LA Kings All Things PLD

It feels like overpayment with 3 roster players and a pick. (Yeah, I consider Kupari more a regular NHLer now.) This moves Danault down. I wonder how he'll feel about that.
But I do like our 3 centers now compared to the last few years.

Just guessing:
Kempe - Kopitar - Byfield
Fiala - DuBois - Arvidsson
Moore - Danault - Kaliyev?

(Yeah, that's right. I put Arvy still on line 2)

So the stupid, vague plan is now being revealed. Apparently, the priority was wingers (Moore, Arvidsson, Fiala) ... then centers (Danault, Dubois)... then I guess defense (Gavrikov is the sole upgrade there). All this time, Blake's been thinking, "Do the opposite of Dean!" Then thinks to himself: "Oh wait, who's my goalie?"
Opposite Dean strategy, that's great!

Before the last few years I don't remember players doing these types of interviews when being traded, coming to a team - has this always happened and was just on TV/papers, or is it more of a social media/tech/availability thing of the recent past? It's cool to hear the players more in this regard. I may have just missed them before.

I'll miss seeing Gabe's ridiculous hands. He ignored question on how Kopitar/Danault influenced him. Seems to be a sour attitude type of player, not just based on that interview IME - but I may be off base.

Last edited:
I find I am in agreement with some assessments from the talking heads on NHL Radio… acquiring Dubois, re-signing Gavrikov and re-acquiring Lewie puts the Kings in a position to realistically contend for one of the top 2 seeds in the Pacific. Dubois is an upgrade on Gabe and there is still enough talent in the pipeline to make us all forget Iafallo and Kupari (and the soon-to-be moved Grundstrom). This team will be better than many here seem to think.

I find I am in agreement with some assessments from the talking heads on NHL Radio… acquiring Dubois, re-signing Gavrikov and re-acquiring Lewie puts the Kings in a position to realistically contend for one of the top 2 seeds in the Pacific. Dubois is an upgrade on Gabe and there is still enough talent in the pipeline to make us all forget Iafallo and Kupari (and the soon-to-be moved Grundstrom). This team will be better than many here seem to think.
And the addition by subtraction of Durzi :)

104 points will be a tough nut to crack. But I believe, barring significant injuries, that it's possible with the upcoming lineup. (Fiala's late season injury cost them regular season points, playoff seeding, and better results against The Oil.)

104 points will be a tough nut to crack. But I believe, barring significant injuries, that it's possible with the upcoming lineup. (Fiala's late season injury cost them regular season points, playoff seeding, and better results against The Oil.)
It's gonna be a harder task for all four 2023 playoff teams in the Pacific to match last year's point totals. There is so much parity now among the top 4 teams of the Pacific. I think the Kings strength down the middle with scoring threats distributed across three lines will make the team very difficult to defend - as long as they stay reasonably healthy.

It's gonna be a harder task for all four 2023 playoff teams in the Pacific to match last year's point totals. There is so much parity now among the top 4 teams of the Pacific. I think the Kings strength down the middle with scoring threats distributed across three lines will make the team very difficult to defend - as long as they stay reasonably healthy.
And we only had Gavrikov for 20 games last year. Depending on how the 3rd pair fills out, we should be more consistent defensively.

And we only had Gavrikov for 20 games last year. Depending on how the 3rd pair fills out, we should be more consistent defensively.
Adding Gavrikov and inserting PLD on the 2nd line will do wonders for the overall team defense. Danault line moves down and will find more favorable matchups. Lizotte will get more favorable matchups and adding Lewis will add some jam to the bottom line plus help the PK.

Mix in a breakout year from Byfield or Kaliyev and we’re suddenly looking at the lineup that can skate with Vegas every night. Or roll 4 lines against Seattle. And best of all a lineup that cant be picked apart by the Oilers double shifting McDavid and the German.

Central has 3 very good teams in DAL, MIN, and COL. WPG’s not clear yet. But so far there’s a legitimate chance 5 Pacific teams make the playoffs.

F0kRx1-aEAEYJqC

Dubois is making his rounds.

I hate to say it but knowing Gabe has elected for arbitration makes this trade a lot easier to swallow. Simply put he wasn't taking the Mikey one year $1 million deal. Blake might have had to trade AI, Kupari and that second just to sign Gabe. Add in the injury history and really the only thing i dont like is the 8 year term on PLD.

I still think theres a decent chance PLD ends up playing wing on this team. I dont get any of you saying hes a selke type with a 45% FO percentage and over 50% offensive zone starts. I hate the abundance of video of him giving up on shifts. This dude needs to be more than just the memory of his 4 games against tampa in the playoffs when he was with lumbus. The last player Rob got with an amazing Lumbus playoff rep didnt work out so well.

I hate to say it but knowing Gabe has elected for arbitration makes this trade a lot easier to swallow. Simply put he wasn't taking the Mikey one year $1 million deal. Blake might have had to trade AI, Kupari and that second just to sign Gabe. Add in the injury history and really the only thing i dont like is the 8 year term on PLD.

I still think theres a decent chance PLD ends up playing wing on this team. I dont get any of you saying hes a selke type with a 45% FO percentage and over 50% offensive zone starts. I hate the abundance of video of him giving up on shifts. This dude needs to be more than just the memory of his 4 games against tampa in the playoffs when he was with lumbus. The last player Rob got with an amazing Lumbus playoff rep didnt work out so well.
Nobody is saying he's a Selke candidate. That won't be his role on this team. Danault is here to be the defensive stopper. Dubois is here to play within the system, use his considerable size and score points. The hope is practicing and playing with Kopitar and Danault will give him good matchups and maybe inspire him to up his defensive game.

Again the Kings had two viable Centers in the series against the OIlers. 2. That's it. When Danault and Kopitar were off the ice the Oilers destroyed any other pivot they tried to play 5v5. This will not happen with Dubois in the lineup. Whether he gets soft matchups or not a team like the Oilers will be forced to adjust their gameplan to limit his scoring opportunities. So, no, he won't regularly play wing unless Byfield takes a considerable leap in his development and forces the team to adjust. Should that happen we'll all be celebrating because it makes the team harder to play against.

I 100% agree with the Gabe & arbitration comment here... makes me think that Blake & Co. knew that was the route he was going to go, and that had a very high chance of locking us into a roster destined for another 1st round exit at best.

I 100% agree with the Gabe & arbitration comment here... makes me think that Blake & Co. knew that was the route he was going to go, and that had a very high chance of locking us into a roster destined for another 1st round exit at best.
The ultimate irony for anyone who thinks Blake trading away Vilardi leaves the Kings in the blackhole...

Vilardi arbitration hearing is set for July 28.

Nobody is saying he's a Selke candidate. That won't be his role on this team. Danault is here to be the defensive stopper. Dubois is here to play within the system, use his considerable size and score points. The hope is practicing and playing with Kopitar and Danault will give him good matchups and maybe inspire him to up his defensive game.

Again the Kings had two viable Centers in the series against the OIlers. 2. That's it. When Danault and Kopitar were off the ice the Oilers destroyed any other pivot they tried to play 5v5. This will not happen with Dubois in the lineup. Whether he gets soft matchups or not a team like the Oilers will be forced to adjust their gameplan to limit his scoring opportunities. So, no, he won't regularly play wing unless Byfield takes a considerable leap in his development and forces the team to adjust. Should that happen we'll all be celebrating because it makes the team harder to play against.
Theres been some suggestion about PLD having defensive chops in at least one post (Kopitar light), and the idea that hes a physical presence usually leads to that kind of thinking.

Still with the way Todd does things i can absolutely see him using PLD, on the wing, letting Lizotte take some defensive draws and generally driving all of us nuts.

No matter what, this season makes or breaks Blakes reign. These are indeed bold moves.

No matter what, this season makes or breaks Blakes reign. These are indeed bold moves.
Bernstein on SiriusXM said a few times in the last few weeks that Blake has had PLD on his radar for 3 years now without much further explanation. They must think he's a perfect fit for the offensive system they are trying to build here, or have some particular insight on his potential.

He was barely on my radar until this offseason.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom