaged 3.24 / .892 which is a far cry from Quick. For context, Quick is 2.46/.911 over his career. That said, different era with a lot more goal scoring so my honest opinion is if Fuhr is in Barrasso also should be.

With Quick, I really believe he would have won a Vezina had he played on the east coast. From an overall stat perspective, I find him to be the best ever US Born Goaltender which gives him a shot at getting in. He also has an Olympic silver medal (Barrasso had nada).

One tidbit that may work in his favor regarding the HOF. He not only one two Cups, but the two goalies he beat were Brodeur (GOAT?) and Lundqvist (almost sure to be in the HOF himself). Also, in those two finals, against those two goalies, he was 5-0 in OT. Yes, Ryan Miller has an Olympic medal, but how many cups did he win? One thing for sure, Quick can help himself if he rallies for one last run this year.

Living in Chicago, I'm constantly surprised by how convinced the fans are here that Crawford is going to the hall one day too. Its my reality check on if Quick will make it vs if I think he should be in there. I mean if you asked the fans in St Louis who was in their heads more, 9/10 of them would say Quick over Crawford.

Not only was Quick robbed of that Vezina, he was named 2nd team allstar to Henrik that year too. Know who else got a first star nod? James Neal, of the #askneal fame. Man 2012 was a wild time.

Living in Chicago, I'm constantly surprised by how convinced the fans are here that Crawford is going to the hall one day too. Its my reality check on if Quick will make it vs if I think he should be in there. I mean if you asked the fans in St Louis who was in their heads more, 9/10 of them would say Quick over Crawford.

Not only was Quick robbed of that Vezina, he was named 2nd team allstar to Henrik that year too. Know who else got a first star nod? James Neal, of the #askneal fame. Man 2012 was a wild time.

Kind of like the way I was robbed of two points on that trivia question by some guy named Jammer!

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back