Broadcast TV for 2023-2024

X

XPantericA

Lurker
So, where do we stand as far as watching Kings hockey this coming season? The last thing I heard was that they would not be on Bally's. Surely by now something is in the works. Has anyone heard anything?

I’d love to see the Kings make a deal like the Phoenix Suns just pulled off.
https://frontofficesports.com/phoenix-suns-mercury-move-forward-with-gray-television-deal/

Every game will be available in the region for free. Some games broadcast over the air on local tv and all games streaming for free online. Very radical approach but it’s giving all fans 100% access.

I live way out of market. Last year I paid for the ESPN+ BS and there's blackouts, horrible ESPN commercials repeating over and over, and NO PLAYOFFS which I find ridiculous. This year I'm saying screw all that and got the VPN going (before the playoffs) and will just watch it however the wind blows me until the games end at 1am, because there's literally no way for me to watch the damn games the way the NHL wants me to, even if I paid, which I wouldn't mind - but this is their doing for out of market fans. I haven't had cable TV as an adult, ever, so the NHL needs to seriously get with the times a little bit on this. IDK the background details, but the games should just be plain easier to access. Last year it was like half Jim & Faust, half ESPN, have TBS or whatever the other one was. sh*t show.

I live way out of market. Last year I paid for the ESPN+ BS and there's blackouts, horrible ESPN commercials repeating over and over, and NO PLAYOFFS which I find ridiculous. This year I'm saying screw all that and got the VPN going (before the playoffs) and will just watch it however the wind blows me until the games end at 1am, because there's literally no way for me to watch the damn games the way the NHL wants me to, even if I paid, which I wouldn't mind - but this is their doing for out of market fans. I haven't had cable TV as an adult, ever, so the NHL needs to seriously get with the times a little bit on this. IDK the background details, but the games should just be plain easier to access. Last year it was like half Jim & Faust, half ESPN, have TBS or whatever the other one was. sh*t show.
I'm also out of market and used Hulu last year to stream (most) of the games. I suspect I won't be able to do that this coming season.

Reactions: FBJ
If you are out of market, (or even in) the ESPN + is a no brainer. I usually go with whatever games SportsNet or CBC are covering because of the great presentation and knowledge of the presenters. I'd love to see the Kings on local channel like 5, 9, 11 stc.

We need CMore to step up!

FId08yWVUAAXiiB

If you are out of market, (or even in) the ESPN + is a no brainer. I usually go with whatever games SportsNet or CBC are covering because of the great presentation and knowledge of the presenters. I'd love to see the Kings on local channel like 5, 9, 11 stc.

The problem for out of towners is complete absence once when playoffs start :( I have my ways to watch regardless but still. That sucks to pay for the service all year and then it's like, ohp, no playoffs for you. ESPN+ worked OK for the regular season, I liked I could watch next day. I prefered the Gamecenter? or whatever it was called before that when it was on NHL.com. I don't know how any of this behind the scene TV stuff works, but it could all be a lot easier for cable cutters and fans around the country/world to watch, especially regarding playoffs.

Last edited:
The last I had heard was wen Faust was let go.
The organization currently has no information on a future rightsholder partnership or distribution agreement. Additional broadcast details will be announced prior to the 2023-24 NHL season.

I also live out of market. VPN worked last season. The NFL exploded once home games were broadcast live to local markets. Can not understand why the NHL can't likewise profit. I would be happy to purchase a package if there were no blackouts. The current various restrictiosn are neigh incomprehensible.

If you are out of market, (or even in) the ESPN + is a no brainer. I usually go with whatever games SportsNet or CBC are covering because of the great presentation and knowledge of the presenters. I'd love to see the Kings on local channel like 5, 9, 11 stc.Li
Like way back when, when Stu Nahan covered hockey on a couple of those chanels you just listed!!

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back