GDT ***LA Kings @ Tampa Bay Lightning GDT 1/9/24 4:00pm on BSW***

No, you can’t blame the coach for all this mess. Especially not the currently PLD fiasco.

But I still question several of McLellan’s in-game decisions, like always starting the 3-3 with the oh so slow Kopitar and Doughty?? And PLD was terrible today, WHY is he still out there in OT???

And how is it possible that he doesn’t call an timeout when Tampa gets their first goal?? Everyone in the building and at home watching saw that Kings were shaken, but no reaction at all from McLellan as usual! Is it even possible for him to do any in-game decisions that have a positive effect on the game??

Last edited:
While I am not quite fully on board with this, you may be right. What concerns me is watching this team play the last 6 games or so. Then thinking about the 2 quick playoff exits we have witnessed the last two years. Even if they turn this around and start to play better now I have zero confidence that they can get by anyone come playoff time.
I guess my sarcasm is sometimes too subtle (such as putting "panic" in all caps). No, it is not time to panic, after all they are not getting blown out just lopsided results from bad bounces (and I admit) some poor decision-making on the ice.

PLD's overtime performance was absolutely embarrassing. Gutless, heartless, minimal effort BS. The guy was overrated and this trade has exposed him. ANOTHER 2-0 lead squandered in the third. Kings down bad. Going to the game on Thursday, hope they figure it out...

Tonight it really does feel like the loser point. Pathetic.
At least the Oilers and Kraken didn't win last night. Whoops they did, by the end of the road trip the Kings will be out of 3rd place.

The OT selections have always baffled me. It’s 3 x 3. Speed kills.
Yet - Kopi always played. So did Brownie.

I never saw (or see) fast guys on the ice for the Kings.

Kempe / Byfield / Fiala / Spence / Clarke… those type of players.

The use of slower guys like Kopi / Drew / Gav just seems to be a defensive stance.

Congratulations to the following posters who correctly guessed there would be 0ppg's or 1 point for the former kings, nobody got both halves:

0 PPG (1 point):
Rogie-Vachon
Chateau Bow Wow
DRGinLBC
jammer06
hornman

1 Point former Kings (1 Point):
ICE24
CIrvine
AngelEyes
VCRW
KernCoKingFan
forum gold
Shackleford
SirJW
Nyssa42

Blowing 2 goal leads....well that's familiar to a whole lot of us. According to morehockeystats https://morehockeystats.com/teams/strikebacks This is the 6th blown 2 goal lead this season by the kings, which is leading the league. Most teams when they lose a game, do it after only having held a 1 goal lead. At that the kings have been more structured losing only 3 times after leading (compared to #Lumbus's league leading 14 such times). The imbalance seems to suggest momentum/in game changes and is clearly something that the leadership, coaching and culture are supposed to negate. This is newer feature considering over the last 3 seasons they haven't blown a 2 goal lead more than 4 times in a single season, while this year they are on pace for a staggering 13-14. Coaches and letter wearing players better not be surprised when they are under first scrutiny about this.

It's one thing to lose a 2-0 lead in the first period and ultimately lose the game (i.e. the recent Oilers and Red Wings games). It's another to lose a game when leading by a pair with 7 minutes left. The Kings were fortunate to even get one point, as Stamkos was set up in the slot for a one-timer with 2 minutes left. He doesn't miss those often (credit to Talbot for a key save there).

The bad bounces excuse goes a little too far. This team is playing tight. There must have been half dozen or more Kings who failed to catch a pass in the third. This team should be motivated to paste Detroit.

Beyond the valley of surrendering 2 goal leads, continuing to start 2 of your slowest players for the 3x3 OT track meet remains mind boggling. At least put fast players out there to counter the opposing teams fast players. We lost many 3x3s last year with slow guys plodding around chasing much faster players. Why would it be any different a year later? Kopi, Doughty, Gabrikov, Englund should never touch 3x3 ice.

It's one thing to lose a 2-0 lead in the first period and ultimately lose the game (i.e. the recent Oilers and Red Wings games). It's another to lose a game when leading by a pair with 7 minutes left. The Kings were fortunate to even get one point, as Stamkos was set up in the slot for a one-timer with 2 minutes left. He doesn't miss those often (credit to Talbot for a key save there).
on the other hand, Kings hit like 2-3 posts, with one of those coming pretty late in regulation off Lewis stick.

Kopi, Doughty, Gabrikov, Englund should never touch 3x3 ice.
I have my qualms about Doughty, but who else do you send out there at 3on3 besides him and spence? Also, somebody has to win those draws. I agree Kopitar is slow, but his faceoff prowess and ability to protect the puck does have it's own merit.

The use of slower guys like Kopi / Drew / Gav just seems to be a defensive stance.
I think part of the concern is puck control. You want guys you trust to not lose the puck and give up a 2 on 1 or breakaway. You're hoping Kopi can set up a guy like Kempe to score and both Kopi and Dewey will be responsible with the puck.

Beyond the valley of surrendering 2 goal leads, continuing to start 2 of your slowest players for the 3x3 OT track meet remains mind boggling. At least put fast players out there to counter the opposing teams fast players. We lost many 3x3s last year with slow guys plodding around chasing much faster players. Why would it be any different a year later? Kopi, Doughty, Gabrikov, Englund should never touch 3x3 ice.
You might just lose quicker if Fiala has one of his patented turnovers. :fpalm:

It's accountability time. Some well-deserved justice is needed. I hope TM has the balls to start selectively benching players more frequently during this funk. PLD would be the first among the players who might benefit from that kind of a wakeup call. It worked with Fiala for a game or two.

That’s the brilliance of tmac…. Every coaching strategy is Opposite Day. The obvious is never obvious with a coach who hasn’t changed since 2014.

Others mentioned this, but given the fact the kings have blown multiple third period leads in recent games, and the previous game, The idea that Tmac doesn’t call his time out after the first goal is coaching malpractice.

Back
Top Bottom