All Things: Criterion

Criterion Announces May Titles

The Criterion Collection has announced that it will add six new titles to its Blu-ray catalog in May. Amongst them are Robert Altman's The Player, Nicholas Ray's In a Lonely Place, and Wim Wenders's Alice in the Cities, Kaneto Shindo's The Naked Island and a standalone release of Easy Rider.

Criterion Announces June Titles

The Criterion Collection has announced that it will add six new titles to its Blu-ray catalog in June. Amongst them are:

Ren? Laloux's Fantastic Planet
Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Michelangelo Antonioni's Le amiche
Alexander Hall's Here Comes Mr. Jordan
Jean Renoir's La Chienne
Olivier Assayas' Clouds Of Sils Maria

Wow, Fantastic Planet and Dr Strangelove!!!!!!!!!!!!

Criterion Announces July Titles

The Criterion Collection has announced that it will add six new titles to its Blu-ray catalog in July. Amongst them are Terrence Malick's The New World, Alain Resnais' Muriel, or The Time of Return, Arthur Hiller's The In-Laws, King Hu's A Touch Of Zen, Alain Resnais' Night & Fog and Herk Harvey's Carnival Of Souls.

It's about goddamn time Carnival Of Souls got an upgrade.

Cannes Classics Line-Up Revealed, New Restorations Announced

A lot of stuff I've never heard of getting restorations, but some exciting stuff too:

Decakolog 5 (Thou shalt not kill) and 6 (Thou shalt not commit adultery) by Krzysztof Kieślowski (1989, 57mn et 58mn, Poland). A presentation of MK2 and TVP. Restoration in 2K from original image negatives by TVP in Poland. The color-grading of each episode has been supervised by the DOPs of the episode they photographed.
Solyaris (Solaris) by Andre? Tarkovski (1972, 2h47, Russian Federation). A presentation of Mosfilm Cinema Concern. Digital frame-by-frame restoration of image and sound from 2K scan of the negative. Producer of the restoration: Karen Shakhnazarov.
Ugetsu monogatari (Ugetsu) by Kenji Mizoguchi (1953, 1h37, Japan). Presented by The Film Foundation, KADOKAWA Corporation, and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Restored by The Film Foundation and KADOKAWA Corporation at Cineric Laboratories. Special thanks to Masahiro Miyajima and Martin Scorsese for their consultation on this restoration. Restoration funding provided by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association in association with The Film Foundation and KADOKAWA Corporation.
Pit and The Pendulum by Roger Corman (1961, 1h20, USA). A presentation of Alta Vista Productions and MGM Studios/Park Circus. 35mm archival print made in conjunction with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and producer Jon Davison from the original negative at Fotokem Los Angeles with Mato DerAvanessian and supervised by Roger Corman. Damaged shots were restored digitally and re-cut into the film.

woah, just completed my last score on this B&N Criterion sale. This sale i got Chimes at Midnight, Short Cuts, McCabe & Mr.Miller, Lone Wold & Cub, Blood Simple, Punch Drunk Love, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.. Using new membership(-extra 10%) and B&N Mastercard(- extra 5% off) and one or two coupons. I spent about $160 this time out. Making new list of titles i want for the next sale in 2017. thanks for the heads up easter egg on Lone wolf secret plants, so very cool!!

Holy crap! A Criterion Ghost World!! :D

Announcing our May 2017 titles!

C4vYmKyWcAAvxav.jpg

https://www.criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1&s=release_date

Holy crap! A Criterion Ghost World!! :D

Announcing our May 2017 titles!

C4vYmKyWcAAvxav.jpg

https://www.criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1&s=release_date

This film, I think, was really notable and under-rated. I can't think of films before this where the nerd character was as fleshed out, complex and real as "normal" people. I'm not sure if there would have been a Napoleon Dynamite or Juno without Ghost World. It just feels like a really smart movie with faulty, odd characters that you can see a semblance of in yourself. And it's weird, that old Bollywood tune that opens and closes the movie still pops into my head from time to time.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom