All Things: DOCUMENTARIES

41k7pdAawXL._AA160_.jpg

Saw Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine last night. There's not a whole lot of new information in it; much of it evokes the biography by Walter Isaacson. However, it's nice to hear the stories directly from those involved, and the archival footage is fun.

Thinking about this movie two days before the Oscars makes me upset all over again that 20 Feet From Stardom was the Documentary winner two years ago. IMO, The Act of Killing is one of the best documentaries of all time. The Look of Silence does not match the uniqueness of The Act of Killing, but it is still compelling from its own perspective. If it wins Sunday, in my heart I believe it will be because the previous movie was overlooked; but I haven't seen all the nominees, so that's more conjecture out of emotion.

Incidentally, I'm terrible with dates, and in looking up information about The Act of Killing, I found a guy who felt the same as I until he saw Dirty Wars, which he now thinks should have been the winner. That seems amazing to me, so I'm going to look that one up; but I'm not expecting my opinion to be so moved.

Watch: 14-Minute ‘Dear Zachary’ Sequel Short Provides Some Solace in the Face of Tragedy
http://collider.com/dear-zachary-sequel-short-film/

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son about His Father is one of the best documentaries of the last ten years, but it will absolutely wreck you.

[spoilers ahead]

The 2008 film by Kurt Kuenne is about how his close friend Andrew Bagby was murdered by his ex-girlfriend Shirley Jane Turner. That dark story took a much darker turner when, while Turner was out on bail (the story takes place in Canada, which has far more lenient bail laws than the U.S.), murdered their 13-month-old child Zachary before committing suicide. Kuenne then follows Andrew’s parents, David and Kathleen, who mounted a campaign to reform the country’s bail laws.

The movie is rough at points, but it’s supposed to be. It’s a raw, visceral, emotional experience, and I highly encourage people to watch it even though it’s not an easy movie to see.

A 14-minute sequel short [via Pajiba] has now been released that follows the film’s success on the festival circuit, how the movie created a real change in Canada’s laws, and how the film even stopped some people from wanting to commit suicide. This is the power of great art, and I highly recommend checking it out.

Once you’ve seen the film (it’s available on Netflix), watch the bittersweet epilogue below:

Morgan Spurlock is here to ruin your day with a clip from his documentary about rats
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard...is-documentary-about-rats#i1j9LD2DO6eUptQ8.99

Propaganda? Seriously...I hope it presents a more balanced view. If you have ever known anyone with a rat for a pet they can be wonderful creatures. Yes, hordes of them are frightening in the same way Black Friday is.

I used to work with lab rats in psychology classes. And only a few of them were fellow students. :rimshot:

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom