Where?s the Brown appreciation thread?

Sevenhole

Denver’s #1 Kings fan
TEAM LGK
So I?ll start it, let?s go!! I?m going to blank on the last couple years and focus on what this guy has meant to this organization during his career. He was the guy that brought the physical play to this team. Laying out opponents every night, never had the pure scoring touch but knew what his role was every night. Something this team still lacks today. Leading the league in hits when nobody wanted to play this team. Can certainly argue about his quite demeanor at the ?C? at some point in his time here but he held two Cups over his head and was a force in each. To me he was a quite assassin in his prime. I really think it?s unfortunate that he didn?t announce his retirement earlier so we could recognize his contribution to the success of this organization. Gretz brought a lot of attention to California hockey but never got us to the promised land, Brownie got us there with little fanfare for himself. Looking forward to a inspiring raising of his jersey to the rafters next year.

There was a thread but it was a short while ago.

Today I watched the press release/retirement announcement date from.. awhile ago, and teared up several times. **** as soon as I saw Bob I started. What a legend. Can't put into words. Saw him lift the cup in person in 2012 and it was a highlight of my life. Remember when Browny started with the Kings. I was 12. Watched him more than half my life. So cool to see a career and person over the years, the Kings fans have been very lucky in this regard with a lot of quality athletes. Brown's the first of these retirements and I can't wait to see his jersey in the rafters.

There was a thread but it was a short while ago.

Today I watched the press release/retirement announcement date from.. awhile ago, and teared up several times. **** as soon as I saw Bob I started. What a legend. Can't put into words. Saw him lift the cup in person in 2012 and it was a highlight of my life. Remember when Browny started with the Kings. I was 12. Watched him more than half my life. So cool to see a career and person over the years, the Kings fans have been very lucky in this regard with a lot of quality athletes. Brown's the first of these retirements and I can't wait to see his jersey in the rafters.

Sorry if I missed an earlier thread but he was a quality player and person as a young man that many looked up too when there were plenty of players but not people to look up too

Brown deserves a ton of Kudos, as a representative of the local community through his professional work there's simply not many better. You can bitch about his style as a player, but he's got rings and he did it not only his way, but the organizations way for a long time. I know there are stories about how he was almost traded, but you know what, he wasn't. And while the relationship after that could have turned absolutely brutal, it didn't. Winning might cure a lot of things but Brown got the high ground there and did a fine job of facing the community through it.

Watching that 2012 DVD really shows how valuable Brown was. No kings fan will ever forget his devastating hit on Sedin--that moment sealed our love for Brown. Tap. Tap, tapping on the bench door--classic!

Clutch performer when in his prime and totally unselfish. His play was so so the last few years ,but I suspect some of that was the result of all the punishment his body took through the years.

The Dude should have never lost the "C"

Last edited by a moderator:
Tho I know there were a few others who were "major" leaders

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown was always a player I loved and hated at the same time. Loved the passion, physicality, and especially the commitment to the team and the community. Hated the diving, the matador defense, and the dirty hits. He deserves to be the first of the Stanley Cup Quartet to have his number retired and raised to the rafters. Thank you for everything, Brownie.

His hit on Sedin was certainly a pivotal moment from 2012. Here's a couple of others from 2012 I remember well and fondly: 1) his go-ahead go in game 1 against Phoenix in the 3rd period. Score was tied at 2 early in the third, and like a freight train, he roared into the zone and fired a missile past Mike Smith for the eventual GWG. 2) In the clinching game six against NJ, he opened the scoring on the 5-minute major. Then, a couple of minutes later, he "scored" (later changed to Jeff Carter on the deflection) to give the Kings a 2-0 lead. With those two scoring plays, he announced to the Devils, the Kings, the fans, the media, and everyone watching, that this was the Kings night, and they would NOT be stopped. Two hours later, he was handed the Cup. :)

There's so many interesting facets of Brown's career, all as a King, it's almost too much to remember.

- 18 seasons
- 3GM's
- 2 lockouts
- 2 Cups
- Second King to spend his whole career with his team (Dave Taylor)
- 5 20+ goal season, 1 30+ goal season
- All Time NHL Skater Records Most Hits, Career 3,632

And an absolute model of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct throughout. I certainly appreciate all of that.

His hit on Sedin was certainly a pivotal moment from 2012. Here's a couple of others from 2012 I remember well and fondly: 1) his go-ahead go in game 1 against Phoenix in the 3rd period. Score was tied at 2 early in the third, and like a freight train, he roared into the zone and fired a missile past Mike Smith for the eventual GWG. 2) In the clinching game six against NJ, he opened the scoring on the 5-minute major. Then, a couple of minutes later, he "scored" (later changed to Jeff Carter on the deflection) to give the Kings a 2-0 lead. With those two scoring plays, he announced to the Devils, the Kings, the fans, the media, and everyone watching, that this was the Kings night, and they would NOT be stopped. Two hours later, he was handed the Cup. :)

Staples loudest moment was the 2nd goal in Game 6 vs NJD. Going into that game, fans were just waiting for the Kings to blow another chance at winning their first cup. The first goal allowed everyone to exhale, 2nd goal it started becoming a reality.

Go back and listen to that 2nd goal celebration...

I will miss the guy.

Bought his jersey the day after he signed his first long term deal in 2007. Happy to see him finish his career here and not shipped out or amnestied when they had the chance. Its nice to see one of your favorites play it out on their terms.

Staples loudest moment was the 2nd goal in Game 6 vs NJD. Going into that game, fans were just waiting for the Kings to blow another chance at winning their first cup. The first goal allowed everyone to exhale, 2nd goal it started becoming a reality.

Go back and listen to that 2nd goal celebration...

I will miss the guy.

Lol I remember going into the restroom during the first intermission and strangers were like already crying and hugging on the way, in the restroom, and on the way back. The whole game was like this epic celebration and absolutely exhausting up until the final goal and then one last loud boom when he raised the cup. Honestly I think the coolest thing I've ever been part of.

Lol I remember going into the restroom during the first intermission and strangers were like already crying and hugging on the way, in the restroom, and on the way back. The whole game was like this epic celebration and absolutely exhausting up until the final goal and then one last loud boom when he raised the cup. Honestly I think the coolest thing I've ever been part of.

Fans were screaming and yelling for joy everywhere in the concourse during the first intermission. Speaking just for myself, it didn't become real until the Lewis ENG. Until that point, I wondered (remembering the Kings blowing a 4-0 lead in a game against the Sharks a year before) if another epic collapse could still occur. After the 5th goal, it was a done deal. It's by far and away the greatest sports memory of my life. Nothing else even comes close.

Speaking just for myself, it didn't become real until the Lewis ENG. Until that point, I wondered (remembering the Kings blowing a 4-0 lead in a game against the Sharks a year before) if another epic collapse could still occur.

I was there that night and remember feeling the opposite. That team, by that point in the playoffs, wasn't giving 4 goals back. It just wasn't happening. I remember it feeling like certainty after The Power Play.

The loss in Game 5 in NJ felt like an anomaly, and after that 1st period back at home all the emotion started swelling. The next two periods were a gauzy haze until they started rolling those red carpets on the ice.

I was there that night and remember feeling the opposite. That team, by that point in the playoffs, wasn't giving 4 goals back. It just wasn't happening. I remember it feeling like certainty after The Power Play.

The loss in Game 5 in NJ felt like an anomaly, and after that 1st period back at home all the emotion started swelling. The next two periods were a gauzy haze until they started rolling those red carpets on the ice.

You were thinking rationally, and were right (as it turned out). The thing is, when it comes to rooting for the Kings, it's hard at times to keep rational thoughts, especially under those circumstances. :) Before game 6, I felt the series could go either way, that the Kings were as likely to blow the 3-0 series lead as to win the Cup. It's interested how we felt quite different about the same game.

I've said it elsewhere & I'll say it again. Brown may not be a Hall of Famer like Kopi, Doughty, & Quick probably are. But I think he's the most important player in Kings history, including Gretzky & Dionne. Because he led us to 2 Cups. I like to spend a lot of time on hockeydb going over old rosters & stats. And looking at the Kings roster in Brown's 03-04 rookie season. nobody else on that team made it to 2012. So at the time of when he lifted the Cup, Brown was the longest tenured King on the roster. I think that fact says a lot about Brown's importance to that team. BTW, the 2nd longest tenured player on the Cup winning team was Kopitar.

There were so many great moments in that final Brown press conference. One of them was talking about Kopitar & calling him his brother. The other was talking about his favorite moment. And instead of just saying lifting the Cup, he said it was being on the bench of that last 3 minutes of game 6. Saying they were realizing that their dreams were coming true. Every time I hear about that it gives me chills, makes me tear up,& gives me so much joy. Brown not only made his dreams come true, he made all Kings fans dreams come true. So thank you Brownie.

I've said it elsewhere & I'll say it again. Brown may not be a Hall of Famer like Kopi, Doughty, & Quick probably are. But I think he's the most important player in Kings history, including Gretzky & Dionne. Because he led us to 2 Cups. I like to spend a lot of time on hockeydb going over old rosters & stats. And looking at the Kings roster in Brown's 03-04 rookie season. nobody else on that team made it to 2012. So at the time of when he lifted the Cup, Brown was the longest tenured King on the roster. I think that fact says a lot about Brown's importance to that team. BTW, the 2nd longest tenured player on the Cup winning team was Kopitar.

There were so many great moments in that final Brown press conference. One of them was talking about Kopitar & calling him his brother. The other was talking about his favorite moment. And instead of just saying lifting the Cup, he said it was being on the bench of that last 3 minutes of game 6. Saying they were realizing that their dreams were coming true. Every time I hear about that it gives me chills, makes me tear up,& gives me so much joy. Brown not only made his dreams come true, he made all Kings fans dreams come true. So thank you Brownie.

You make a great point about Brown's Kings tenure going into the Kings first Cup Win. Personally I hope Brown is considered for the HoF. If Clark Gillies can make it, why can't he?

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back