All Things: DOCUMENTARIES

Review: Award Winning Documentary 'The Kill Team' | The Playlist

Parallels and sociological discussions could be prompted by "The Kill Team," which is both thorough and more of a conversation starter than capper. Today's generation of citizens and soldiers live in a world that seems bigger than ever before with the advance of the information age and the population growth worldwide. Death becomes something of an abstract concept: the weight and meaning is lost by those at a young age with no guidance, given a gun and just a little bit of adrenaline from being surrounded by peers. "The Kill Team" underlines how necessary and, sadly, insubstantial that it really is, when one soldier remarks that there was nothing "special" about the Kill Team themselves: they were just the ones that got caught. [A]

'Man With A Movie Camera' Tops Sight & Sound's List Of Best Documentaries Of All Time | The Playlist

1. Man With A Movie Camera, (Dziga Vertov, 1929)
2. Shoah (Claude Lanzmann, 1985)
3. Sans Soleil, (Chris Marker, 1982)
4. Night And Fog (Alain Resnais, 1955)
5. The Thin Blue Line (Errol Morris, 1989)
6. Chronicle Of A Summer (Jean Rouch & Edgar Morin, 1961)
7. Nanook Of The North (Robert Flaherty, 1922)
8. The Gleaners And I (Agn?s Varda, 2000)
9. Don’t Look Back (D.A. Pennebaker, 1967)
10. Grey Gardens (Albert and David Maysles, Ellen Hovde and Muffie Meyer, 1975)

You can watch Man With A Movie Camera online right there at the link.

'Kids' Actor Hamilton Harris Making A Documentary About Harmony Korine's Film | The Playlist

"After the movie happened, people who weren’t in it —but who were a part of the group— had gripes with this intrusion into our lives and people making money off it, while we’re still struggling, starving, and finding our way through life, alone. That’s not to say [the filmmakers] did us wrong on that, because those of us who were in the movie chose to be. But there was a lot of dysfunction both prior to and after the film's release—people going from being in this little subculture, dealing with these complex situations in a sleepless city, to being a part of this new pop culture, with all that dysfunction and trauma squared," he explained. "It’s still a very sensitive topic—there’s a lot of resentment. So this documentary is quite a responsibility on me, you know what I mean? I had to do a lot of reflecting on myself first to get to the point of even doing this interview, 20 years later."

Last edited:
Watch: Orson Welles’ Final Documentary 'Filming Othello' | The Playlist

Contrary to popular belief, “F for Fake” is not Orson Welles’s last completed film. That honor goes to the rarely seen (or even discussed) 1978 documentary “Filming Othello.” As you would expect from the title, the doc traces the creation of Welles’s 1952 Palme d’Or-winning adaptation of “Othello.” Though the film was never officially released outside of one screening at the 1978 Berlin Film Festival and two in New York in 1979 and 1987, you can now watch it in the comfort of your home, courtesy of The Seventh Art.

Finally watched Errol Morris' interview with Rumsfeld. My god what a fascinating peek into the mind of a sociopath.

Not nearly as engrossing as The Fog of War but I blame that on the subject. Rumsfeld is far too calculating to answer the difficult questions truthfully. There's very little insight from Rumsfeld. He's got a script in his head and he sticks to it.

Nobody does talking head docs better than Errol Morris and this one is another must watch.

Available on Netflix Instant.

Semi documentary on Charles Manson last night was outstanding. Lots of stuff not seen before. V.B did a great job piecing this together and making the jury understand as well as the public. Boy is really sick

Watch: Trailer For Sundance Award Winning Documentary 'The Overnighters' | ThePlaylist

[video=vimeo;102881502]http://vimeo.com/102881502[/video]

Sundance Review: Devastating Doc 'The Overnighters' A Humane Look At Compassion & The American Dream

Some of the story moments in “The Overnighters” bubble up too quickly and without enough context or connection to the overall narrative—this is not a film that is going to hold your hand and walk you through itself step by step. Issues rise to the surface and pop before you can even expect or process them, and there are a few times when, as an audience member, you want more guidance. But it’s truly more realistic this way, and the film is not going to slow down or over-explain for anything. It will leave you stunned, questioning, and unsure of what is right and what is wrong—as most great docs do. And Pastor Jay Reinke is one of the most unforgettable tragic figures in 2014 cinema. “The Overnighters” is starkly bleak and devastatingly humane, and an indelible American documentary. [A-]

VIFF Review: Hockey Doc 'Red Army' With Insight From Miracle On Ice Player Rob McClanahan

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom