Booze The single malt scotch thread

I've made a couple of disappointing purchases recently, first was a bottle of Glenrothes Select Reserve recommended by a friend at the store that day. Upon opening it was all sherry and wood and I knew immediately that it wasn't what I was looking for and wondered how in the hell I'm ever gonna get through the bottle to get on to the next--even considered giving it away. Luckily, after being open for a few weeks the bottle did settle in a bit and now after a few months it's showing some prettier aspects and gotten enjoyable--though I'd never buy it again. The sherry cask influence is just too prominent for my liking.

Halfway through the Glenrothes I decided to go ahead and pick up another in hopes of having a bottle I could reach for happily, and after staring at the usual suspects for an hour went with the Glenfarclas 12 which I'd never had, but I'd LOVED the 21yr that I'd gotten many years back. It also seemed tight and super woody (think mushrooms) at opening and I lamented that I now have TWO bad bottles--and both at like $50 each--where there's so many good alternatives at that price point. I coulda just gone withe the Hakushu 12 which I absolutely love and has been my last two or three (and goes QUICK in my house) Again though, the Glenfarclas has opened up and revealed more complexities and balance and gotten drinkable. I'm starting to wonder if it's me, or something in the bottling process? I don't remember ever being so put off by new bottles. Anyway, I'll do more research and reading before picking the next.

Oh, there is one more purchase however that I'm quite proud of:

HIGHLAND_PARK_30yrs_SINGLE_MALT_750ml.jpg

Got two bottles for the ridiculously nice price of $200 each. Gave one to my pops covering basically two years worth of Birthday; Xmas; and father's day. :good: This took no blowing off whatsoever: easily and far and away the best Single Malt I've ever tasted.

Last edited:
i think i'm gonna try one of the basic but well rated japanese single malts next time i'm in the market for scotch. a nikka or suntory.

I got a bottle of Nikka Yoichi 20 for my 40th birthday back in June.

yoichi-20-year-old-whiskey.jpg

I never would have bought this on my own (on account of the price). Wife went out on a limb (knowing I like whiskeys)...and she made a good choice!

Considering it's 52% ABV and the fact that it's aged in new oak casks, Yoichi has a distinctly spicy tinge to its scent and its initial sip. That bit of fire is quickly tempered, though, by a creaminess on the palate that settles in after a second or third sip. Taking time to find the earthy hint of peach and mild orange/lemon notes that follow the initial spice makes it an enjoyable sip. I like it's finish.

Did you all know that the website Master of Malt sells 3cl samples of this stuff (and LOTS of other stuff in sample sizes)!?!?!? I think I've found my new favorite website!!! What a great way to taste some of the REALLY nice whiskeys!!!

Other stuff I got this past birthday (who knew that 40 was the whiskey birthday?) in addition to the Yoichi:

A bottle of The Macallan 17 Old Fine Oak (my best buddy toured the distillery in Scottland and brought this back for me). SOOOOO FREAKIN GOOD...my favorite Scotch of the lot I think.
Two bottles of The Macallan 12 Sherry Oak (one 750ml and a big ass 1.75L)
A bottle of Big Bottom Zin Cask Bourbon <------GO TO TOTAL WINE RIGHT NOW AND BUY THIS TO TRY (It's a nice zinfandel cask aged bourbon...VERY tasty! They've got a straight oak as well as a port cask version as well...all good!)
A bottle of Cragganmore 12

I've got great family and friends.

Last edited:
i think i'm gonna try one of the basic but well rated japanese single malts next time i'm in the market for scotch. a nikka or suntory.

If you're thinking a 12yr, I would definitely recommend Suntory's the Hakushu as a highly enjoyable and dangerously delicious Japanese bottle.

I got a bottle of Nikka Yoichi 20 for my 40th birthday back in June.

yoichi-20-year-old-whiskey.jpg

I never would have bought this on my own (on account of the price). Wife went out on a limb (knowing I like whiskeys)...and she made a good choice!

Considering it's 52% ABV and the fact that it's aged in new oak casks, Yoichi has a distinctly spicy tinge to its scent and its initial sip. That bit of fire is quickly tempered, though, by a creaminess on the palate that settles in after a second or third sip. Taking time to find the earthy hint of peach and mild orange/lemon notes that follow the initial spice makes it an enjoyable sip. I like it's finish.

Did you all know that the website Master of Malt sells 3cl samples of this stuff (and LOTS of other stuff in sample sizes)!?!?!? I think I've found my new favorite website!!! What a great way to taste some of the REALLY nice whiskeys!!!

Other stuff I got this past birthday (who knew that 40 was the whiskey birthday?) in addition to the Yoichi:

A bottle of The Macallan 17 Old Fine Oak (my best buddy toured the distillery in Scottland and brought this back for me). SOOOOO FREAKIN GOOD...my favorite Scotch of the lot I think.
Two bottles of The Macallan 12 Sherry Oak (one 750ml and a big ass 1.75L)
A bottle of Big Bottom Zin Cask Bourbon <------GO TO TOTAL WINE RIGHT NOW AND BUY THIS TO TRY (It's a nice zinfandel cask aged bourbon...VERY tasty! They've got a straight oak as well as a port cask version as well...all good!)
A bottle of Cragganmore 12

I've got great family and friends.

Great stuff! And man, Yoichi 20 is a fantastic gift!! The only problem with the Japanese greats is that the bottles go WAY too fast. They're born and bred for irresistible deliciousness.

Yeah, with all the negatives to getting older, if there's one positive it's the liquid presents absolutely do get better. At least we have that. :26smile:

I may hit up a sample of the Big bottom bourbon if I can find it. Any others you'd like to recommend please don't hesitate to bump the bourbon thread. I respect your taste and any input is appreciated!

Big Bottom is about $35 at TW. You won't be disappointed. I've given it as a gift to several people, and they've all loved it.

Does anyone know for certain which distillery makes the Kirkland 20year Scotch at Costco? It's a speyside...and damned if it isn't like butter. It USED to say on the label (it was Macallan), but it no longer does. The funny thing is that it says on the label that it's aged in oak casks for 20 years and finished in sherry casks. It doesn't say how long it was finished. If it is still from Macallan, this method would be different than their normal, which is to age in sherry casks. Maybe that's why it no longer states the distillery??

Not as if it really matters. This is a 20 year old bottle of Scotch for under $60. I'd call it a score.

Last edited:
there was an ardberg rep at my local fine spirits shop who was trying to get me to buy their whisky. i forget what she had to offer outside of the information she was trained to repeat, maybe a complimentary scotch glass? i remember i asked her if they had any to taste and she said "no" so i didn't buy. it wasn't just the lack of tasting that turned me off though. the girl had a strong surfer girl accent... it sounded like the stereotypical valley girl you'd hear in a parody (only i live by the coast and a good hour south of the valley) + super ditzy. i just couldn't listen to her talk anymore so i ducked in and grabbed a lagavulin and ducked out fast. i'd be inclined to buy though if it's truly a good distillery.

Ardbeg is great. Especially the provenance. Be prepared to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for it.

It's too bad that they got a ditzy idiot to promote it. That seems to be getting popular. It kinda worked for Laphroig.

Here in Providence, RI tonight, I have the pleasure of staying in a crew hotel that gives us a nice 50% discount on food and drink. It just so happens they have an extensive collection of single malts, so I figured I should snap off a double of something new!

1379253_10202096104341697_858853168_n.jpg

Bowmore 18 year.

In a single word:

YUM!!!

In a few more snooty, ipsy-pipsy, scotch-snob-sounding words:

Sticking my nose in the glass, it had bit of a solvent scent with what I thought to be an almost spearmint-like tinge on the back end of the whiff. Compared to my go-to (Macallan 12) this is a very different beast to the nostrils, and frankly I was a bit turned-off by it at first. However, as I indulged, it grew to be rather nice.

Neat, it has an almost luxurious buttery mellowness with only a very slight peatiness to the taste. The usual wood smoke is certainly there. No (or at least very little) heat to this scotch at all, making it a real pleasure to swill around in my mouth. Water opened it up nicely, bringing out a floral flavor that was vaguely gin-like and a deepening of the buttery smooth palate.

The finish was all orange blossoms and plumish-grapey.

I liked it.

But then again, I don't know jack about Scotch. ;)

1962591_10203003174377881_903784825_n.jpg

"Craigellachie, we have a problem."

Was awarded that as tribute on my birthday last year (June 6). Ran out last week. Costco isn't carrying 12 at the moment. Looks like I might need to go to Total Wine tomorrow.

Balvenie 12 or 15
Oban
Macallan 12 and beyond
Glenlivet
Dimple Pinch
Glenmorangie

Dewars (for blends)

I know this isn't a blend but has anyone tried the Dewars 12 year blend. It's $21.99 @ Trader Joe's. Just curious.

Can you have too much scotch? Apparently, which is why I haven't done much buying of late. But on a recent overseas trip, I stopped into the duty free and came across a series of Highland Parks that are sold only in duty free stores. This one is Highland Park Leif Erickson. A good solid dram. Not mind-blowing, but all around tasty. What makes this different from the usual HP releases is that they use American Oak for LE, whereas the usual releases typically use sherry casks and sherry butts. And if you're traveling overseas, need a good drink on the plane, and can't take a full bottle through security, this is a really good dram.

I thought I would be able to buy some other bottles on the way home, but to no avail. There were a couple other HP's that are sold only in duty free shops, and looked mighty tasty.

Sounds good.

If I ever visit Providence, I am gonna get drunk on good Scotch and visit Lovecraft's tomb. ;)

I have a gravestone rubbing from Lovecraft's tombstone that was put up in 1977 (he in in the family crypt) framed in my den.

During a trip to Bevmo yesterday and picked up a new one for myself Dewar's Aberfeldy 12 year single highland malt
a touch of honey to start then spice with a touch of orange. Very enjoyable neet.
BevMo! - Aberfeldy 12 Year Old

Back
Top Bottom