Tri casters?

LucsDad

3rd Line Winger
Anyone else think it is weird how we have NN with play by play - JF doing color AND DE adding an extra color comment - right after JF makes one? Why have double color comments?

I like DE but it seems excessive

Because....... legends.

I unfortunately moved out of L.A. and can only listen to the radio broadcasts most of the time so my brain is used to hearing NN and DE. The 3 of them just kind of all blend nicely for me. I actually kinda enjoy it.

I was hoping I would get a shot, however all I got was an interview and a no thanks. Frustrating to say the least.

They should have put John Rosen on the radio PBP and put NN on TV after Miller retired. Missed opportunity, IMO.

jom

Our broadcast is outstanding now. I mean, this team would be joy to listen to/watch even if the Kings were bad. The fact that the Kings are tearing up the league makes the broadcasts even better. Fox is better with Nick and DE brings great insights as well.

The only possible downside is these guys are long in the tooth so I don't know how many years of this dream team we will get before someone retires.

Big fan of how the broadcasts work right now. DE by the glass is neat and he's picking up great tidbits.
The whole production is actually better than it's been for a long time. CB, patty and Stoll work well together. I like army but I admit that's because I've met him in person, he's still needs a lot of tv polish.

Our broadcast is outstanding now. I mean, this team would be joy to listen to/watch even if the Kings were bad. The fact that the Kings are tearing up the league makes the broadcasts even better. Fox is better with Nick and DE brings great insights as well.

The only possible downside is these guys are long in the tooth so I don't know how many years of this dream team we will get before someone retires.

This. Alex Faust has no business commentating on a hockey broadcast since he speaks like someone who is far more engaged in a basketball or volleyball game and to have him hog the Kings PBP broadcast booth for 7 years was unbearably painful enough that us fans had a hard time actually trying to watch the games on TV every time he opens his mouth. I never thought I would say this, but Faust makes Brian Heyward (Ducks) and Jack Edwards (Bruins) sound like Bob Miller and they're already annoying homer commentators to begin with despite the fact that they obviously know more about hockey than Faust does (and I'm referring to Heyward and Edwards here, Miller is most certainly not an annoying homer). The Kings did the smart decision to not renew Faust's contract and let him go after last season and bring in Nick Nickson from the radio booth to replace him as the PBP guy; the improvement was noticeable the moment the Kings aired their games this season with Nickson on the broadcasting booth and making Jim Fox less annoying compared to his time with Faust.

Last edited:
This. Alex Faust has no business commentating on a hockey broadcast since he speaks like someone who is far more engaged in a basketball or volleyball game and to have him hog the Kings PBP broadcast booth for 7 years was unbearably painful enough that us fans had a hard time actually trying to watch the games on TV every time he opens his mouth. I never thought I would say this, but Faust makes Brian Heyward (Ducks) and Jack Edwards (Bruins) sound like Bob Miller and they're already annoying homer commentators to begin with despite the fact that they obviously know more about hockey than Faust does (and I'm referring to Heyward and Edwards here, Miller is most certainly not an annoying homer). The Kings did the smart decision to not renew Faust's contract and let him go after last season and bring in Nick Nickson from the radio booth to replace him as the PBP guy; the improvement was noticeable the moment the Kings aired their games this season with Nickson on the broadcasting booth and making Jim Fox less annoying compared to his time with Faust.
Yeah, I don't know what it was but Fox went off the deep end there for a long time. He's MUCH better now with Nick. I still miss Miller though....

jom

I don’t miss Faust’s forced “buddy/buddy” broadcast style with Fox (that Fox went along with) in the least. Nickson calls the game as it should be instead of using every third shift to talk about something useless or chide Foxie about something or other.

The way it is now is wonderful. Nick, Jim, and Daryl are perfect together.

Alex got under my skin when Jim would throw out a hockey term or phrase - so Alex began using that term over & over.

Then, on national broadcasts, he used those terms like he knew what they were always.

Faust - to me - comes off as a smarmy frat boy.

To be fair, Faust had to step into the legendary void left by Miller. A difficult circumstance for any PBP guy. He homered a bit, but suspect that is a natural tendency for a new hire. He didn't mesh that well with Fox, though Fox shares some of the blame for that. All considered, I believe he was adequate. That said, NN is a much better fit for that void.

This trio just feels right. Its as close to having Bob Miller back as we can ever get. Nick just has one of those voices you could listen to all day long, and you trust what he is saying. Up there with Vin Scully, Chick Hearn and the likes.

This trio just feels right. Its as close to having Bob Miller back as we can ever get. Nick just has one of those voices you could listen to all day long, and you trust what he is saying. Up there with Vin Scully, Chick Hearn and the likes.
Nickson really does belong there in the conversation with Hearn, Scullt, and Miller as truly exceptional LA sports broadcasters.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back