Booze The single malt scotch thread

thanks, we're running low (just a few drams of highland park left) so that might just be what i include in my husband's father's day gifts.

While technically not a Lowland, Springbank is sometimes grouped into the Lowlands. It really is a Campbeltown, but there are so few of each they sort've merged the two reagions. I just had a bunch of Springbanks with the Scotch Club including a glorious 22 year; barrelled 1972, bottled 1995. Oh my stars that was good stuff.

so get THIS... my brother in law is from a town called Stornoway. it's on the Isle of Lewis, 'bout as high as Highland can be, save for Orkney.

he was running a club there before he moved back to the States, and was just recently telling me how the proprietor of the place had bought a rather large amount of single malt from a nearby distillery (not sure if it was an Islands or Highlands) that runs a retail of a "hundred quid" easily... and that it was basically sitting there collecting dust... and was likely going to continue to do so.

yeah, i'm in the process of attempting to cajole him into getting some of that shipped here... i even told him i'd pay the tax.

On a whole other note, this is not to be missed:

The Los Angeles Scotch Club

This is not a for-profit group. I've tried drumming up some interest in the Scotch Club on this board in the past to a lukewarm response. This is the third time we are doing the Peatin Meatin. Its going to be the best one yet. And this year, we've got Scotch distilleries sponsoring the event (meaning they'll be brining their Scotch for us to enjoy!!!!).

Slainte!

so get THIS... my brother in law is from a town called Stornoway. it's on the Isle of Lewis, 'bout as high as Highland can be, save for Orkney.

he was running a club there before he moved back to the States, and was just recently telling me how the proprietor of the place had bought a rather large amount of single malt from a nearby distillery (not sure if it was an Islands or Highlands) that runs a retail of a "hundred quid" easily... and that it was basically sitting there collecting dust... and was likely going to continue to do so.

yeah, i'm in the process of attempting to cajole him into getting some of that shipped here... i even told him i'd pay the tax.

Wow... just wow. Let me know if you need any help (procuring of and disposing of).

On a whole other note, this is not to be missed:

The Los Angeles Scotch Club

This is not a for-profit group. I've tried drumming up some interest in the Scotch Club on this board in the past to a lukewarm response. This is the third time we are doing the Peatin Meatin. Its going to be the best one yet. And this year, we've got Scotch distilleries sponsoring the event (meaning they'll be brining their Scotch for us to enjoy!!!!).

Slainte!

sorry about that, sir. i would've jumped on that if i hadn't gotten pregnant close to the time you mentioned it and if i lived closer. nowadays, my scotch drinking usually occurs after i tuck her in and it's time for me to unwind. maybe when she's bigger...

:cheers:

got a littlemill 16 yr. it better be good... haha, jk. we'll see. waiting until next weekend before we try it out.

Picked up...
Tomatin 18yr (Highland Region)
Tomintoul 16yr (Speyside Region)

So, let's hear about some of these new finds... Littlemill? Tomatin (pretty good stuff)? Tomintoul (questionable material there, but you gotta try everything)?

My new ones are a Signatory Vintage bottled for Binnys Royal Lochnagar, which is excellent. Got a Rosebank Flora & Fauna which needs some time to open up; very alcoholly right now. I also got an Elements of Islay Lagavulin, which, as you might expect, is heavily peated and ultra aggressive. My most recent pride and joy is a Gordon & MacPhails Dallas Dhu 22. Needs some time to open up, but when it does, it should be beyond excellent.

Bump.

Spent last night with friends drinking a variety of Arran (almost 20). Isle of Arran is a rather new distillery located on (ready for this) the Isle of Arran. As a young distillery, they do not have the volume to release standard 8 year, 10 year, 12 year whiskies. So what they did was release a variety of whiskies with different finishes; that is, age the whisky and then put in a unique cask for a couple of months to impart a unique taste. Many of these were quite successful. The Amarone finish is quite good as well as the Bourdeax and Champagne finishes. On top of all the unique finishes, they are starting to release single barrel bottles at cask strength which are pretty good too. These are pretty reasonably priced too.

Anybody else tasted Arran? Good, bad, indifferent?

nope, haven't tried it. i did get around to trying the littlemill. good rec, thanks! i usually only have it when i have some time to just relax and sip and those are few and far between lately so that's what took me so long to reply.
got this one, fyi and it was tassssssty.

littlemill19901.jpg

This is where you can taste an incredible range of whiskies from Scotland to Kentucky, mingle with the producers and distillers, independent bottlers and brand ambassadors and meet the stars of the industry.The sheer range of whisky on show will challenge even the most determined taster; everything from old favourites to unusual finishes and rare bottlings. The very best whiskies of the world all under one roof.
Los Angeles 2011 - Whisky Live - World Whisk(e)y Tasting and Sampling Shows

Any good scotch/whisky bars around? 7Grand downtown is supposed to have a good selection, anywhere else?

Any good scotch/whisky bars around? 7Grand downtown is supposed to have a good selection, anywhere else?

Daily Pint; best in LA, maybe best in California, maybe best in the country. It has a very large Scotch whisky menu.

Went last year. Bring a designated driver. Generally there is a discounted entry fee through Goldstar.

I just got word of a couple of discounts on Whisky Live being offered in conjunction with the LA Scotch Club. The first is a reduced price from $135 to $99 with the offer code "LASC99". This will give you a VIP ticket (early entrance) and admission to a master class being put on by a rep for Chieftans (a pretty good independent bottler that is rapidly expanding; they will be presenting some interesting expressions of various distilleries including a Benrinnes 26 year). The other discount is a reduced price from $105 to $78.50, which provides for regular admission; use offer code "LASC".

This really is a dynamite event where you can expand on your whisky-loving experiences.

The discounts are available through the Whisky Live website at Los Angeles 2011 - Whisky Live - World Whisk(e)y Tasting and Sampling Shows.

Just had Doug Campell, Master Distiller for Tomatin, and their regional rep do a tasting at my place this past week. There's lots of good stuff. I remember fondly tasting their 30 year and 40 year last year. I preferred the 30 year. I was pleasantly surprised by the tasting. The 12 year is a fine pedestrian expression. The 15 year is a slight step up from that, but is different as it does not have a finish (whereas the 12 year is finished in a sherry cask). There is a really good value in the 18 year which sells for around $60. A very tasty whisky, and a good buy for that value. They also brought a new expression from the distillery called Decades. It is a mixture of different casks from the different decades in which Doug Campbell has worked at Tomatin. Its a bit more expensive (neighborhood of $100), but is a very good, warm whisky. Then they brought something amazingly special: a 28 year, single cask. Very few are available. It is selling for about $550 per bottle. Its pricing is probably based more on scarcity than taste, but it is really good stuff. We (meaning the scotch club) also brought a Douglas Laing "Old Malt Cask" expression of a Tomatin 40. It actually nosed of bubble gum. Really good stuff as well.

There are some good values with Tomatin. If you're looking for something new and different, you might want to consider it.
/Slainte

Was given a bottle of Macallan 12 for my birthday recently, and though the gesture is deeply appreciated I just don't like that Whiskey at all. Hadn't had it for some time and was shocked how terribly oak-dominated it was. In just one glass it was like someone beat me senseless upside the head with an oak plank, dragged me up and down the stairs (oak treads, go figure), then forced me to EAT that plank. It's got legions of loyal fans and to each his own. But man, not for me.

Back
Top Bottom