GDT ***Playoffs Rd1 GAME 5 GDT LA Kings @ Edmonton Oilers 5/1/24 7:00pm on BSW & ESPN***

Respectfully disagree. Kopi is a machine for a 56-year-old player. He’s giving three times what the team should expect from him. Doughty, while not flawless, is definitely a motivator and spark out there.

There’s nothing those guys can do, given the personnel they’ve got to work with. Besides, a letter on a jersey (or absence thereof) has no impact on whether someone can lead or not.

Kopi and Doighty have led us to two Cups. I think they’ve earned it and continue to demonstrate why, despite them both receiving retirement age social security benefits.
I'll be curious to know how they have demonstrated their competence this series.

Those were horrible calls, but not close to being two of the worst IMO.
I’ve been watching for 30 years now and when you combine situation and momentum…those were top 5. An embellishment call in the playoffs?? Please. And don’t get me started on the Dubois call. That’s called ‘Hockey’ and if you are gonna call that at this level than there is no point in playing the games. That said…and said vehemently…Edmonton was obviously better and there is no one but the Kings to blame for 0-12 on the PP. That was men against boys and a sad way to end the season.

I'll be curious to know how they have demonstrated their competence this series.
I get it, you expect more from them. Both are getting older and if there were some younger players that looked like they could take over the role that would be one thing. There are no such players, IMO and wearing the C and A is more than just on ice play.

Drew had some bad moments this PO's
Kopi had the game winner for the Kings only win.

So, ??????

I disagree that the Kings need a new captain. They need more leaders and some "drivers". Those players do not need to be the captain(s) of the team.
I mean, what is the leader going to do if your team is just inferior? And it’s a genuine question.

I don’t think the Kings had any realistic chance against Edmonton. There’s no comparison. What’s shifting around who wears the C going to do about that?

On the other hand, if you build a team with leaders, and actual capable players, like we did in the Lombardi era, then you see an impact. That’s a team that is expected to win and the degree or quality of leadership on the team could impact the outcome of a game.

Whereas, for this team, let’s face it, Kings are just happy to be here.

Special teams led to a 1.8 goals per game advantage for the Oilers. This is a different series if the Kings could just be league average. Kings played a passive diamond and would not leave the slot. Oilers would be under pressure and Kings just backed off at the faceoff circle or above the dots. Meanwhile the Oilers were hounding the Kings everywhere in the offensive zone. Hopefully the new staff can bring some fresh ideas to special teams.

Danault calling out the Kings lack of cap space at the deadline in his post game presser. Which is a bit surprising, mostly surprising that he was giving a post-game presser because I honestly don't remember him playing at all in this series. Completely invisible.

Happy swims over the summer Dolphin.
just-keep-swimming-dory-grabs-nemo-cave-27bbctpj1iwstc9x.gif

I don’t think the Kings had any realistic chance against Edmonton. There’s no comparison. What’s shifting around who wears the C going to do about that?
Kind of reminds me of the years UCLA made it to the Final Four and matched up with Florida, who were a great team, but just a REALLY bad matchup for UCLA. The Oilers are very good, but it's almost like they're specifically designed to beat the Kings, which is why I don't believe they have much of a chance to win the Cup.

I get it, you expect more from them. Both are getting older and if there were some younger players that looked like they could take over the role that would be one thing. There are no such players, IMO and wearing the C and A is more than just on ice play.

Drew had some bad moments this PO's
Kopi had the game winner for the Kings only win.

So, ??????
You are right, no one jumps out at this moment. We don't have a fiesty player who changes the game's momentum with a hit or a scrap. I thought Byfield would be something like that, but he has much to learn. I think at this point, I would try anyone. A new face, new responsibility. Can it be any worse?

Special teams led to a 1.8 goals per game advantage for the Oilers. This is a different series if the Kings could just be league average. Kings played a passive diamond and would not leave the slot. Oilers would be under pressure and Kings just backed off at the faceoff circle or above the dots. Meanwhile the Oilers were hounding the Kings everywhere in the offensive zone. Hopefully the new staff can bring some fresh ideas to special teams.
Frustrating because that is not the way they played the PK all year to placed at #1, #2 most of the last half of the year. Will be interesting to see how their next opponent fairs.

I’ve been watching for 30 years now and when you combine situation and momentum…those were top 5. An embellishment call in the playoffs?? Please. And don’t get me started on the Dubois call. That’s called ‘Hockey’ and if you are gonna call that at this level than there is no point in playing the games. That said…and said vehemently…Edmonton was obviously better and there is no one but the Kings to blame for 0-12 on the PP. That was men against boys and a sad way to end the season.
There have been a lot of bad calls that have lead "directly" to goals.

Remember that Sharks / Knights game were Pavelski fell to the ice and hit is head. The player tied up with him off the faceoff got a 5 minute major penalty and he did not even deserve 2 minutes.

Again, they were bad calls, but..............

Frustrating because that is not the way they played the PK all year to placed at #1, #2 most of the last half of the year. Will be interesting to see how their next opponent fairs.

The Oilers are a smart highly skilled team. They figured out how to solve the Kings PP. The Kings had no answer for them.

Same could be said about their PK.

Last edited:
Respectfully disagree. Kopi is a machine for a 56-year-old player. He’s giving three times what the team should expect from him. Doughty, while not flawless, is definitely a motivator and spark out there.

There’s nothing those guys can do, given the personnel they’ve got to work with. Besides, a letter on a jersey (or absence thereof) has no impact on whether someone can lead or not.

Kopi and Doighty have led us to two Cups. I think they’ve earned it and continue to demonstrate why, despite them both receiving retirement age social security benefits.

They may wear letters but they're not leaders. Ambassadors, yes.

I'll be curious to know how they have demonstrated their competence this series

Summary: this team sucks, nothing the caps can do about personnel weaknesses. They didn’t hurt the team, so they pass.

Overall, my take it is a garbage, hodge podge of a team. It feels like we have 12 second-line wingers that were forced to spread out over each line. We’ve also got 14 centers, only two of which play center (Kopi and Danault). There’s no structure or identity to this poop show. And, one of our 12 centers is paid $8.5M and was invisible all season and playoffs. Yet . . .

- Kings STILL made the playoffs.
- Kopi, despite his age/wear and tear/is still relied on conclusively as our first-line center
- Doughty is no doubt our top defensive defensemen (though, yes, he’s screwed up at least twice this series, but he’s also out there the entire game and certainly against the best forwards, so it’s not totally fair to knock him for that).

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom