GDT ***Playoffs Rd1 GAME 5 GDT LA Kings @ Edmonton Oilers 5/1/24 7:00pm on BSW & ESPN***

Pathetic Game, In the Handshake line Doughty asks Mcdavid, "How much did you pay the Refs", Mcdavid says, "Doesn't Matter, You Gotta Kill the Power Play"

Still scratching my head... how are the Kings not leading this series 3-2?

This series was just the perfect example of why the organization needs a new vision from the top. The Kings were built to be a contender 5 or 6 years ago. In 2024 the team is so easy to beat the Oilers only needed 1 line to hold serve 5v5 and just wait for the Power Play.

Hell look at the one damn real goal they scored tonight. It started with Spence drawing in the lone Oiler forechecker then making a tape to tape pass to Englund. Englund makes the cleanest 40 foot pass he’s made all season to Arvidsson in the neutral zone, Arvidsson finds Lizotte slashing between two defenders and he scores from the slot area.

That play has not existed for this Kings team after Jan. 1. But you see how damn effective it is. Get some god damn puck moving d-men over the summer and you don’t have to rebuild. The tight salary cap will take care of the rebuild naturally.

Last edited:
Kings need an established goalie. What goalies are available this summer, FA, RFA, Trade?

Gibson, Saros, Markstrom, Ullmark, Vejmelka, Merzlikins. To name a few.
I read Islanders might be willing to trade away Sorokin's recently signed 8 year, 8.25 million contract. Varlamov replaced him in net this playoffs, he's a cheaper option with 3 more years of term.

Trade Sorokin for PLD; 2 birds with one stone. Hell, throw in a 2nd rounder and Lewis. I'd do anything to jettison the dead weight of PLD--BUT this will probably have to be done by new GM.

Last edited:
Thank you Nyssa for the GDTs this season. Gonna be a long wait until October.

It almost would have been better if the Kings had been blown out in this game.

The play at the end with a hold by a player without a stick takes the cake. No idea how they saw all the other "stuff" and somehow missed that one.
Definitely a heartbreaking end. I dared to believe we might actually score that tying goal.

I'll be rooting for the Hurricanes, because they are the only other team on which I can actually name more than a few players. (it's been "a season" in my household). And might as well root for the Oilers since I hate all the other W Conf teams even more than them.

I want to congratulate the Oilers & wish them all the best in their journey towards winning the Stanley Cup. But I can't. F**k them. McDavid's great, whatever. He's still the most boring superstar on the planet. But I truly despise Divesaitl. I hope he never wins the Cup, either with the Oilers or anywhere else. Anyway, I hate that team, I hate their players, I hate their fans, & I hope they get bounced in the next round.

In this game the refs sucked. Just like last game & the game before that. That said, we have to kill those penalties. I know technically we did. But it's not safe until we get all 5 guys back in position & the puck cleared from the zone. And how do we not score a PP goal the entire series? Our special teams was good during the regular season but disappeared in the playoffs. I don't know how that happened.

As far as the Kings, I don't know. I know everyone wants Blake & Luc fired. But how often do you fire a GM & team president when they make the playoffs 3 years in a row? I'm also not sure ownership is going to make that call. Either way the Kings have to change their roster. And the big glaring spot is PLD. I've got nothing against him & I don't think he's just cashing a paycheck & doesn't care. But he's not worked out in the regular season or the playoffs. And I've heard Jim Fox say that his 1st year in Winnipeg was bad too. But then his next year took off. I'm not convinced that will happen again & I don't want to risk that it doesn't. We need to trade him before July 1. If that Sorokin deal is legit, I'd go for that instantly. We need to make better use of that cap space.

I don't know what next years cap is going to be except that it's more than this year. And Kopi's new deal gives us $3 million more. It's still going to be tight. Our biggest priority is paying Byfield & it should be a fat deal. If anyone thinks the Kings have no hope in the future, he's our hope. He's going to be a superstar. And I'd also like to resign Arvidsson for a reasonable deal. He's a leader. But I would let Roy go & replace him with Clarke. Clarke can learn to be a good defender. But Roy can never learn natural offensive skill & talent. That's what we need if we're going to get out of the hell that is an Oilers 1st round matchup. I also want to see Turcotte & Thomas in the lineup. We'll see what changes they make to the roster whether by trade or UFA. And we'll see if any changes are made to management or the coaching staff. It's frustrating to lose.

Go Kings Go!

Is that real or a joke? I turned the game off lol
I was Joking. In the hand shake line, Doughty and Mcdavid stopped and had a few words for each other. The officiating dictated the outcome of game 5 and I was thinking Doughty brought up the officiating crew was paid off. I tried to sleep off the fact I am pissed off but, woke up this morning still pissed off. I might have to take a sick day today.

10 seasons without a playoff win is hilariously inept. 3 straight thrashings at the hands of the Oilers. Boring, bad hockey with no direction. We’ve spent a full ****ing decade in the black hole Lombardi warned us about.

Honestly I’ve never been more embarrassed to be a Kings fan.

True given the fact it's the longest drought in team history. They've only won 7 playoff games since 2014. Yikes....

jom
That's seven playoff wins in 20 years, we're not machines afterall!

2024-05-02 07_42_44-Reddit - https___preview.redd.it_post-game-thread-los-angeles-kings-at-edm...png

Yeah, I was thinking of rooting for them out of the East, though I hate the Rangers.

Ok, I guess I hate all teams that are not the Kings.

i mean i'm like right next to the hurricanes and i'd about vomit trying to root for them. the rangers i do hate because they are a team as well but quick is there so i can kind root for one part of the team? idk.

sports are weird. even if I wanted to make a conscious effort to like another team and buy stuff and go to games or something. i couldn't. it'd make me like em less i think.

Last edited:
So I guess it wasn't McLellan.

Hiller was McLellan 0.8 - he's first to go.

I want to congratulate the Oilers & wish them all the best in their journey towards winning the Stanley Cup. But I can't. F**k them. McDavid's great, whatever. He's still the most boring superstar on the planet. But I truly despise Divesaitl. I hope he never wins the Cup, either with the Oilers or anywhere else. Anyway, I hate that team, I hate their players, I hate their fans, & I hope they get bounced in the next round.

In this game the refs sucked. Just like last game & the game before that. That said, we have to kill those penalties.

I like yer style esp. re: Oilers. A hex on them to never pass the WCF. Fans were booing injured Anderson off the ice. Fk that guy with this LED goggles too.

10 seasons without a playoff win is hilariously inept. 3 straight thrashings at the hands of the Oilers. Boring, bad hockey with no direction. We’ve spent a full ****ing decade in the black hole Lombardi warned us about.

Honestly I’ve never been more embarrassed to be a Kings fan.

yeah. this sucks.

possible futures? a true rebuild - boring but maybe necessary. a shuffling of assets/smart changes/etc. - may work if handled well. continue doing the same thing? - oh god no.

Last edited:
This is the first time ever that I am not really mad that the Kings lost in the playoffs. Why might you ask? Because the way this team played for the last 3/4 of the season showed that they were not playing well enough to win anything. I was not even sure they would get a single win in the playoffs against the Oilers.

This team has problems, but what are the answers?

Well, I have all of the answers, though doubt that any are correct. :)

I do think this PLD episode was a big mistake. Long term it may work out fine, if PLD can find his game in the coming years. He was brought in as a tweener 1st/2nd line center. He was not played like that this year. He was given tweener 3rd/4th line players to play with. Luc and Blake were so proud of this move and how it was going to put the Kings over the top into contender status. Since the middle of December this team's record was not even good enough to make the playoffs.

I like Fiala, he makes mistakes, but he is one of the best skaters and is the highest skilled player on this team. The last part of the season he made fewer mistakes and took fewer penalties. He also is a great backchecker, something he does not get alot of credit for. However, the trade for Fiala was costly. We traded a 1st round pic and a Calder finalist defensemen for him. Why did Blake include Faber? Was Blake really mad that Faber chose to stay in school and not join the Kings when the team wanted him to?

These last three "big" trades were not great for Blake, IMO. The Gavi and Korpi trade was not so bad, but he overpaid to keep Gavi. The PLD trade was a disaster. Both Blake and Luc were saying this trade was HUGE for the Kings and that PLD was going to help them go far in the playoffs. If that happened, great. However, we all know how the year went and what happened. Out in 5, with only one win in OT off a lucky bounce. This team is still in cap hell, and it has an average, or below average prospect pool. Blake's vision is not working.

This team could use a new direction, new management and some new players to along with that direction. Moving away from the 1-3-1 and having a more skilled and mobile defense would do wonders IMO.

I gotta go, so I guess that is enough ranting for now.

my favorite is still hearing people say we didnt utilize dubois properly.

Hiller was McLellan 0.8 - he's first to go.

I like yer style esp. re: Oilers. A hex on them to never pass the WCF. Fans were booing injured Anderson off the ice. Fk that guy with this LED goggles too.

yeah. this sucks.

possible futures? a true rebuild - boring but maybe necessary. a shuffling of assets/smart changes/etc. - may work if handled well. continue doing the same thing? - oh god no.

After Todd was fired Blake said (before Hiller even addressed the media as the new coach) there would be no changes to the Kings system. This was Rob Blake's team playing Rob Blake's system. Maybe unfair to blame Hiller for any of that, as he was doing what he was told.

If the Kings continue with Blake, and try to run this system/team again next year, I seriously doubt I will pay much attention to the LA Kings. It hurts to say that, but this year has been an absolute FAILURE for the Kings. The person mostly to blame for that is Blake and whoever else is helping Blake make decisions. (Marc and Luc on PLD, I am sure).

Back
Top Bottom