Booze The wine thread

now here's one that i think Hipcheck can REALLY sink his teeth into. i think it's RIGHT up his alley.

2004 Ridge, Ponzo Vineyards California Zinfandel.

i have become a bit of a freak about 2004 Russian River Valley wines, and this is absolutely NO exception!

it is in the $20-$30 range (i can't remember exactly) at Cost Plus. if it's out of any of your price ranges, f*** it... BUY THIS!!!

it is absolutely outstanding. it has a strong punch because it is a strong wine (about 14.9%)... much more than any Zin i've ever had. probably due to the fact that it's 96% percent Zin, 3% Petite Syrah, and 1% Carignane. but make NO mistake, it finishes smoother than any Zin i've had as well and the fruit really pops on the way down. somewhat dry and VERY lengthy!

a little sweet and new tasting, it was perfect for a couple of spicy rubbed steaks and a curried rice that Kat and i had for dinner tonight... i'm going out tomorrow or Wednesday to grab a few more because this s*** is going to drink exceptionally well for the next 5 years. the bottle definitely got better the longer it sat.

8237.jpg

Last edited:
Ridge consistently makes a good Zin. I also like Dover Canyon Winery's "Alto Pomar"

and Burgundy is the best region for Pinot Noir, hands down. A wine from Domaine de la Roman?e-Conti will kick ass over any Pinot Noir you can get on this continent.

My wife and I went out to an extravigant dinner in Sedona last week, and had two half bottles of 2005 Kosta Browne Pinot (one was Russian River Valley, and the other Sonoma Coast) at $90 each. I've been searching for this wine for a couple of years, and wasn't disappointed. It was so good we ordered another $90 half bottle, if that is any indicator. Without a doubt, the best wine I've ever had...and I've had lots. What's unfortunate is, when it came out it was rated by Wine Spectator as a 93, and was only $35 a bottle. Now, if you can find it, it's about $55 for a half bottle (the above price was in a restaurant). Regardless, it was worth it.

My wife and I went out to an extravigant dinner in Sedona last week, and had two half bottles of 2005 Kosta Browne Pinot (one was Russian River Valley, and the other Sonoma Coast) at $90 each. I've been searching for this wine for a couple of years, and wasn't disappointed. It was so good we ordered another $90 half bottle, if that is any indicator. Without a doubt, the best wine I've ever had...and I've had lots. What's unfortunate is, when it came out it was rated by Wine Spectator as a 93, and was only $35 a bottle. Now, if you can find it, it's about $55 for a half bottle (the above price was in a restaurant). Regardless, it was worth it.

How would you compare the RRV wine to the Sonoma Coast wine? I would imagine the RRV Pinot Noir would have a bit more ripe fruit. Drinking these young Pinot Noir's at restaurants scare me because I would want them to aerate for about 2 hours before I try them.

now here's one that i think Hipcheck can REALLY sink his teeth into. i think it's RIGHT up his alley.

2004 Ridge, Ponzo Vineyards California Zinfandel.

a little sweet and new tasting, it was perfect for a couple of spicy rubbed steaks and a curried rice that Kat and i had for dinner tonight... i'm going out tomorrow or Wednesday to grab a few more because this s*** is going to drink exceptionally well for the next 5 years. the bottle definitely got better the longer it sat.

8237.jpg

A recent Zin I had that I thought was very good was the Murphy Goode Liars Dice Zin. It goes for 15-20 per bottle and I thought it outstanding. One thing about wine though is the quality/taste of the wine directly correlates to the occasion/mood of the wine drinker. When its a joyous celebration and you are in a good mood the wine always tastes better; if you are in a crappy mood even the most expensive wine will leave you dissapointed.

Just my 2 cents and in true Hipcheck fashion tonight Ill be drinking the $4.99 Jakes Fault Shiraz from TJs. And yes-I will use my decanter for my anonymous LGK friend who hates decanters and has yet to show the nads to reveal himself.

Anyhow...

murphy_goode_liars_dice_sonoma_county_zinfandel_2003.jpg

Just my 2 cents and in true Hipcheck fashion tonight Ill be drinking the $4.99 Jakes Fault Shiraz from TJs.
I might have to try that. I had a good experience with the one bottle of shiraz i had.

BTW, in Sideways, the Maya character mentioned that Miles' bottle was peaking.

Anyone know what resource one would refer to to find such information?

Temecula trio available right now in the Woot off. Will probably be gone in 15 minutes.

I used to occasionally buy from Wine Woot but lately there havent really been that good of deals.

my wine

this is my favorite wine. I like it because it's good and a local Wine here in WA. This wine tastes great with Cheese Burgers.

resmerlot.jpg

Silver Lake said:
MERLOT
The bold and fresh black, blue and raspberry fruit aromas are supported by an underpinning of soft velvety wood flavors of vanilla and cedar. Aged for 22 months in small oak barrels (77% new French oak) the tannins in this wine are beautifully balanced with the intense rounded fruit flavors. Serve this wine with all types of red meat dishes. The subtle flavors of rosemary encrusted lamb make the perfect foil for the lively fruit flavors in this exceptional wine.

-_Sf

I have not let my children eat fast food.

That's just brutal. They're going to end up without the necessary enzymes to eat American food, and their first trip to McDonalds will scar them for life when they **** themselves....Ronaldzuma's Revenge or something similar.

-_Sf

THANK YOU for posting that! Didn't R. Parker's site used to provide those pages to members only? I printed one a few years back from a one-day trial, but you couldn't get past his front page without joining up and logging in. I carried that thing folded up in my wallet for a year or two, and towards the end it was falling to pieces like an ancient treasure map or something. Got some pretty weird looks breaking that thing out and trying to hold it together. But what a invaluable tool when you're just not sure, and there's bottles of the same wine on the shelf--from two different vintages--and the peeps at the store are (bigger) dolts (than I). Yes, I'll be printing this toot sweet.

Also... please add me to the list of Ridge lovers. At $20 to $30--and with all those bottlings--it's not a cult wine or considered high-end, but it always feels like a special occasion. Pulling one out to open and seeing that label brings a certain anticipation because you just KNOW you're in for something special.

I'm bringing this thread back to life for two reasons:

1) I recently did a tour of the Santa Ynez Valley

&

2) I'm drinking a hell of a lot of wine lately. Not necessarily good wine but it's wine nonetheless.

did I mention I have an affinity for Agrapart 2000 Mineral Champagne?

did i mention the owner of my wife's shop gave me two bottles tonight for helping him out the last 2 days with computer ****?

Tomorrow night, I see some Mineral in my future.

I'm bringing this thread back to life for two reasons:

1) I recently did a tour of the Santa Ynez Valley

&

2) I'm drinking a hell of a lot of wine lately. Not necessarily good wine but it's wine nonetheless.

Where did you go in Santa Ynez? My wife and I, as well as some friends, go up there at least a few times a year.

Where did you go in Santa Ynez? My wife and I, as well as some friends, go up there at least a few times a year.
Was my first trip to the area and I did the whole 'Sideways' tour.
Went down Santa Rosa road first, hit the new Sanford winery, Lafond, then the old Sanford Winery now called Alma Rosa.
Went to the old Windmill Hotel, noted the locations of AJ Spurs and the Hitching Post, then went to the Ostrich Farm before checking in at Solvang. Afterwards ate at the Hitching Post. Great food and I had the Highliner, of course.
Next day played 9 holes of golf at the Alisal River course, ate at the Solvang Restaurant, then checked out Kalyra, the Santa Ines Mission and Gainey before heading north up Foxen Canyon Road.
It got too late to make it to Foxen, but coming south, hit Zaca Mesa, Fess Parker and Firestone before eating at the Los Olivos Cafe and Wine Merchant.
Next day ate at Split Pea Andersons before heading back home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up a bottle of Ghost Pines cab recently....for a sub $20 wine very very tasty.
23177.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom