LA Kings Development Camp

When was the last time the Kings had a prospect come out of nowhere to make a significant impact? Granted, there aren't many open spots in the lineup, but our blue chip guys are looking more and more underwhelming.

A guy like Laferriere, Thomas, Hughes, Cromiak, Simontoval, or Moevare really making a big step up would do wonders for the team.

At this point our top prospect is between Pinelli + Clarke. And yes, I am including QB + AK in that conversation.

I think Pinelli is the real MF'n deal.

Kaliyev or Byfield will crack 20 goals next season. Hell there's a good chance they both do it. Kaliyev next to Dubios on the PP could be a lethal combo next season.

Kaliyev or Byfield will crack 20 goals next season. Hell there's a good chance they both do it. Kaliyev next to Dubios on the PP could be a lethal combo next season.

I definitely wouldn't bet on both AK + QB getting 20 a piece next season.

But if they can both sniff 25 by some chance and Clarke can assert himself, this team has the sky and goaltending as their limit.

I hope you’re right because that would be a dream come true.

*EDIT* all my complaining and of course the roster is right here on this post :) should've known to check LGK and not social media for Kings news!

Hey guys, so no video this year or crazy thorough write up but thought I would share some of my notes from Monday:

Doin my best to not forget anyone but it wasn't made easy as there doesn't appear to be anything close to a complete roster anywhere. Funny enough I offered to make rosters for TSC as this is always a thing, but was told "we have rosters at the front every year". LA Kings are gonna LA Kings. Anyways...

Laferriere & Nousianen DNP, which was a bummer. Nousianen has been my "dont sleep on him" guy for awhile, and Lafrerriere is regarded to be one of the closest NHL ready prospects.

Top Performers:

1) Martin Chromiak - Every Dev Camp it feels like 1 sometimes 2 guys stand above the rest and look like NHL'ers amongst prospects. Chromiak was that guy for me today. Actually reminded me a lot of Tanner Pearson who was my past Dev Camp standout. NHL caliber shot, and the skating & awareness to put himself in position to utilize it often. In addition to scoring on the rush, I believe he had 2 assists today as well one on a nice set up that showed he's not just a shooter. Showed competance defensively as well, once staying with his man to the top of the zone and deflecting his shot out of play. Him and Fagemo are legitimate powerplay weapons. Keep an eye on them there this season.

2) Brandt Clarke - Probably wasn't much doubt if he is NHL ready, but he is. Just thinks the play a flash quicker. Made some great quick IQ plays. Had a knack today for sneaking down low stealthily catching the d off guard. Did that once today and set up a very nice cross crease tap in. No idea what his fitness dedication is like, but if he can put on a little muscle and embrace rubbing guys out in corners (like my ex) he would really round out his exceptional skillset.

3) Christian Stoever - The goaltender camp invite from Bowling Green really stood on his head today. His team had gotten hemmed in their zone several times and Stoever stood on his head while they were under siege. Made some crazy stops from in close during those under fire sequences.

While I'm on goalies: Watching some Michigan Hockey last season, I expected to be impressed with Erik Portillo today and was not disappointed. He was on Stoever's team, so had the opportunity to showcase his scramble while he also caught some of the under siege action. Ultimately felt like Stoever stood a bit more on his head today, but it was close with him and Portillo and I'm pretty high on Portillo.

Was very cool to see Mattias Sholl in net as an invite. He's a local kid who has ties to TSC & the Jr. Kings. I've watched him since he was playing Jr. Kings Bantam. Last Summer in the SoCal 4v4 tourney (also at TSC), he played out of his mind. Might not be your guy if you like bigger goalies, but a talented kid.

Another local kid that was cool to see with an invite, and Sholl's Jr. Kings teammate, Jacob Modry. Yup, Jaroslav's son.

Surprises:

David Breazeale? - Can't find this kid's name anywhere on one of these supposedly existing Dev Camp rosters that the Kings definitely without a doubt provide to the public every summer please stop asking. So, I am not positive but pretty sure this is who I was watching today. He's a 23 year old college guy which would make sense why he stood out. I liked his size, puck protection, and speed combination. Have a video clip of him pulling the D down low with him, rotating back up top, and releasing a shot that got tipped in for a goal. David Breazeale looked really good today...if that was David Breazeale.

Sean Tschigerl- WHL camp invite forward that showed a lot of hustle and intensity in battling and defending. Really looked to take pride in his play away from the puck.

Kasper Simontaival & Samuel Helenius - I've been really excited about these two since their WJC Performances & following draft selections. Simontaival is about as good of a prospect we have in the offensive ability department. And Helenius showed really good skill to go with his hulking size. Helenius had a very underwhelming first pro season, and I'm not thrilled to make this comparison but reminded me a bit of past forward prospect Justin Auger. Huge, yes. But relatively slow and behind the play. Simontaival I had really high hopes for because of his offensive dazzle, but I didn't really see any flashes from him today.

Francesco Pinelli - Fully expected Pinelli to be one of stand outs today, and I guess since he wasn't, I'll call that somewhat of a disappointment. Tough crowd I know. He had a great OHL season, made a couple decent plays today, and I've heard good things about the rest of his camp, but I didn't get any moments that stood out to me today from him.

Jacob Dvorak - The Kings first pick in the 2023 Draft was not a surprise at all actually. Figured he would be a big solid stay at home dman and that's exactly what he exhibited today. Paid close attention to his mobility being that's usually the make or break quality of a big framed defender, and thought he got around pretty well. Made a nice quick thinking IQ play, would love if that was a regular occurring part of his game we can expect.

Hope this helps for those who couldn't attend. If anyone wants to check out some of my more thorough video Rookie/Dev Camp reports from past seasons, check out my channel Holding Court on YouTube. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom