LA Kings All Things PLD

If Vilardi could have been had for 3.5 mil per, I question this trade even more. Will have to wait and see what PLD brings next year.
I don’t think Vilardi’s contract has much to do with it. Blake didn’t bring in PLD to score 60 again the same way he didn’t bring in Danault to get single digit goals. He sold high on Gabe who probably wasn’t even worth a 3rd round pick the previous summer.

I don’t think Vilardi’s contract has much to do with it. Blake didn’t bring in PLD to score 60 again the same way he didn’t bring in Danault to get single digit goals. He sold high on Gabe who probably wasn’t even worth a 3rd round pick the previous summer.
I get that, I do. It was just easier to take when thinking Valardi was looking for more $ Durzi, Iafallo, Vilardi, Kupari is a lot to give up for a single player. However, I get the trade. It was an upgrade for a young top end center and those do not become available often. When they do, the cost assets. I had just liked the idea that Vilardi was asking for more $. It just made the trade easier to accept is all.

When it comes down to it, Durzi, Iafallo and Kupari/other RFAs were probably not going to be Kings next year either way.

I get that, I do. It was just easier to take when thinking Valardi was looking for more $ Durzi, Iafallo, Vilardi, Kupari is a lot to give up for a single player. However, I get the trade. It was an upgrade for a young top end center and those do not become available often. When they do, the cost assets. I had just liked the idea that Vilardi was asking for more $. It just made the trade easier to accept is all.

When it comes down to it, Durzi, Iafallo and Kupari/other RFAs were probably not going to be Kings next year either way.
Right on. I’ll admit that Vilardi filing for arbitration got me hoping he was going to pull a Cammalleri. While I’ve come around on this trade and I like it more than I don’t, it’s still an uneasy feeling right now and I welcome anything to make it easier to take.

I still think there’s something demonstrable in the contrast of PLD’s media time vs. Gabe’s, including what we have with the latter throughout the years. Or else I’m still just coping how I can!

For what it's worth, here's his Elite Prospects analysis:

1690065009117.png

I think some are longing for the days when the team would surround JQ and just play defense. Try to out muscle the other team and win games 2-1. There is to much speed and skill in the game today.
Baloney. The 2012 and 2014 Kings would do just grand today if the rules were the same as they were in those years. They don't have those type of players on the team today, and with the physical play toned down in the rules since then, they never will again. Defenders with that kind of reach, skill, and grinding play, are tough to come by these days.

Baloney. The 2012 and 2014 Kings would do just grand today if the rules were the same as they were in those years. They don't have those type of players on the team today, and with the physical play toned down in the rules since then, they never will again. Defenders with that kind of reach, skill, and grinding play, are tough to come by these days.
I agree, the players have more skill and the league wants them to be able to use it. So, they changed the rules to allow that happen. Not sure what is Baloney about my post. The two points kind of go hand in hand.

I agree, the players have more skill and the league wants them to be able to use it. So, they changed the rules to allow that happen. Not sure what is Baloney about my post. The two points kind of go hand in hand.
They have more skill on offense because they changed the rules to allow that to happen. Sticks are better too. Move todays teams into 2012 and the Kings would still crush them. Move the Kings 2012 defense into 2023 and Edmonton would have wilted in last years playoffs.

They have more skill on offense because they changed the rules to allow that to happen. Sticks are better too. Move todays teams into 2012 and the Kings would still crush them. Move the Kings 2012 defense into 2023 and Edmonton would have wilted in last years playoffs.

The 2012 Kings barely squeaked into the playoffs. Of course, we all know the steamroller they became once they qualified. But to say that the 2012 Kings would "crush" today's best teams is a bit of a stretch.

The 2012 Kings barely squeaked into the playoffs. Of course, we all know the steamroller they became once they qualified. But to say that the 2012 Kings would "crush" today's best teams is a bit of a stretch.
We'd still win two Cups against todays teams. No doubt in my mind. I've never been an advocate of CEIB.

I don't think there is a team out there today (last season) that would have stopped the 2012 Kings come playoff time. Additionally, the reason they squeaked in was it took time for Sutter to implement his system mid season - but I agree that there is a valid argument to be made as to whether or not they would have qualified last season.

I don't think there is a team out there today (last season) that would have stopped the 2012 Kings come playoff time. Additionally, the reason they squeaked in was it took time for Sutter to implement his system mid season - but I agree that there is a valid argument to be made as to whether or not they would have qualified last season.
You don't think the Kings would have done a lot of damage in the PO's last year if they had 2012 JQ as their goalie?

Last edited:
I saw some video where it stated the 2012 Kings were the most dominant playoff run, and the 2014 was the most entertaining, from a non Kings fan. I think either of those teams uhh, would be doing good right now. Same team under TMac? IDK. Goaltending was definitely more "important" in 2012-14 - this last year it kinda seemed like whatever, across the board. The elite goalie seems to be a bit of a thing of the past.

You don't think the Kings would have done a lot of damage in the PO's last year if they had 2012 JQ as their goalie?
Yeah, likely they could have won it all last season with last years team and 2012 Quick in net but they still wouldn't have compared to the 2012 Kings imo. 2012 Kings were heavy, defensively sound and everyone knew and perfected their roles from top to bottom (in addition to having a ridiculously dominant goalie). There was something special truly about that team.

No matter how you cut it that 2012 team at 16-4 through the top three seeds in the west was as dominant as a playoff force as ever has been seen. Sure they caught a few breaks in terms of other players injuries (Daniel Sedin being out helped, Raffi Torres being out probably not so much). The fact remains that no team had ever gone up 3-0 in four straight series on the road before. Lightning in a bottle, and it took all of them. You can cheerlead your favorites but even taking Fraz out from that squad upsets just how close to perfection that team was. I submit a decent list for your perusal

THE FIVE MOST DOMINANT STANLEY CUP RUNS IN NHL HISTORY

I do like the technical disclaimer on the Oilers needing 19 games as opposed to their officially recognized 18 game performance.

This is a player with 90 point skill but 60 point effort.

There are an awful lot of people here that are going to chest pumping when he is at a ppg pace until January, followed by a less than .5 ppg pace to close out the year where the others break out their "told you so's".

Dubois is NOT a certainty here, he is still very much a player that needs to make changes to his approach to the game to justify the kind of contract he was given. Based on his career up to this point, he has not even come close to deserving this type of commitment.

Dubois and Fiala are Dave Taylor era acquisitions: diet stars who are made available for a reason that are celebrated as major acquisitions. They aren't needle movers, just talented players and not cornerstones.

This team is weaker than the one that finished the playoffs. Worse in net, worse on the wing, Englund is worse than any of the three defensemen who left, and they contracted themselves into a corner where any non-LTIR injury that comes up will see the team struggling to even be able to ice a full compliment of players.

I could see the argument for this off-season if the Kings were looking from going from the 2nd round into contention, but they cannot even win a round with this group. Its just poor management.
This post aged most excellently.

Back
Top Bottom